FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Auto Suggest





garionw
I was thinking, because people are required to search before creating new topics, myabe you could do it for them.

Instead of having the ads on the side when you create a new topic, you could have an ajax sidebar that does a search for the message subject while you type the message, It oculd display a list of the posts and let the user click on them to go to the topic, It could also display whether the topic has new posts, locked or if its popular
Mwilliams
Thats a good idea. It will take a professional php programer to do this though. phpBB v2 does not have this feature built into the software.
garionw
No, not really,

You could preform a hidden AJAX request which seraches for whatever text was in the subject feild (Minus and, the, why.....) and displays the results much like a search result
ocalhoun
That sounds like a good idea, but I think it should do the search just before you submit the post, that way the search could have all the keywords necessary.

Such as when you hit the submit button, if there are simular threads in the same forum (let's assume they're putting it in the right forum), it would come up with a message like:

There are threads simular to yours already in this forum:
Thread1
The first few lines of text from the thread
Thread2
The first few lines of text from the thread
Thread3
The first few lines of text from the thread

<cancel post> <post anyway>
LukeakaDanish
One word for you guys:

SERVER LOAD (actually thats two words - but still)

This would mean, that every time you type a new letter in the title bar the server has to perform AT THE VERY LEAST one more mySQL query. Also php has to do some calculating. Also it increases trafic.


Ok...so the idea sounds pretty cool so far...

WHO is going to write it?

Im sure bondings is clever enough to write it, but shouldnt he really be concentrating on getting server 2 to run in a more stable and non-rebooty way?

Suggestions are great and all...but try to think about what you suggest - 99/100 suggestions are never going to be implemented - and 9/10 suggestions are so rediculous ITS OBVIOUS they're never going to be used to the OP...if he/she only bothered to think.
bambholebaba
LukeakaDanish wrote:
One word for you guys:

SERVER LOAD (actually thats two words - but still)

This would mean, that every time you type a new letter in the title bar the server has to perform AT THE VERY LEAST one more mySQL query. Also php has to do some calculating. Also it increases trafic.


Ok...so the idea sounds pretty cool so far...

WHO is going to write it?

Im sure bondings is clever enough to write it, but shouldnt he really be concentrating on getting server 2 to run in a more stable and non-rebooty way?

Suggestions are great and all...but try to think about what you suggest - 99/100 suggestions are never going to be implemented - and 9/10 suggestions are so rediculous ITS OBVIOUS they're never going to be used to the OP...if he/she only bothered to think.

I agree very much with the last paragraph. Suggestions should come from the persons expert of that field, and not from philosophers!!( Who used to coin ideas only!!!!)....Sorry, if it hurts, I am not good in English.
garionw
LukeakaDanish wrote:


Suggestions are great and all...but try to think about what you suggest - 99/100 suggestions are never going to be implemented - and 9/10 suggestions are so rediculous ITS OBVIOUS they're never going to be used to the OP...if he/she only bothered to think.



Whats the name of these forums?.... Suggestions and thats just it, a suggestion. Just read through some of the suggestions on the first page. Reading through, nearly all of them have had the ideas modified into something similar. The only reason I suggested this was because Google have it and would be a good idea to implement. There are thousands of topics here, and how many topics get created twice? How much easier would it be if it could automatically do a search for related topics before you go to post the topic?

Take this idea, its gone from after every key you type to after clicking the submit button or something different. You could even get it to work if you used it with onBlur
LukeakaDanish
garionw wrote:
LukeakaDanish wrote:


Suggestions are great and all...but try to think about what you suggest - 99/100 suggestions are never going to be implemented - and 9/10 suggestions are so rediculous ITS OBVIOUS they're never going to be used to the OP...if he/she only bothered to think.



Whats the name of these forums?.... Suggestions and thats just it, a suggestion. Just read through some of the suggestions on the first page. Reading through, nearly all of them have had the ideas modified into something similar. The only reason I suggested this was because Google have it and would be a good idea to implement. There are thousands of topics here, and how many topics get created twice? How much easier would it be if it could automatically do a search for related topics before you go to post the topic?

Take this idea, its gone from after every key you type to after clicking the submit button or something different. You could even get it to work if you used it with onBlur


Did you just read the bit of my post that you thought you could argue against, or did you actually bother with all of it? Confused

It would create an insane amount of extra mySQL queries - which google, with their 450,000 servers (wikip) dont have a problem serving - they get an insane amount of queries anyway.
snowboardalliance
Problem:
LukeakaDanish wrote:
One word for you guys:

SERVER LOAD (actually thats two words - but still)


Solution:
ocalhoun wrote:
That sounds like a good idea, but I think it should do the search just before you submit the post, that way the search could have all the keywords necessary.

Such as when you hit the submit button, if there are simular threads in the same forum (let's assume they're putting it in the right forum), it would come up with a message like:

There are threads simular to yours already in this forum:
Thread1
The first few lines of text from the thread
Thread2
The first few lines of text from the thread
Thread3
The first few lines of text from the thread

<cancel post> <post anyway>


It could just show like a part of search.php with the ? query and the only things that need to be added are post/cancel buttons. Not much extra coding or load. Of course, this probably won't always catch things, or will bring up a lot of not so relevent posts, and most people who don't bother to search probably will ignore it. Still, it isn't completely unreasonable.
garionw
LukeakaDanish wrote:
garionw wrote:
LukeakaDanish wrote:


Suggestions are great and all...but try to think about what you suggest - 99/100 suggestions are never going to be implemented - and 9/10 suggestions are so rediculous ITS OBVIOUS they're never going to be used to the OP...if he/she only bothered to think.



Whats the name of these forums?.... Suggestions and thats just it, a suggestion. Just read through some of the suggestions on the first page. Reading through, nearly all of them have had the ideas modified into something similar. The only reason I suggested this was because Google have it and would be a good idea to implement. There are thousands of topics here, and how many topics get created twice? How much easier would it be if it could automatically do a search for related topics before you go to post the topic?

Take this idea, its gone from after every key you type to after clicking the submit button or something different. You could even get it to work if you used it with onBlur


Did you just read the bit of my post that you thought you could argue against, or did you actually bother with all of it? Confused

It would create an insane amount of extra mySQL queries - which google, with their 450,000 servers (wikip) dont have a problem serving - they get an insane amount of queries anyway.


What? Working on my latest idea, it will preform the search after the user has finished typing in the subject feild, and has clicked away from it, it will then preform the search.

So, in theory if everyone searched for a topic before creating it, it would cause the same server load, maybe a little bit more if the subject + suggest idea was implemented
mathiaus
It might not actualy create that much. Its only one query for each new topic being created, and would save multiple querys of moderation, merging or closing, or removing duplicate topics etc.

I don't think it woruld work with the topic title though, some people choose the worst title in the world which don't relate in way to the rest of the topic. Add a keyword box to the new topic page and search for those for existing topics. Smile
garionw
mathiaus wrote:
I don't think it woruld work with the topic title though, some people choose the worst title in the world which don't relate in way to the rest of the topic. Add a keyword box to the new topic page and search for those for existing topics. Smile


If we do make the switch to keywords, we won't really need forums then. We could have and use topics, but if people could choose their own keywords, we won't need them (forums)

and then theres the point of who can be bothered entering in the extra information too.

Quote:
some people choose the worst title in the world which don't relate in way to the rest of the topic


I'm guilty of that Wink
LukeakaDanish
I'm sorry - I obviously didnt understand your idea properly Embarassed

Thats is perhaps an ok idea - infact its a really good idea - at least I expect we would get a lot less posts for which there are an "official topic" put in other topics.

Spammers will always be spammers though innit?
Josso
I do beleive Bondings is not keen on anything that increases the bandwidth usage on the server. Mind you it might be worth it though, I wouldn't like to write the script but it's do-able Laughing
ninjakannon
mathiaus wrote:
It might not actualy create that much. Its only one query for each new topic being created, and would save multiple querys of moderation, merging or closing, or removing duplicate topics etc.

I don't think it would work with the topic title though, some people choose the worst title in the world which don't relate in way to the rest of the topic. Add a keyword box to the new topic page and search for those for existing topics. Smile

I was going to say the same as your first paragraph there, but now there's no need. Razz

I disagree with your other point though. Apart from the fact that it would be quicker to search only the topic titles of all the posts it would also be better; why? Because if the user uses the search facility they're less likely to go to a topic with a completely unrelated title anyway. Personally I hate topics like "help me quick" because they don't offer any explanation of what it's about so I would be much happier if those topics weren't picked up by the searches.

The idea could be put into place quite easily I guess. BUT I think that having an ad on the right hand side of the posting window is essential to frihost's being here and thus couldn't be replaced.

ocalhoun wrote:
That sounds like a good idea, but I think it should do the search just before you submit the post, that way the search could have all the keywords necessary.

Just before they post?#@! After you've spent time writing the post you realise that there was another post that would have answered you question. This wouldn't be any good at all, because it would mean that you might as well search before posting. Just enter your title and then click a "find similar topics" button or something. If there are similar topics then you click on the link for it that would appear; otherwise just type out your post.

I'm not against this idea, but I won't be making any complaints if it's not implemented (and I bet it's not).
bambholebaba
garionw wrote:
LukeakaDanish wrote:


Suggestions are great and all...but try to think about what you suggest - 99/100 suggestions are never going to be implemented - and 9/10 suggestions are so rediculous ITS OBVIOUS they're never going to be used to the OP...if he/she only bothered to think.



Whats the name of these forums?.... Suggestions and thats just it, a suggestion. Just read through some of the suggestions on the first page. Reading through, nearly all of them have had the ideas modified into something similar. The only reason I suggested this was because Google have it and would be a good idea to implement. There are thousands of topics here, and how many topics get created twice? How much easier would it be if it could automatically do a search for related topics before you go to post the topic?

Take this idea, its gone from after every key you type to after clicking the submit button or something different. You could even get it to work if you used it with onBlur


Embarassed Sorry, actually I do not have much knowledge of networking and servers, and as such I should not have interfered into it, but as I thought this idea(autosuggest) is too great to be possible, as was appeared from the reaction of LukeakaDanish, I wrote that post. At the same time, I respect "philosophers'' very much, as they have been the root of developement of science !! Sorry again!!
Marston
Josso wrote:
I do beleive Bondings is not keen on anything that increases the bandwidth usage on the server.
Untrue... Every new user that joins the forums increases bandwidth usage. Razz
LukeakaDanish
Marston wrote:
Josso wrote:
I do beleive Bondings is not keen on anything that increases the bandwidth usage on the server.
Untrue... Every new user that joins the forums increases bandwidth usage. Razz


Yea, bandwidth is not really the concern here. Also, dont worry bambholebaba, your, of course welcome to "philosophize" as you put it Smile - its actually quite a good idea, which, if implemented correctly would greatly benefit the forums (in my opinion).
Related topics
PHP NUKE
[php scripts ] phpweather&email
cron jobs
PHP Editor
Any new games to recommend?
auto refresh
Things that you MUST not SUGGEST -- READ BEFORE POSTING!
Auto redirect your visitors to a different page
How To Stop Cracking Fingers
Free Frihost Search Engines (Google toolbar**NEW** + FF)
Autocomplete textfield problem
Google Chrome + Frihost Forums txt error..
Google Chrome - should we be worried about our privacy?
problem with AJAX display
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.