FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Am I allergic to the sun ?

izcool
No, it's as not as bad as you think when you read the title of this thread for the first time. I'm not fatally sick to the sun, but in a way I think I am. Let me explain and I think you'll see my point.

Almost every time I walk out of the house in the morning, or in the afternoon, in fact, any time the sun is out (where I've been inside most of the day or something of that sort), I immediately sneeze. It does it almost every time for me. For a long time I thought I was allergic to the sun.

I remember telling my mom about this and she said that I always had that problem. I'm fine after the first sneeze, I don't do it again until I'm back inside and return outside to the sun for more than an hour or so. When I get back outside, again, I sneeze.

I did my researching on Wikipedia and found this article that might explain why this is happening to me - it's about something called "Photic Sneeze Reflex".

So my question to all of you reading is this - is that the cause of why I sneeze after going out into the sun, after being inside for a period of time ? Or could it possibly be something else ?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

- Mike.
Loghete
Quote:
Almost every time I walk out of the house in the morning, or in the afternoon, in fact, any time the sun is out (where I've been inside most of the day or something of that sort), I immediately sneeze.

Hahaha Laughing

You're normal, everyone I know (including me) sneezes when they go out to the sun.

Anyway, I think it's because of the sudden light.
Jupernia
You may be sneezeing due to pollon in the air from plants around you. Like me, I am alleric to grass and tress and I sneeze when I first go outside. If you were alleric to the sun, you wouldnt be able to leave your house period during the day, or be anywhere that may cause you contact to the light.
Jayfarer
Yeah. It's fine. I get that too, though it can be avoided by shielding my eyes with my hands, or wearing sunglasses.
Aless
Is it not possibly the allergens connected with walking outside?

That would make more sense. That could be the technical answer, but your brain might have also made an association between sneezing and the sun, causing you to sneeze at the sun even if you're not outside. Weird.
Loghete
Aless wrote:
Is it not possibly the allergens connected with walking outside?

That would make more sense. That could be the technical answer, but your brain might have also made an association between sneezing and the sun, causing you to sneeze at the sun even if you're not outside. Weird.

No.

If it's a cloudy day you wont sneeze. And, you sneeze faster if you look straight to the sun.
Traveller
When I was in my teens, I had the photic sneeze response. If I looked at (actually toward...not directly into) the sun, I would sneeze thrice, EVERY time. After adolescence, however, it went away, and I have not experienced it since. It certainly is an unusual, but fascinating thing.

On the other hand, one thing that didn't go away is a small degree of synaesthesia that I have. It's not as pronounced or spectacular as some people experience, but in my case, if my eyes are closed and I hear a sudden noise (not necessarily loud - just sudden), I will "see" a flash of light in the direction from which the sound originated. Also, depending upon the pitch of the sound, the light will be different colours. This is not as frequent as when I was a teen, but does still occur.
sky217
I always just assumed it had something to do with your eyes and nose being connected by your tear ducts. When you look at the sun, it makes you squint and maybe your eyes water a little bit. I guess the link in the OP mentions a similar theory. The overstimulated nerve thing sounds cooler to me though.
Blaster
I dont' sneeze when i go out unless it is really bright... but sometimes i do. It is normal i think and you don't really have that big of a problem. Dont' kill yourself over it mike Razz
skygaia
Unfortunately I am allergic to the sun.
Before I got something in a military, I had not know about it.
When I served at a military, one day I had to work for all day under very stron sun.....
After I finished my work, I found somthing wrong in my body....
that was terrible...
Hobbit
That sucks, seriously. So if you go out at night you don't sneeze? Well it can't be that bad. I don't go out during the day (unless it's for school). I just go out during the night, not because I'm a vampire, but because I don't like the sun and because it's way too hot.
hack_man_
It is a natural reflex, not a disease!

It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open, your brain sub-consciously (and consciously I hope) doesn't want your eyes to spit out of your head every time you sneeze!

The eyes close as you sneeze, and the muscles use the time that they are closed to relax themselves so that you can see as opposed to being blinded. Your tear glands also take advantage of the time to get rid of the old fluid and replace it with fresh stuff.

But most people don't do that unless it is really dark to really light.
ArmaghBhoy
maybe you just have bad hay fever? which happens on high pollen count days
Billwaa
I sneeze when I look in the sun too, I think it is normal. At least my mom told me that it is normal. Probably becuase your eyes can't stand the big differences between the sun and darkness and that make you sneeze. Probably have something to do with the brain reaction. It is always mysterious how the brain work. You may never know. I heard that some lady pick up a car when trying to save a child. Maybe if in enmergency, you can fly too, lol.
vw_bugg
I have tis same problem. I read an article a while back i think in the back of a poopular science written by a docter who answerd a similar question. He even gave it a scientific name which unfortunatly i can not find.

It basicaly boils down to this, a small portion of the population have a slight short in their nerves where the nerve that controls your sneeze response when there is something in your nose is somehow shorted with the nerve that controls your eyes adjusting to the light. When your eyes adjust very quickly it causes the short to occur thus promoting your nose to sneeze.

This is usually caused by the sun because that is when our eyes adjust the most quickly. It can be any light though, sometimes i will look up at the light where i am at if i hjave to sneeze. It has also happened to me if i go from a bright light to very dark, though not as often. I think your eyes adjust slower from light to dark then from dark to light.
Vrythramax
My Grandfather was an Albino and he was most certainly allergic to the sun. His skin had no pigmentaion to protect him and he used to blister on really hot days. So for some it posible to be allergic, but I don't think is one of those case.
m00tmuffin
hehe, I also usually do that every time I walk out into bright light, I think it's a pretty normal thing to do. Smile But awesome that it has a name, I never would have imagined that it did, haha.
ncwdavid
I always sneeze when I go out in the sun. I think its just natural. Its the same if im in a darkish kind of room and I need to sneeze i always turn on the light and look at it and it always makes me sneeze.
Jack_Hammer
Loghete wrote:
Quote:
Almost every time I walk out of the house in the morning, or in the afternoon, in fact, any time the sun is out (where I've been inside most of the day or something of that sort), I immediately sneeze.

Hahaha Laughing

You're normal, everyone I know (including me) sneezes when they go out to the sun.

Anyway, I think it's because of the sudden light.

I don't, infact I don't know anyone that does...
Shocked

Quote:
...I think your eyes adjust slower from light to dark then from dark to light.

It takes about thirty minutes for your eyes to adjust from light to dark.
Shiva
Well yes this symptom is quite normal..

About one third of the worlds population sneezes when they are confrontet with sharp light like the sun.. It's vey normal.. Wink

But again, some people haven't seen the symptom ever.. some are quite use to it Wink
vw_bugg
Jack_Hammer wrote:

It takes about thirty minutes for your eyes to adjust from light to dark.

Wow thirty minutes thats cool. If you use a red flashlight yours eyes stay adjusted to to the dark!
jongoldsz
Thats pretty strange. I have heard of a real allergy to light in Bio. Its more like the skin can not handle sun light. This alergy is supposedly fatal, but not many people have it. Being alergic to light must be terrible because the person is almost like a vampire.
Helios
Well, I sneeze, get sleepy and become tired if I go out w/o wearing my sunglasses, but it's not "saving" me, I can't be in the sun for too long even if I wear them;
but then again... I live in Israel. It's quite sunny here Razz
Also, most of the time I sleep at day-time, and awake at night.

I'm a friggin' vampire Shocked
ship_fiction
my best bet would be the pollen idea, it doesn't happen to me but my mom does
HoboPelican
For those of you who didn't bother to read the link to Wikipedia, here is the first part of it.
Quote:
Photic sneeze reflex (also referred to as sun sneezing, photogenic sneezing, or whimsically called ACHOO, a backronym for Autosomal dominant Compelling Helio-Ophthalmic Outburst) is a medical condition by which people exposed to bright light sneeze. The photic sneeze reflex can also cause one to sneeze many times consecutively. The condition occurs in 17% to 25% of humans with more common occurrence in Caucasians than other human races. The condition is passed along genetically as an autosomal dominant trait.

It's not pollen, it is a genetic nerve condition. I get the same thing, but I never knew how common it was until now.
dreamstealer
lol.
my friends call me freak because i sneeze when i see the sun.now i know that i am not alone!
that happens when i am in a no sun place and go to a sun place immediately!
it is very weird but i have fun!i hope you 2!
Sarinoff
While i was at school i heard of this medication that you take that doesnt allow you to go out in the sun for a week. Im not sure why but i thought it was pretty funny. I asked my grandma about it (she was a nurse for many years) and she said she never heard of it, so does anyone else know what im talking about?
valkyrie-heavens
Lol, I used to think I was allergic to... all it really is is light sensitiity. Your eyes are probably really sensitive. You can go see ur eye doctor for drops that will thicken the lining on your eyes so they're not as sensitive.
DecayClan
There are really many, many, many, other factors that are included, that can chage this...The "outside" doesn't mean sun. Do you sneeze if you go to a window which has a lot of light? No? Then, why should it be the sun?The affects of the sun, are the same. If i was going to bet on something, that would be the air.There is something diffirent, that cases that first reaction.

->Could it be, that you get clean air, and you sneeze out, the bad stuff, that all that time you inhereted from the inside? Don't forget that there are many fungus(i think that thats their name in english) that are everywhere, and especially inside ANY place, of EVERY building.They are not outside though. The difference between the 2 air mixtures can be causing this.