FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cost of RAM....

Srs2388
I just downloaded windows vista and i need more ram to run it... i have 256MB i need 512...
so, i am going to buy a new 256, how much money does it cost to buy a new 256 stick?
eepman
I'd reccomend buying more than that. With only 512 you will not be able to run any of the good vista features, only the most basic system. Plus extra ram will speed up everything you do.

For a sampling of ram prices, look up your specific ram type at the site of your computer manufacturer, then look it up on www.newegg.com for some of the best prices.
diduknowthat
256mb stick of ram should cost you around $20 to $25 on newegg. 512mb stick of ram can sometimes drop to around $20 in stores, after MIR, but on newegg they're about $30 to $40.
crdowner
I too recommend buying more. RAM is pretty inexpensive these days and you only have so many memory slots on a motherboard. It is better to have larger DIMMS/SIMMS so you do not restrict your "capable" memory amount.
ForceRun
It matters what kind of Ram your MoBo can support, DDR400? DDR2? and how many slots do you have? I say at least 512 to run XP well. And at least 1 Gb to run Vista; most Ram is cheap and the added preformance is well worth the cost.
Srs2388
Thanks, I am glad it isn't expensive Very Happy I'll end up buying a new 512 stick and having 768MB instead it's ddr
Dwyer17
www.newegg.com

best site for the best parts and best prices.
bigdbag
You're going to need more than 512 mb to run vista smoothly, if at all. I would recommend more than 1 GB. A stick of 1GB DDR ram costs about 80 in most places. newegg usually has good deals.
DecayClan
If Dual DDR is enabled, in your motherboard, get 2x1GB ram. Your machine will fly! Not onlywill it have a nice huge memory, but also, double memory speed(from 400MHZ, to 800MHZ)!. Although, i generally, wouldn't recommend Vista, if you have less than 2GB... They will be crawling, and you will not be able to do much. I see no reason, in having widows vista, especially if your computer isn't high tech...
DecayClan
If Dual DDR is enabled, in your motherboard, get 2x1GB ram. Your machine will fly! Not onlywill it have a nice huge memory, but also, double memory speed(from 400MHZ, to 800MHZ)!. Although, i generally, wouldn't recommend Vista, if you have less than 2GB... They will be crawling, and you will not be able to do much. I see no reason, in having widows vista, especially if your computer isn't high tech...

P.S. Get the 2x1GB, and though the 256 module away or sell it at ebay Wink
ncwdavid
Ram is very cheap for its function. I am also updating my Ram to maybe 2Gig.
tamilchild
RAM
R - Random
A - Access
M - Memory

Random Access Memory is very useful for efficient computing. Nowadays RAM capacity is going to 2GB also the cost of RAM is low..... Laughing
k_s_baskar
RAM prices now become somewhat high in India. For lastest RAM and other computer spares prices you can visit

http://www.pcprice.info

Note: This site updates latest price list of computer spares in India. and hosted in frihost server.

Smile
neosree
Compared to the prices in sigapore, the prices in India is not that high. It is some what same.
brycearonium
you need at LEAST 1 gig, an i'd recomnd 2gigs. Vista tears through your ram, trust me i know. it uses 512 just sitting there. It's horible when it comes to system specs. But vista kind of sucks anyway. There snothing special about it, nothing new. it's like releasing whatw as already out there. Go mac, OS X. Somuch better! but thats not the point of this fourm. Ok memory, if you buy it in pacakages is cheeper, since you should get 2 gigs...