FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best free website builder?

MidgetLoverRecords
Any suggestions out there on what the best free and easiest website builder out there is? I'm not very advanced, but I need to get somethin' good up there. Also, chicken nuggets rock! I just had some, but they didn't help me with the website I want to build. Any help would be helpful. thanks
tidruG
moved to the Design Tips forum.
Kirth
NotePade Smile
You cant get any bettar than good 'ol notepad Smile.
Dragonfly-online
Yeah, actually you can. Its called Metapad. Same interface. Lots more features. By the way, if you are talking about a website creater,if you have a MAC with Mac OS X, there's some sort of website creater for that... and theres a new one at google, at the google labs section, but i havent tried that either.
manumiglani
You could try trellian ( http://www.trellian.com/webpage/ ) or Nvu ( http://nvu.com/index.php )
Kyoushu
I recommend either buying Dreamweaver 8(makes it alot easier to design/make a site) or downloading nvu for free. My 2 cents.
Georgeboy
If you really search for a free editor. Try working with notepad. Just as Kirth said... Just start from a new page and start typing... Wink It's easy in use and if you work on a windowsmachine, you don't have to download anything...

Greetz
lepris
Aptana rocks http://www.aptana.com/ maybe it's not the simpliest one, as it was not meant as a solution for building simple pages, but I find working with it very rewarding. It has the basic WYSIWYG functionality(like preview).
To those recommending Dreamweaver:
It's not cool to learn spftware which is quite expensive and probably unaffordable at the beginning. Appart from that you have surely discovered that using WYSIWYG at the starting point does not really help to master the basic html structure and does not encourage to develop your skills.
mikethm
I noticed that quite a few of the replies suggest notepad or some other simple html editor. However I believe the threadstarter want something that can build a website without any html editing at all. Something like Webpage Builder which is decent but I am still looking for something better as I want to build a nice website with from scratch in like 15mins.

Basically, some of us want to set up a website fast and html knowledge is limited thus the process is a hassle when building a website. Personally I prefer to use a template and an automatic website builder to set up the website... after which, I would use Coffeecup html editor to refine it and add missing elements before uploading with CuteFtp.

What some of us would appreciate is for a recommendation which can lessen the time spend even more... say a more powerful and customisable builder.
lepris
Hey Mikethm ,
I think that a basic html knowledge is something that cannot be ommited while building a website, besides it helps to understand templates better and finally to fix possible bugs. And like anytime in life every goal can be acheeved in various ways, while knowing and controlling the creation process you may decide on which one to use...
mikethm
I do have very basic html knowledge and do understand the need to actually understand html. Nevertheless, just because you know how to make dinner does not mean that you shouldn't eat out. It is a matter of time constraint. If I have the choice of building the same website in 15mins or in 15hours, I can't see why I should build it manually. And I did mentioned that my approach is to build whatever I can get up with the auto program and then add the rest manually. I did try an auto program and it did get a 7 page decent looking( used a template) website up in 15mins.
discountcontacts
i use frontpage cos im an inept newbie
ck88
Exactly how does Notepad help you create websites or learn HTML. It's complete rubbish to recommend Notepad. If you want it simple, there are a lot of free tools with syntax highlighting available. Then there are editors like nvu and others that will make you aware of HTML mistakes and help you with debugging.(Yes, you can type code into editors like NVU, Phase5 or even Dreamweaver) Notepad is just plain useless, does not provide any features and is only available in Windows OS to give it at least some way to read text files.

For some good suggestions check out this post: Top Website Design Programs
alethary
the easyest way to build a featured website with less effort and knowledge is to use one of the free content manager , like Joomla , e107 or phpnuke.

i suggest e107 for u because of its ease and good looking as well as the numerous websites that support it
lepris
I agree with the forespeaker. CMS were designed and developed with keeping in mind the easiness of content menagement. For somebody, who needs a site it is the best way to focus on the content instead of fighting with the unknown (HTML CSS PHP and other). Besides you can always change the look of your website afterweards, by finding and attaching free templates and stuff.
MYP415
Personally, I use notepad but I recently saw a free program called PS Pad which I downlaoded and it seems good for creating websites. I still use notepad because its what I started with and I like the simplicity but PS Pad seems useful too, I may try ti some day if I'm bored. If you want it google it and I'm sure you'll find it.
Kirth
Dragonfly-online wrote:
Yeah, actually you can. Its called Metapad. Same interface. Lots more features. By the way, if you are talking about a website creater,if you have a MAC with Mac OS X, there's some sort of website creater for that... and theres a new one at google, at the google labs section, but i havent tried that either.

Smile.

Razz.

Whell,

I think notpad is the most simple thing there, is.
But, you should better use, Dreamweaver,...
If you are a begginer Smile.
welshsteve
Personally I don't get on with WYSIWIG editors that much. I prefer to use Notepad2 and TopStyle Lite (CSS editor)

NVU is ok.
Amaya from the W3C is a good choice, and will obviously create valid code.

Some cheapish alternatives are Xara Webstyle (www.xara.com), although this package doesn't create valid code.

Dreamweaver is VERY expensive, and not something I feel you should invest in unless you are serious about web design.
budazz
NVU free and almost the same with dreamweaver
lkk07
You might want to try this free Serif program... has some nice features and is free! They also have other free software you might want to check out...

http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/WebPlus/default.asp

Hope this helps...

Linda =}
http://www.lindasmoneynetwork.com
Dragonfly-online
My advice would be to draw out a good idea on paper, then go and dive right in. Learn HTML and CSS, its easy and probably won;t take you a while. With just those tools (and some simple graphics editing) you can make an entire site easily and quickly.

That's what I did anyway.
vynes18
Best free program for sure is hypervre (just template + article = web page)

Also can try first page 2006 web design
or
phpdesigner 2007

If you got money, can buy paid software like dreamwever or xsitepro.
{name here}
The best free website builder is yourself. Razz
xanarulz
well I have pretty much all the proffesional web developing tools at my disposal, frontpage, dreamweaver, etc. But I tend to use notepad anyway, since I know all the tags and attributes that would be mostly using.
vinx_18
For best and easy to use for websites... I recommend php designer, NVU & zend.
account
I agree with lkk07 WebPlus is a good software.
Bossy19
MidgetLoverRecords wrote:
Any suggestions out there on what the best free and easiest website builder out there is? I'm not very advanced, but I need to get somethin' good up there. Also, chicken nuggets rock! I just had some, but they didn't help me with the website I want to build. Any help would be helpful. thanks

My preferential provider is www.hpage.com
I could built there my website completely comfortably without programming knowledge.
www.hpage.com offers many advantages compared to other providers of webspace: for instance an unlimited amount of sites, lots of capacity to store your own graphics, music, downloads, etc. and: the best is that everything is absolutely for free.
MiltonASpencer
I am recommend this site http://mobilesitemachine.net they Create easiest website for mobile version or desktop version .Also provide new software here you get new technology with the help of this software you can create mobile website easily.
eseomo
Kirth wrote:
NotePade Smile
You cant get any bettar than good 'ol notepad Smile.

But can it ever be better than a dreamweaver css htnml website??? i guess not!
SlashnburnSoftwareStudio
used to use Coffecup but think you pay for that now or just a trial for x number of days.

HTML-Kit is simple open source and easy to work with
shumicpi
If you are asking for which is the way of building any website then I should say that html,css,php and database software are needed. And to make it work I would suggest Dream weaver as the code editor. If you are looking for CMS platform then choose wordpress, its simple and user friendly.
WendyD
The best website builder is the one that you know well. As I understood there is no sense to recommend you to use Dreamweaver. In this case pay your attention to WordPress - it's more like CMS with open code than website builder.
If we're talking about only free website builders then in this case I would highlight: Wix, Weebly, Webs. There are much more - check here: http://www.beautifullife.info/web-design/15-best-free-website-builders/