FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Jumperfree mode

RiCtee
I checked my BIOS and when I wanted to change the FSB value (to overclock), it says you have to set the motherboard to jumperfree mode. How do you do it?
ForceRun
Dude, we need a lot more info to help you out. For starters what MoBo do you have? You should have some type of user manuel that came with the MoBo, or download it from the makers site. There might be some switch or jumper that you need to change to enable overclocking. And I suggest that you be careful if you don't know too much about messing around with the BIOS because you can screw you system up pretty bad if you don't have a clue what you are doing.
ocalhoun
You simply remove all the jumpers on the motherboard.

Twisted Evil I've been feeling evil lately.
ForceRun
I didn't know about that, most Mobos have different settings!!!
RiCtee
I guess MoBo = Motherboard??

ForceRun wrote:
For starters what MoBo do you have?

ASUS P4XP-X

I have the User's manual and in the Jumper's section (pg. 1-14), there's 2 sorta Jumpers that can be set. USB device wake-up and Clear RTC RAM. Which one is the one I should set?

There's a manual for download - http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4xp-x/e1193_p4xp-x.zip
badai
check in your manual the location of JEN jumper and how to set it.
ForceRun
yeah don't touch either of the two jumpers, try to find JEN jumper. Yes, sorry, MoBo = MotherBoard
RiCtee
So there's no help in the manual. No JEN Jumper. By the way, my CPU speed is 2600MHz, with a FSB of 133MHz and CPU multiplier of 18x. But in the manual, it says that the motherboard supports a FSB of 400MHz/533MHz. Do you think that it's too low and should be set higher?
psycosquirrel
The front side bus for s478's is usually 533MHz (more recent is 800, and some old are 400), and I don't think any P4 s478 has that high of a multiplier. Generally, the CPU effective speed is FSB x Multiplier. For example, if your statement about the multiplier is true, the effective speed would be an incredible 9.594GHz (.533 x 1Cool, which it is obviously not. My guess is you have a P4 with a FSB of 400, running a 6.5x multiplier.

Now on another note, if you have to ask how to change the FSB of your computer or how to set jumper-free mode, you are definently not ready to overclock. Research overclocking much more before you try to do anything, it is very possible for you to damage your computer (especially if you don't know how to reset the BIOS).
RiCtee
RiCtee wrote:
By the way, my CPU speed is 2600MHz

Sorry, the CPU speed should be 2400MHz.

So the FSB is set to 133MHz and the multiplier is 18x -> 133 x 18 = 2394 approx. 2400 MHz. What's wrong with that? My question was that should I change the FSB to a higher value and maybe decrease the multiplier as the motherboard supports up to a FSB of 533MHz, and would therefore increase the system performance.
psycosquirrel
Sure, try it. The lower the multiplier with the same frequency, the faster your core will be able to process things.

Sorry, I misread your post.

The mobo is an Asus, so it probably will not overclock too well. Either way, it is a lot of trial and error...