FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

About the OpenOffice

Da Rossa
I recently got a copy of the OO in my language, Portuguese-Brazilian. I'm so far very glad with it, as I'd like to use as least paid programs as possible. My lack of knowledge it what prevents me from doing so.
In this case, I remember that M$ Office, Word specifically, could recognize when you typed a document in a language other than your own. As I got the Br-Pt version, I pasted an English text then all the words got red underlined. How can I make it recognize the other languages? Should I download and install somekind of library or what? Please help, I'm a completely noobie with OO... Smile
{name here}
Da Rossa wrote:
I recently got a copy of the OO in my language, Portuguese-Brazilian. I'm so far very glad with it, as I'd like to use as least paid programs as possible. My lack of knowledge it what prevents me from doing so.
In this case, I remember that M$ Office, Word specifically, could recognize when you typed a document in a language other than your own. As I got the Br-Pt version, I pasted an English text then all the words got red underlined. How can I make it recognize the other languages? Should I download and install somekind of library or what? Please help, I'm a completely noobie with OO... Smile

Perhaps there is a language selector somewhere in the spelling and grammar options? I haven't used open office in a while, but I believe it should have something like that, just like word. You will need to select the english dictionary.
travnik7
You should have the english spellchecker already installed on your version of OO.
- if you do, you can access it in the Tools->Spellcheck dialog window (or by pressing F7). On the bottom of the dialog window there is a "Dictionary language" dropdown menu, where you can select the english language.
- if you don't have the english spellchecker installed you can download it from the OO homepage.
Here is the link:
http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/download_dictionary.html#spelling
Da Rossa
{name here} wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:

Perhaps there is a language selector somewhere in the spelling and grammar options? I haven't used open office in a while, but I believe it should have something like that, just like word. You will need to select the english dictionary.

Haven't found anything about the languages in the help, and the dictionary contains only Port and Italian words. Does the OpenOffice support 'extensions', like Firefox? Let's say I'd like to add an English dictionary to it. How would that be possible?
Thanks until now mr. Name!! Smile
DimaSafr
Where did you get the Open Office from? I am really interested, please let me know.
travnik7
As I mentioned it in my previous post. You can download and install the dictionary from the link I posted in the previous message. It comes with a detailed instruction on how to install it.
Or is it something else you are looking for?
ocalhoun
Somewhere, buried in the settings is a way to select which dictionarie(s) are enabled. You just need to enable the English dictionary as well as your own. That should clear things up.
DimaSafr
Cheers. I am downloading it now. lets see what it is all about.
Da Rossa
I got from www.openoffice.org , browsed for the languages and selected mine, Portuguese-Br. Surprisingly it came with the Italian dictionary bundled too.
DimaSafr
My downloading screwed up! is there any other way of downolading Open Office without having to use Bit Torrent. Is there a direct download link?
orno
Dimasafr: Try here: http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.3/contribute.html?product=OpenOffice.org&os=win&lang=en&version=2.0.3

Just click Continue to Download to direct download the file... (or click on Donate Funds first to really help out the developers for making such kick ass stuff Smile)