FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Input please

Saber
Hey, well about a year ago I had asked for some help with my departments website.

Now Im asking for input.
I have changed a few things and I know more needs to change but I just am having one of those many brain cramps... I know its just the main page and so the links dont work. And I haven't finished with the images, due to I dont have ones that aren't grainy at the moment.

well please give me your input(real input, not just, "it looks good")

heh forgot the link.
www.academics.uww.edu/hperc/beta/

-saber
Saber
*bump*

no one has any comments or input?
thats sorta rare..
grade8_web
Well I have something to say first I think it is a nice site and it looks awsome only the links I think they can be made ot look better maby change the font for the links or make the links images instead of just basic text. Other wise it is very good.
Saber
Thanks for your input, I knew at one point I would have to change those, and they do look a bit out of place.

Ill mess around with them later tonight and see what I come up with.

-saber
grade8_web
Hey thanks for using my suggestion or opinion or whatever and I am glad to help.
Georgeboy
Hi,

I should say, this is a well designed page.

Maybe I can tell you that I had some problems to read on your homepage the comments under the pictures in white. Your background is too bright to use a white font. Pe, I should try to use as font color #666666 or #333333. Just use a color that is darker then your background, but more brighten then your photo title. You can also change the backgroundcolor...

I would make some personal comment about the font-family. I suppose that this is Times New Roman? You better choose for Verdana, century gothic... Just think it over...

Maybe someone made you allready attent about it, but there are some dead links !! The news links on the homepage don't work. Try to make an own 404 error page or put an under construction page under these links if the page doesn't exist at this time...

Good luck !!
Saber
Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
I'll test different fonts when I get to work on monday, thats for suggesting some.

Also I never thought about the white text, I dont think I would have ever had that cross my mind if you hadnt said someting.

As for the broken links, I know that there are some, and thats why I'm putting this in the 'beta' folder, the main site is still up and working, but looks hoorrible.

As for the error pages. I dont think I have the ability to do this(I dont have control/say what I want, the UW has only allowed me to put html/xml/etc, css , images/files and java scipt. No control panel, php, or other scripting. Maybe that doesnt matter, am I able to just make a page and call it 404.html or something?)

-saber
Saber
Ok, well now I think I have gotten everything,

I changed the fonts, and colors of some things,
There shouldn't be any broken links,
working on making it 508 compliant.

Any other comments please?

Also if you have different browsers please tell me what works and what doesn't. Such as in Safari the index page images need to be clicked and held to see the Image where as others you just need to click.

I plan on putting this page up live and a shot while, so help me out here a bit.
Thanks for the comments so far,

-saber
Donutey
The image gallery is a little awkward, having to click and hold down to see an image is unconventional for most users.
Saber
Yah I noticed that for firefox and safari, Im tring to think of a way to fix that, I'm not sure, and I dont really want to use javascript, so Im using css, and yah..

Or just other ideas to sorta do the same thing woruld help.

What about the rest of the site?
sbel
Donutey wrote:
The image gallery is a little awkward, having to click and hold down to see an image is unconventional for most users.

oh i noticed that you click, and release outside the thumb to make the image stay. lol.
yea you might want to fix that

other than that, this is a well designed site
GB
I think you are doing a great job here and I have a few suggestions.

Home Page: Right now the photos are dominant. Have you considered a different arrangement featuring news as a top priority. Perhaps you could make a "NEWS" header and have the different stories underneath it. The photos could be to the right and set up like this:

MAIN PHOTO
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

where 1-7 are thumbnails

As far as the photos, could you use AJAX to do what you're thinking? I've never used it, but it sounds promising. A List Apart has a good article and you may be able to find more online.

I would also recommend having a home link in the navigation box on the left side. In addition I would set a line height in that navigation box to something like 150%:
Code:
#nav {line-height: 150%}

This will help to differentiate the links. Currently, it is hard to tell where they each end.

I hope this helps some. You are doing a good job and I'm sure it will look much better than what they do have up!
Saber
hmm thanks for the help again.
The idea for putting news first I had thought about, but the thing I dont think would work about that is that that news allmost never is new.
Those are still from mid last year. I have tried talking to my boss about having more uptodate news but he doesnt want it to change.

as for the NAV, thats a good idea, and the Home in the NAv I also have gotten that a few times.

Im going to put those in later today when I get back from class.

Also I decided to put it up so the new link is www.academics.uww.edu/hperc
or just take off the beta.

-saber
rein
I like the site so far. It's easy to navigate and the colors are nice. That being said, i do think it's a bit plain (read: boring).
This is a box, that is a box .. all boxes have a litle black border around them. That's all very tidy and organized but it isn't exactly eyecandy is it?

Also, the key thing to a good website is user interactivity. It's a website for your entire school so give students their say on things. Have polls and discussion, have downloads and columnists. Make it more alive.
Saber
rein wrote:
I like the site so far. It's easy to navigate and the colors are nice. That being said, i do think it's a bit plain (read: boring).
This is a box, that is a box .. all boxes have a litle black border around them. That's all very tidy and organized but it isn't exactly eyecandy is it?

Also, the key thing to a good website is user interactivity. It's a website for your entire school so give students their say on things. Have polls and discussion, have downloads and columnists. Make it more alive.

I agree with you, although thats where I run into a problem. Im not much of a designer and so that limits my creativity, but also Im trying to make this 508 compliant, and I never had to do that before.

As for the student input, I wish people would, my boss is one of those older guys that doesnt like change. At one point I got him to let me put of a form for students to say what they liked and what they wanted to see, the only problem was that he only allowed me to do that if he alone got the responses.

Have I seen anything thats come in? Nope...

The other problem is that The head web master has limited what scripts are able to run, and I have to get other things approved before I can put them up.

So that means, no php, or sql, or cgi, or perl, or even some javascript.

But again, thanks for the input, and hopefully some day they will let me do something to make it better.

-saber