FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can File Sharing Keep Alive?

187 Outlaw
Hello to All:

With the sudden and unexpected demise of the EDonkey 2000 p2p network. What is the immediate future of File sharing?

Do you think File sharing will ever be able to be terminated? Or will new networks still keep popping up?
Xcelerate
At the risk of getting insulted Shocked , I think they should all be removed. They cause more problems than the small benefits they have. While technically "legal", they are still mostly used for unmoral software/music stealing purposes.
tar-xzv
Hello,

Terminated? Hmmm, I don't sink so. Controlled in Canada? I don't know about that that. Controlled in the USA? I think so. Pls. don't ask me why, just read on the net. I agree that it's wrong sharing your appz, music, etc., but most of us still do it. Music & software today? Crap! Or am I like "stuck in 80s person"? The only music for ME, that is advancing a bit is trance/techno. Software...imagine us paying 190$ for windooze...of course the programmers are going to innovate more. Maybe stealing/sharing software is good, sales are down, ppl will look for an alternative. Let me pay nothing, let's burn that Linux distro on a cd/dvd and be off. Off the topic! /zip it Very Happy

Sorry It had to be this long.

5ani
Scott
I don't think file sharing will ever be terminated, or even brought down to a much more controllable level. There are tons of networks around already, and they are still popping up. As long as we are connected by the internet, I think people will continue their file sharing efforts.
RT Cunningham
File sharing has been with since the first BBS got started and will be with us long into the future, in one form or another.

Remember Napster? When it got shut down, 10 times the number popped up in it's place.

Besides actual P2P networks, there's still FTP and even HTTP. As long as they don't end up on a search engine, and all the members keep it hush hush, they can do it without ever being detected.

How about the private P2P sites? How many exist, no one can say. Membership is usually by invitation.

The only thing that will reduce (but not eliminate) file sharing is fair prices for products, regardless of the product.
Josso
There are other networks, this has been no great loss.

But yes I agree with everyone else in saying they are rarely used for legal activies.
djwayno
Well i know that illegal mp3 sharing software will just fade out anyway. Because this billion doller company is launching a legal advertisment based website to download all music. The geeza who is launching it is worth about $15billion.

the websites www.spiralfrog.com
Aless
I think people wouldn't mind doing legal downloads if they were more affordable. Paying $1 for every music track is a bit rich, when sometimes that's more expensive than the retail CD costs! There used to be a Russian MP3 site that offered music for pennies (or fractions of pennies), but I think it's shut down now.
karysky
RT Cunningham wrote:
File sharing has been with since the first BBS got started and will be with us long into the future, in one form or another.

Remember Napster? When it got shut down, 10 times the number popped up in it's place.

Besides actual P2P networks, there's still FTP and even HTTP. As long as they don't end up on a search engine, and all the members keep it hush hush, they can do it without ever being detected.

How about the private P2P sites? How many exist, no one can say. Membership is usually by invitation.

The only thing that will reduce (but not eliminate) file sharing is fair prices for products, regardless of the product.

But wouldn't reducing the prices of said products reduce the guilt people might feel towards illegal downloads? That is to say, wouldn't they think: "Oh well, that is just 5$... one more 5$ or one less, what's the big deal?"

As for me, I'm addicted to P2P sharing. I download a lot of songs to get a sample of the album I'm interested in. If I like it, I buy it. Without P2P sharing, I wouldn't buy any new album, because I'd hate losing money over something I risk disliking.
ainieas
I see file sharing as having a positive side too. Just notice how many people download a sample song to get the album later. I do though that this is very widely abused by most. Also sometimes I share files - videos and stuff of self or friends which I know everyone will enjoy. I guess in one avatar or another file sharing will live.
Aless
And really, I don't see how sharing TV shows is unethical or legal, since the broadcast came free to begin with.
Ray Gravin
Im as guilty as the next in this area I guess... I do try to keep from using pirate software now though. Mp3's and Videos are a diffrent story still. I Think the lose of album art and the small to great lose of quality make this justifiable.

I like to buy the albums of the bands I really like. I even buy the ones I know will not be as good as there previous work becouse of a "fan boy" mentality. I think that this form of media distribution will become a fact of life and industry will have to adjust to cater to a new consumer. Its not the same just downloading some of the songs from an album. If an artist releases something worth the trouble... people will still buy there physical recordings.

Its like reading a book on a computer screen, Id much rather have it in front of me in ink. It just feels much more tangable. Its clearer, and gives a better sense of connection to the media. Neither form of distribution is in line for extinction, mabe evolution, but never extinction.
karysky
Ray Gravin wrote:
Im as guilty as the next in this area I guess... I do try to keep from using pirate software now though. Mp3's and Videos are a diffrent story still. I Think the lose of album art and the small to great lose of quality make this justifiable.

I like to buy the albums of the bands I really like. I even buy the ones I know will not be as good as there previous work becouse of a "fan boy" mentality. I think that this form of media distribution will become a fact of life and industry will have to adjust to cater to a new consumer. Its not the same just downloading some of the songs from an album. If an artist releases something worth the trouble... people will still buy there physical recordings.

Its like reading a book on a computer screen, Id much rather have it in front of me in ink. It just feels much more tangable. Its clearer, and gives a better sense of connection to the media. Neither form of distribution is in line for extinction, mabe evolution, but never extinction.

I completely agree with you on that.

Nothing to add. Just as you said.
chrisu
File sharing can never be completly shut down. There will always be new systems and it is going more and more unerground (private sites with invites and so on).

For years the music and movie industry have done some bad decissions as trying to shut down the sites or trying to make so that their releases can't be copied. This have only made the consumers angry. They haven't thought of why people are downloading everything instead of buying it at the markets. Maybe because it is so easy to download.

You could ask why the movie or music industry haven't put all this money to develope a good and easy system for downloading movies and music legally. Now it looks like there are some who are trying out this, but why this late. The technic have been here for years.
Jaan
I can't really see it terminated in the near future. Just keeps growing. Shocked Evil or Very Mad
allanxiao
There's not adequate solution for it currently. So I guess it will keep expanding.
Idoru
Many brilliant computer-minds fileshare for one or another reason. I dare to say that
these people can find a way to keep doing that, since it's also they who bring new things
to programming, comp-development, etc. 'Information want to be free', ya know. Wink
scotty
RT Cunningham wrote:

That is so true, when something great it taken away something better surfaces, endless cycle. They could turn off the internet maybe Evil or Very Mad
bdoneck
It's called file sharing for a reason. It's file SHARING amd since taking something that is given to you is not wrong, this whole shpeal of file sharing cannot and will not ever be stopped. The only copyright infringements in file sharing is the person that sends the file if it is copywritten and since the creators of the software can play dumb saying it wasn't intended for illegal sharing use, it will never be completely shut down.
snowboardalliance
Xcelerate wrote:
At the risk of getting insulted Shocked , I think they should all be removed. They cause more problems than the small benefits they have. While technically "legal", they are still mostly used for unmoral software/music stealing purposes.

Yeah it'd be a shame if record company ran out of money to promote bands on MTV or whatever useless things they use it on.

I think it's cool when bands say they support music piracy. Like thursday encourages it for people who can't afford to keep buying CDs.

Anyway, I personally don't do it for several reasons. First you have to really look around for quality, to avoid the crappy ones, fake ones, and wierd recorded ones. Second, the selection sometimes doesn't have what you want. Finally, if I really like a band, I want to actaully have thier CD. The full quality, with the case and artwork.
When I do download, it's usually when I need one song or I don't really care about the band but I would want their music for free.

Finally, the paid services will never replace p2p for the simple reason that they are limitted files offered with DRM attached to them. Who wants some .mp4 or whatever it's called that limits its use when they can get the .mp3 unrestricted?
Vrythramax
I also believe they should all be removed. It's just another form of spreading warez, and we all know that's illegal.

Do I think it will ever go away...not a chance. There are too many people who are to cheap (yes cheap) to go out and buy the software. As long as there are cracks, hacks, work-arounds, and of course warez, these types of networks will never die out...they will just move to another host and continue.
scotty
What do people think about downloading TV shows? In Australia some are unavailable ever and if they are they are usually a season behind and it's no fun watching one year old television! Fox now let you watch their shows on the internet, as far as I know it is fairly poor quality and you have to live in America but as far as I can see this the first step towards letting people watch what they want when they want even if it does have ads you can still watch it on demand!
Vrythramax
@scotty

Here in the US we are allowed to copy TV shows on VHS for personal use only. It is illegal to distribute those shows, or even make them avaiable for public showing. As for music CD's and DVD's it is completly illegal to copy them for any reason....that goes for mp3's also, you can download them for personal use, but it's illegal to distribute them...even by trading with friends.
monzoncf
you can do a File sharing as long as you don't get over the line. Meaning, share only your files not the others. Example: your documents, pictures. But sharing copyrighted materials such as softwares, movies, music, and others are illegal.
scotty
No offence I don't want to read your files, the letter you wrote or the school project you just finished doesn't interest me. Razz
tom69
I don't think anyone would ever be able to terminae all P2P programs there are thousands of them only way would be to shut down all internet on earth Wink

Who has the switch???
CompactHaven
If you wouldn't have purchased it in the first place, then you are neither depriving nor preventing someone from gaining money they would have gained in a future sale. Not theft.
/unless you would have purchased the cd movie had it not been free.
_VMX_
File sharing will never meet an end, that is completely obvious, unless Internet meets an end too.

And file sharing is doing SO MUCH good to the society in general, no one can tell. I wouldn't know 80% of the music I currently know if it weren't for it, lots of people would still be paying for the crap radio and TV-promoted artists because most of them wouldn't even know any others.

70% of the total existing music in the world can't even be obtained by paying for it (outdated, etc) while you can easily find it all in emule... it would be a huge mistake to believe that it'd be good to remove file sharing.

And ask the hundreds of still unknown artists (I know quite a few personally) who have found an incredibly fast, easy and cheap (free) way to promote themselves without having to pay a company full of thieves to play their songs in the radio or publicite them in magazines. They don't care to give their music away for free, they just want to get to as many people as possible, so that they become known and more people will go to their concerts when they perform somewhere.

I could go on forever, but you can use google as well...
xMOBx Nor Cal
of course file sharing can stay alive... its to big for any country to control it and to many people are invovled and keep it goin... they can try all the want but its just like satillite radio... the fcc can't control that because its a global network... same thing with kazza and limewire and other p2p apps... its a global network... so its not just up to them to stop it
Slick
while companies charge so much for programs with often lil being updated and often bugs created...

also programmers being lazy and just releasing any old crap and then patches later...

file sharing will be around!

if somethings worth buying people will!
tolerance
I have a hard time believing P2P networks will ever completely disappear -- they are extremely popular and it's easy to see why. You can pick and choose your own music, if you don't like it you aren't out any money, and usually whatever you want to download is easily accessible (whereas you might go from store to store looking for a certain CD or software program.)

And all the time I hear a good song (or two) from a band, go out and buy the CD, and have it wind up where I only like the song I heard on the radio and the other 12 are just awful, which means I basically paid $15 for one song... is that really any more fair than people who download songs off of file sharing? Honestly I think if CDs would lower their prices a little they would see an increase in sales; I'm wary about buying a CD for $15 because of the above reason, but if it was $7-10 I'd be willing to take more of a risk, and I'm sure there are others who feel the same.

But on the other end I can understand artists getting upset with users who steal their work without paying for it. It must be very frustrating to work on a new album and put all that time and effort into it, only to have no one buy it because they can all go download it for free off of whatever the current hot P2P network is.
seanooi
to me, i don't think file sharing will ever stop. There will always be people out there who will be distributing stuffs. Laughing
Vrythramax
File sharing can be a good thing, it's basically how the Internet got started, but when used to spread warez and such it becomes a real burden. As I pointed out in an earlier post file sharing will never truly go away, but I think some kind of measures should be taken towards regulating it in some fashion.

There are literally thousands of programmers and artists out there losing millions of dollars due to p2p networks that only exist to spread illegal software, music and the like.
umeshtangnu
There are other networks, this has been no great loss.

But yes I agree with everyone else in saying they are rarely used for legal activies.
test32rota
P2P will be live a long time, don't forget that exist tonns of legal stuff waiting for distribution. Examples: some latest Linux/BSD distro or new release of Open Office. P2P can greatly abate server load.
But may be popularity of P2P software will be decreased.
Vrythramax
test32rota wrote:
P2P will be live a long time, don't forget that exist tonns of legal stuff waiting for distribution. Examples: some latest Linux/BSD distro or new release of Open Office. P2P can greatly abate server load.
But may be popularity of P2P software will be decreased.

With all due respect, I am a project administrator for Sourceforge.net and the distribution of opensource software has nothing to do with the p2p protocal....by definition p2p means "point-to-point", a direct connection. Legit software distros use an differant protocal altogether.
test32rota
But this is example:
you can download knoppix distro trough bittorent.
See knoppix download page
sibbahz
I doubt it will ever completly stop. People can still email songs to each other and send via IRC and MSN etc.
With official file sharing networks, as many people are saying, when one closes there is almost always one to follow.
Then theres that site run by piratbyran. the sweedish political party.
(not putting the link to the main site as dont really want to get banned)
godam64
i think file sharing would never dies. you can share a lot of things through instant messenger or through irc.

irc is an old way to share somethings and it's still exist til now. just run your mirc and find the right irc server and channel to start getting files or run your own file serve easily. Rolling Eyes
raaeft1
Torrents and file sharing will be around for some time so long as softwares are exorbitantly priced especially in India
eggg
Bootlegging existed before the internet, and it will exist after the internet. I don't think you could stop it on the internet unless you were so invasive of people's privacy that they would lose the desire to use the internet. Filesharing will not die. Look at how quickly replacements spring up whenever a particular site or network goes down.

With regards to music, I can hear music on the streetcorners of Olympia that I like better than the tired garbage being peddles by the record industry. I will not pay $10+ for a CD. Most people seem to agree.
skygaia
Hm...
eDonkey is very popular P2P network. But these days I was told many times that people who are using eDonkey were sued.
Many movies and musics are sharing by p2p program like eDonkey. However it's illegal...

In my country, some web storages are getting popular now. Web storage's companies are trying to keep intelectual law and often notice that to all users..

I think web storage site (or web hard) could be major for file sharing instead P2P program
SFMeatwad
I think that file sharing should be kept alive. For one, you get free music and God wants us to share, correct? Then why terminate it? That's sinning! Smile Hahah.

Well, in other words, in all means of file sharing, I just want music, no files or anything. Viruses and trojans are a problem on the P2P network, however.
chemicalplay
filesharing networks like those using bit torrent, rely heavily on the upload speed of the swarm. although download speed has increased dramatically recently ( from 512kbps to 8mbps ), upload speeds still remain at a grind ( 256kbps to 512kbps ). this is limiting the distribution speed on the file sharing networks.

it looks like an industry boycott of the filesharing networks. service providers may have seized the oppertunity to restrict the growth, popularity and bandwidth of p2p networking.