FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Removing Unread Mail

RiCtee
I don't know if this already answered somewhere, but...
How do you remove the "Unread Mail" in the Windows login screen? For all users.
crdowner
I might be drawing a blank but I can not think of any place in the Windows login screen that shows unread mail. Can you provide more details?
RiCtee

Get it now?? It's below the Username and right of the picture.
Teddy1
Either delete or read the messages Laughing. But the other way would have to make your email address not associated with windows XP which a little search on google can tell you how Wink.
crdowner
Oh, I do not see that screen since I turned off fast switching. I get the traditional log on screen instead.
Jaan
Sign in to MSN, sign out again, not shutdown. Also, you can try a cleaner, like Window Washer, or the one that comes with Tuneup Utilities.
Cheers.
sceptileex
I dont really think that works. From what i know, windows kinda associates with msn, so the only way is to make it not your default messenger. Just closing it like that is not a viable long term solution anyway, if it even works.
Bones
You can do this with a simple registry edit.
Open regedit and go to this key:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail

I would make a backup of the key before changing it by right clicking on it and selecting Export.

Then, right click on the UnreadMail key and select permissions.
Click on the System account and then check the box that says Deny under Full Control.

Restart the computer. You can also do the same thing for specific email accounts by changing the same permission on a specific email acct that you see listed inside the UnreadMail folder.

After denying access the system will no longer have permissions to update that key, although if you still see that you have unread mail, you can change the unread email count to zero, by double clicking on a specific email acct in the UnreadMail folder, then double click on the MessageCount key in the main window and changing the MessageCount value data to 0.

Hope this helps..
RiCtee
Bones wrote:
Then, right click on the UnreadMail key and select permissions.
Click on the System account and then check the box that says Deny under Full Control.

Would it work if you simply delete the whole key??
Bones
RiCtee wrote:
Would it work if you simply delete the whole key??

It should work with just deleting the key, as long as windows doesn't replace the key on a restart (some keys, like sp1 winsock reg keys are replaced on a restart if they are missing)
If you ever wanted to get the feature back, it's a lot easier to change a reg key permission than to recreate the entire key.

Another way to do it, would be to right click on the key and select export.
This will save a backup copy in the location that you specify. Then delete the key. You will be able to reimport the backup reg file if you ever need it just by double clicking on it.

Also, that key is specific to each user, so if you have multiple user profiles, you will have to delete it for each one.