FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


GET $20frih to reply! CLOSED FOR NOW





coreymanshack
I would like as much feedback about the design of my website

http://www.php-gamers.com/ as I can get!

Any constructive, negative, or postitive comments are accepted!

If your reply is good enough (I can tell you actually went to the site and you are actually saying something that pertains to it) I will hand out $20frih to ya~!
tar-xzv
coreymanshack,

It's pretty nice. In my opinion...menu boxes that are grey are square. How would they look if you made them round? Round up the corners maybe.

I would do something about following immediately. See the http://www.php-gamers.com/ small text in the left corner which is so ugly to look at (using Firefox here). It looks like no hinting on linux os.

Also left upper corner, that php-gamers should stand out a bit more, no? It's the name of your site. The shadows behind it makes it look not so clean to me. Maybe it should even take more space. I'm looking at the Frihost logo on the left upper corner right now and it stands out very well.

Now, the background, you have like dark gray (visible on Apple display, I don't know if you see it) below the menu, you have black in the middle going all the way to the right end. They do not blend very much to me.

That grey border going from the menu and keeps going to the right end, does it have to be there? Can you move it a bit up/down or try to DEL it.

I would not change anything about forum page. It's like aqua theme, looks very clean and polished. Php Gamers stands out very well too; it's not too big nor too small.

Everything opens very quickly which can only be a positive thing Wink

Just so you know, this is my 2 cent opinion, and we all see thing differently. I hope I've helped you at least a bit.

Good luck with your site,
5ani
coreymanshack
thanks alot... on windowsxp professional version with firefox i do not get the grey background problem Sad..... could you send me a screenshot of this?


EDIT: I increased the brightness on my screen and i now see tha gray! soon to be fixed!

the text under the logo is kinda ugly i agree....
i will be trying several different button designs soon.

I'll make the logo a bit better, i agree that it is a bit bland! Razz

I try to make my site as user friendly as possible...that includes decreasing loading times Smile thanks for that compliment!

Your frih$ have been donated!~
Manofgames
I'm not sure if he mentioned it, but onmy screen @ school there is a light grey square next to your logo.

The text on homepage doesn't fit in with design.

Could do with extending the template to cover that text too.

And the text for the menu buttons doesn't quite fit in with the actual button design.

The pictures don't show up on game reviews, though that probly isn't ur fault.

But i have to agree that the foum is extremely cool.

what template have u used.

if its not urs what's called /where can i find it?? Very Happy

it really, really good
Kirth
No offence,

but i rly dont like it Sad
SamiTheBerber
I found good and bad things. When I came in your site, it looked nice. After few minutes surfing and familiarizing on site, I met some nasty things. Your logo has small url of your site and it's too thin text and it gets messy. Game Reviews -page has two images, which were hard to find on first time. You should lighter those images or change to other colour. Your forum looks nice like you have been told before.

And now about coding, which is my favorite subject and common thing in you page. If you want to talk about PHP and in forum also (x)html, I presume that you have valid code, but no. You could fix problems by using css, like it should fix on site like that. You use frames and tables ?!? Use div's, they are prettier and works better in you site. With PHP it is easy to make page work like now it work and much better with div's. So why don't you use them?

To Do -list:

Fix logo. Fix layout by using div's and css (drop frames). Fix images in Game Reviews -page.

You site has lots of potential to grow in big and famous site.
kirocone
I made u a logo. Didn't wrote the URL but I think it's unececary.
As for the page it is...ummm... Quite Good. Like the abstract image above the content.

It think the navigation is a little pooor. i think you should somehow connect it with the image that is sepparating the abstract image and the content, or move it lower. Like it is now, it looks like the navigation doesn't belong to this website.

In the game reviews, it took me 20 sec to realie that the pictures are links. Make an mouse over effect.!!!!1

best regars, don't forget to see the logo I posted......
coreymanshack
Kirth wrote:
No offence,

but i rly dont like it Sad



It's ok... whenever I get this theme good and done, I will include another theme. Also, my website is not for everyone and I just wanted feedback on the design. I really don't think this deserves any $frih. I can't even tell that you went to the site Sad
coreymanshack
kirocone wrote:
I made u a logo. Didn't wrote the URL but I think it's unececary.
As for the page it is...ummm... Quite Good. Like the abstract image above the content.

It think the navigation is a little pooor. i think you should somehow connect it with the image that is sepparating the abstract image and the content, or move it lower. Like it is now, it looks like the navigation doesn't belong to this website.

In the game reviews, it took me 20 sec to realie that the pictures are links. Make an mouse over effect.!!!!1

best regars, don't forget to see the logo I posted......



That logo look fairly good, and I may end up going with it. About the navigation I'm not sure that I want to change it. You are the first one that has said something about it. If I get more accusations on this, then it will be a problem. I can probably make the images brighter with an onmouseover effect where you will know that they link. That is a good idea.
coreymanshack
SamiTheBerber wrote:
I found good and bad things. When I came in your site, it looked nice. After few minutes surfing and familiarizing on site, I met some nasty things. Your logo has small url of your site and it's too thin text and it gets messy. Game Reviews -page has two images, which were hard to find on first time. You should lighter those images or change to other colour. Your forum looks nice like you have been told before.

And now about coding, which is my favorite subject and common thing in you page. If you want to talk about PHP and in forum also (x)html, I presume that you have valid code, but no. You could fix problems by using css, like it should fix on site like that. You use frames and tables ?!? Use div's, they are prettier and works better in you site. With PHP it is easy to make page work like now it work and much better with div's. So why don't you use them?

To Do -list:

Fix logo. Fix layout by using div's and css (drop frames). Fix images in Game Reviews -page.

You site has lots of potential to grow in big and famous site.


The logo redesign has been in progress for a few days now. Using div's I think is a big NONO tables go better for my purpose, div's are not always the best thing to use I have used them before and had bad expeirnces with them. Also I do use css, I only have two errors in my site according to W3C.

I think you are talking about the images that are after you click multiplayer or arcade. Those Images come straight from the main site that their game is from. I haven't done anything to the images, they are completley origonal. Although this is something on my to-do list.



EDIT: Logo has been redisigned. New logo is still a possiblilty.
coreymanshack
Manofgames wrote:
I'm not sure if he mentioned it, but onmy screen @ school there is a light grey square next to your logo.

The text on homepage doesn't fit in with design.

Could do with extending the template to cover that text too.

And the text for the menu buttons doesn't quite fit in with the actual button design.

The pictures don't show up on game reviews, though that probly isn't ur fault.

But i have to agree that the foum is extremely cool.

what template have u used.

if its not urs what's called /where can i find it?? Very Happy

it really, really good


Hello sir, could you recommend a text-style for my homepage? I've never EVER had any problems with any pictures showing up, I'll check on that immediatly. I don't quite know what you are talking about on the gray square, but I will try to see it with different monitor settings. The forums link for the template is at the bottom of the page. Thanks for your input! Razz

EDIT: Font changed to arial on the homepage. All changes will take effect to the rest of the website later on.
silentpark
If I'm right you started to build a plattform for php-based online games. You have four things you offer at you page.

1 - Introduction, whats going on here. (is ok)
2 - Game Reviews, Reviews of php-based games (maybe as blog?)
3 - A Forum, community for php game developers and for users.
4 - Chat (is this realy needed? i mean how often people use it?) (maybe shoutbox instead)

you have 4 subsites (with no real sub categories, for a small number of subsites a horizontal naviagtion will fit better (up to about 10 points horizontal navigation fits good)


everything in your layout is veeery big, maybe to big, as i think.
(the header is much to big max 150px would be ok for a page like yours)

its also very dark, dark could be used for allot of (reliable) stuff (jewellery for example) but i think light-colored will fit better to your site ( i mean you want to be reliable a source for reviews)


also i think i frame is not the best decision :/
think about a closed design, means boxes

a template that could work for you too, could be something similar to
http://gotoandplay.it - flash game dev help and reviews


am i right if i guess you use no cms (content management system) to post?



it might sound hard to you but i don't think your template fit to a site like you want to start,


take this as contructive feedback and the idia for a great web projekt that could give you years of fun and work, even as expierience. Your website with the template are of course first steps towards the aim, but i think there is allready a lot to change, i suggest: take your current template as an first experiment and now go on and let your idia grow!

i suggest a redesign:
use a cms
make reviews as blogpost (some postscript will do it, or use some blog script -> wordpress?)

try to make a simple, functional design, think about what you want to represent ('corperate identity' ^^)

and maybe ask for help, ask for designers etc. Smile



maybe make about 3 complete reviews for php based games (not this small ones as you reviewed them yet, a bit more complex) (take something like http://www.ogame.org/ (wich is of course php & sql),

an idia how a review could look like: take a look to reviews at http://jayisgames.com

often great projekts die due the lag of content, once you have content everything works much easier Smile
coreymanshack
silentpark wrote:
If I'm right you started to build a plattform for php-based online games. You have four things you offer at you page.

1 - Introduction, whats going on here. (is ok)
2 - Game Reviews, Reviews of php-based games (maybe as blog?)
3 - A Forum, community for php game developers and for users.
4 - Chat (is this realy needed? i mean how often people use it?) (maybe shoutbox instead)

you have 4 subsites (with no real sub categories, for a small number of subsites a horizontal naviagtion will fit better (up to about 10 points horizontal navigation fits good)


everything in your layout is veeery big, maybe to big, as i think.
(the header is much to big max 150px would be ok for a page like yours)

its also very dark, dark could be used for allot of (reliable) stuff (jewellery for example) but i think light-colored will fit better to your site ( i mean you want to be reliable a source for reviews)


also i think i frame is not the best decision :/
think about a closed design, means boxes

a template that could work for you too, could be something similar to
http://gotoandplay.it - flash game dev help and reviews


am i right if i guess you use no cms (content management system) to post?



it might sound hard to you but i don't think your template fit to a site like you want to start,


take this as contructive feedback and the idia for a great web projekt that could give you years of fun and work, even as expierience. Your website with the template are of course first steps towards the aim, but i think there is allready a lot to change, i suggest: take your current template as an first experiment and now go on and let your idia grow!

i suggest a redesign:
use a cms
make reviews as blogpost (some postscript will do it, or use some blog script -> wordpress?)

try to make a simple, functional design, think about what you want to represent ('corperate identity' ^^)

and maybe ask for help, ask for designers etc. Smile



maybe make about 3 complete reviews for php based games (not this small ones as you reviewed them yet, a bit more complex) (take something like http://www.ogame.org/ (wich is of course php & sql),

an idia how a review could look like: take a look to reviews at http://jayisgames.com

often great projekts die due the lag of content, once you have content everything works much easier Smile


I'm guessing you didn't read the info on the front page. it tells about how the game reveiws section is still under construction, I already know that the game reveiws is lacking, there will be plenty more reviews to come, those are basically test reviews where I can get things sorted out.

I refuse to use a cms, and I WILL NOT EVER, use a content management system, sorry bud.

Why is an iframe not the best descision? You gave no reason, I think it is perfect.
1) It cuts down loading times GREATLY
2) Everything can be kept neat and clean in one section of the page.

Chat mabye needs to be turned into shoutbox... true.... I'll consider it.

Layout is to big, that might also be true, I'll consider resizing it to make it smaller.

Thanks for your feedback! Razz

EDIT: Layout is now smaller.
Dragate
Coreymanshack, nice website

For design tips:

I think, your banner, needs some changing. The font of the "PHP-Gamers" doesn't really look "gaming"-like. No offence, I could be wrong, but I would choose something more gamelike, as in... I guess just game-like, I'm sure you know what I mean.

The menu font is quite bad too. The menu is in like Arial font, which doesn't really suit this page. The font of the content is okay, but your headings are purple. Your webpage is mostly blue/silver, I think you should try blue as headings.

and also, somehow, make the menu fade into the layout better. It just... stops...
coreymanshack
ok ill get on that font thing... and just so you know, the content font is arial also....I don't know what kind of monitor you are using, but the headings ARE NOT purple, they are no-where near purple. they are blue. I don't quite know what you mean by the menu fading, but I am working on a new menu.
looksbad
Meh not bad work on the buttons and colour schemes and wyou will have yourself a lovely lookign site Smile overall goodjob

sorry for my english
Related topics
why not add quick reply
Just a suggestion
FTP Codes
Quick Reply
Quick reply?
I'm asking again...pleaazze reply me..
reply box...?
Quick Reply
WHy I am not getting any reply from Forum Administrator ???
Moderators: Why did u closed my poll ?
[COMMUNITY PROJECT]Frihost Forum
FTP error codes -- What they mean
can i use my frih$
Dems: these are merely the facts
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Webmaster and Internet -> Design Tips

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.