FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how to identify a PCI Express card?

riyadh
how do you identify a PCI Express card?
eepman
If you are looking for the slot on the motherboard, it will be the largest. Try looking at your motherboards documentation, usually found on your computer manufacturer's site.

If you have a card and want to know if it is pci-e and it is not labeled at all, then look for that card model, or other pci-e cards on www.google.com/images
ForceRun

Top is PCI-E 16x
Next are PCI-E 1x
and last is the standard PCI
ocalhoun
eepman wrote:
it will be the largest.

Hardly.
What about ISA or *shudder* VESA? (Now, those were huge!)
eepman
Did I say that, wow I must have been in some strange daze. Well, I mean for if he was looking for graphics card slot. And it was x16 on a current age. Then I think it would be largest. I guess I shouldn't make all those generalizations. Oh well.
badai
if you are looking for PCI Express, it would be the largest. if that motheboard still have ISA, then you should not looking for PCI Express or even AGP.

dumb!
ocalhoun
badai wrote:
if you are looking for PCI Express, it would be the largest. if that motheboard still have ISA, then you should not looking for PCI Express or even AGP.

dumb!

I've seen motherboards with both AGP and ISA. In fact, I hate the fact that ISA slots are no longer appearing on new motherboards. They work just fine for things that don't need a lot of speed, and are very very cheap (often free).
Another way to identify the PCI express slot is that it'll inevitably be the closest to the CPU on the motherboard (supposing it's there).
Bones
ocalhoun wrote:

I've seen motherboards with both AGP and ISA. In fact, I hate the fact that ISA slots are no longer appearing on new motherboards. They work just fine for things that don't need a lot of speed, and are very very cheap (often free).

I would guess that the reason they are so cheap is due to the fact that it is ancient hardware that is no longer used (though I am sure some backwoods pc's out there still have ISA devices)

Thats kinda like saying I wish 8-track players were still around Wink
ocalhoun
^ I suppose, but how else could I get a set of three wireless cards for a grand total of: Free? The only problem is that none of my newer PC's can use them, which is a direct result of not including sufficient backwards compatability in the interest of seeming cutting-edge. (The same reason new PC's have no floppy drives, mine has a 3.5" and a 5.25".)