FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is the true defenition of ANIME?

Dwyer17
I am for sure not a fan of anime. I think it's retarded. But hey, no offence at all, this is simply my opinion and please don't criticize that because my opinion won't change, and your probably won't either.

Anyway, I've always wondered what all you anime people consider true anime. Is it only the stuff that comes from Asia or what?
I'm a pretty big fan of [adult swim], but of course I change the channel when any anime comes on. You wouldn't consider Tom Goes to the Mayor, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, or Squidbillies anime would you? Or how about Perfect Hair Forever? Perfect Hair Forever is like a spoof of anime pretty much. That shows pretty funny. Well sorry for babbling. I'm out.

-Dwyer17
Jayfarer
I consider any animation out of Asia (primarily japan) that follows the same stylistic choices (i.e. use of "godspeed" backgrounds, minimal animation) to be anime. If it comes from other countries, I consider it to be anime-inspired only.
Scaramanga
Anime in the strictest Western definition is animation that comes from Japan. I disagree with Jayfarer's definition, only because the entire gamut of Japanese anime doesn't necessarily include those same stylistic tendancies. Sure they're prevalent, but it's not EVERYTHING that comes out of Japan. Unless it comes from Japan, it's not anime, it's whatever the hell they call animation in that country - except France, where they also call it anime (except probably with an outrageous accent.) Very Happy

Now, that being said, 'anime' in Japan simply means animation, so to them, every Disney animated film is also anime. So you know, there you go.
rikuleonhart
But also, I'd like to point out something that has recently come up. (with the blurring of lines between what is anime and what is not anime) Modern Japanese anime is instead termed "Japanimation" in many situations to show the difference between it, and say, "Chinamation". To answer your question though, technically "anime" is ANY cartoon (as Japanese refer to Mickey Mouse, etc. as anime). Truthfully, in Japan, anime IS all cartoons, but with an outside definition, anime is ONLY Japanese cartoons.

So I guess what you would say is, depending on where you are, anime is defined differently.
Scaramanga
rikuleonhart wrote:
Modern Japanese anime is instead termed "Japanimation" in many situations to show the difference between it, and say, "Chinamation".

That's just silly. Next we'll also have to say Koreanamation, or Thaiwanimation. Also Japanimation is actually a much OLDER term that has fallen out of favour with most people in the industry.

rikuleonhart wrote:
So I guess what you would say is, depending on where you are, anime is defined differently.

Only in Japan (and France) where anime is an actual broad word. IN every other country where anime is a borrowed word, it should mean Japanese animation. I understand that in Japan, Disney cartoons are called anime. The difference is the Disney cartoon didn't originate in Japan, it originated in America.

A better example I can give in the manga industry. Manga are strictly Japanese comics (because 'manga' refers to comics in Japanese culture/society.) Now if I were to be talking about similar comics that come from say, Korea, that'd be Manhwa. I think the generally accepted standard is naming based on what the country of origin calls it.

All that being said, I doubt there is really one "true" definition, because people tend to disagree. Which is, I feel, a shame, because we should have a mutually agreed upon definitions, which makes it easier to understand what people are talking about.
Zenrei
This term is so loosely learned and goes throwgh voice of moth so often that it has deteriorated. i read in a paper so long ago its name escapes me but the name Anime was developed by Western civilisations Artits such as Disney and Godlwinmayer at the time and it Means
Eastern animation or "Anim-e" since it was a classification to seperate the styles at the time(back then there was a difference) Anim-e, anim-w
Nowdays Artists are so influenced by the eastern animation that the style has filtered into western artists. For thsi reason only people in japan call it animation or anime, for them animation is the term they have learned and anime is the westers term to animation. Nowdays what it resembles is any kind of animation that originated in Japan. in america they were sued to be called CARtoons, Cardboard Toons (they drawings such as Fred Flingthstone and the jestons were dran on thing cardboard slices so they were preserved better and could be reused (scrolling background lol).
as for Manga. Im unshure but it is either the japanese equivalent to Comic or, "depicted Novel", but over time comic is a western comoic and a manga is a japanese comic. its a degredation fo language done by people that fail to understand a foreing language. ill give you an examply.
in the united states the lane that is used to make a left turn has the words "only" written on the road with 90 arrow pointing left, this is to say you can ONLY turn left. my country is a colony of the united states and we translated it into our spanish equivalent but now we call that lane by that word only "solo". it is the equivalent as if the americans called their left turning lanes "only" ("hey dont stand there use the "only") as if it were the name of the lane itself) so you see this happens everywere.

another example is towards manga the word for adult manga is etchii or something like that, in america instead of saying japanese adult comics or even saying adult manga, they call it etchi to distinguish it from adult american comics. another more fun example is the word "@ssh0le" this originaly ment were the asses were collected (an ass was a donkey) and wherever donkeys were stored (corral) ushualy not only stack but was very unpleasent because of the wining made by the donkesy nonstop) hence people are called @zz.... because of how unpleasent they treat people.. but you never would ahve made the donkey connection owuld cha Smile
Darkfall
Well, for me anime means anything which comes out of Japan, and the overall style of the animation.

I'd have to agree what anime is used loosely in japan to describe all animation.
Scaramanga
Zenrei wrote:
This term is so loosely learned and goes throwgh voice of moth so often that it has deteriorated. i read in a paper so long ago its name escapes me but the name Anime was developed by Western civilisations Artits such as Disney and Godlwinmayer at the time and it Means Eastern animation or "Anim-e" since it was a classification to seperate the styles at the time(back then there was a difference) Anim-e, anim-w

Uhhh, no. I don't know where you get your information, but there is NO record of Disney ever calling eastern animation Anim-e (especially since Japanese animation itself was INLFUENCED by the likes of Disney, not the other way around.) Anime is a Japanese word based on an English word (animation,) and even then that didn't come in popular parlance until the 1970s (before that animation was called 'manga eiga' - which means TV manga[1].)

Quote:
Nowdays Artists are so influenced by the eastern animation that the style has filtered into western artists. For thsi reason only people in japan call it animation or anime, for them animation is the term they have learned and anime is the westers term to animation.

Uhhh what? I think you would hard-pressed to find ANYONE in Japan who still uses the word 'animation' instead of anime. And in Western culture we use the word anime specifically to refer to animation FROM Japan (because that's what the Japanese call it.) We still call it animation or cartoons.

Quote:
In america they were sued to be called CARtoons, Cardboard Toons (they drawings such as Fred Flingthstone and the jestons were dran on thing cardboard slices so they were preserved better and could be reused (scrolling background lol).

Uhhh no. Once again, you've got it completely wrong. The word 'Cartoon' comes from Italian cartone, which literally means 'big paper'. It was these cartones that were full-sized drawings made on paper or pasteboard as something of a rough draft for a painting or fresco[2]. The way 'cartoon' came to mean an inherently funny drawing comes from the British comic magazine Punch, from the mid 1800s[3].

Quote:
as for Manga. Im unshure but it is either the japanese equivalent to Comic or, "depicted Novel", but over time comic is a western comoic and a manga is a japanese comic. its a degredation fo language done by people that fail to understand a foreing language.

This makes absolutely NO sense. 'Comics' is a distinctly Western word, and we generally use it to define a wide variety of printed, sequential art (pretty much the same as the Japanese use manga[4] to mean the SAME THING.) These words do NOT take a particular STYLE into account[5]. And this is WHY a Japanese manga that had a style similar to say a Marvel comic in the US, would STILL be called manga. Just the same as if an American comic had a Japanese-influenced style, we shouldn't/wouldn't call it manga, because it isn't Japanese (some argument can be made for Japanese creators living in the West or Western creators living in Japan, but those are so few and far between as to be a pointless debate.)

Quote:
another example is towards manga the word for adult manga is etchii or something like that, in america instead of saying japanese adult comics or even saying adult manga, they call it etchi to distinguish it from adult american comics.

I would ask that you actually do some research before you make these half-baked and completely erroneous claims. Ecchi (as the word is PROPERLY spelled) just stands for the letter H, being the first letter of the word hentai, meaning pervert, perverted, or dirty[6]. Ecchi (and hentai, to some degree) is an ADJECTIVE, not a noun. So there can be 'ecchi manga', but referring to something as just ecchi without a specified noun, is ambiguous. Also, it's important to note that ecchi can refer to MORE than just manga; it can mean a person, book, anime or any number of things.

Quote:
another more fun example is the word "@ssh0le" this originaly ment were the asses were collected (an *** was a donkey) and wherever donkeys were stored (corral) ushualy not only stack but was very unpleasent because of the wining made by the donkesy nonstop) hence people are called @zz.... because of how unpleasent they treat people.. but you never would ahve made the donkey connection owuld cha Smile

Whew, it's not really on-topic, but just to set the record straight, this word didn't originate from the word for a donkey, but rather from the European word 'arse' (which yes, means bum or backside,) which comes from the Old English aers meaning tail or rump[7]. As for the hole part, well I think it's pretty obvious that it was referring to the sphincter (which was and still is considered a rather dirty orifice, and therefore a bad thing to be called.) Also the American spelling of arse (which is verboten here) didn't come into the argot until the 1930s, so the original 'arse' predates it by several centuries.

Sorry about the length, but I think there's enough misinformation on the internet as it is, without adding to it. Also, I think it's helpful if we all understand that there are a set of agreed-upon terms, and not just use whatever meaning we like.

FOOTNOTES:
[1] The Online Etymology Dictionary
[2] Dictionary.com definition of 'Cartoon'
[3] Punch Magazine, online history
[4] Otaku Dictionary, AnimeInfo.org
[5] 'What Is Manga?' Pop Japan article
[6] AnimeNewsNetwork Lexicon entry for 'ecchi'
[7] Wikipedia entry 'Arse'
nigam
anime
For the oleo-resin, see Animé (oleo-resin).

A scene from the anime Cowboy Bebop (1998)Anime (アニメ, Anime?), which is short for アニメーション (animēshon) from the English word "animation", in the western world most popularly refers to the medium of animation originating in Japan, with distinctive character and background aesthetics that visually set it apart from other forms of animation (e.g. Walt Disney films, Warner Bros. short cartoons). In Japan, the word anime is used to refer to all forms of animated film from around the world. While some anime is entirely hand-drawn, computer assisted animation techniques are, in recent years, quite common. Storylines are typically fictional; examples of anime representing most major genres of fiction exist. Anime is broadcast on television, distributed on media such as DVD and VHS, or included in computer and video games. Anime is often influenced by Japanese comics known as manga. Some anime storylines have been adapted into live action films and television series.
Scaramanga
nigam wrote:
anime
For the oleo-resin, see Animé (oleo-resin).

A scene from the anime Cowboy Bebop (1998)Anime (アニメ, Anime?), which is short for アニメーション (animēshon) from the English word "animation", in the western world most popularly refers to the medium of animation originating in Japan, with distinctive character and background aesthetics that visually set it apart from other forms of animation (e.g. Walt Disney films, Warner Bros. short cartoons). In Japan, the word anime is used to refer to all forms of animated film from around the world. While some anime is entirely hand-drawn, computer assisted animation techniques are, in recent years, quite common. Storylines are typically fictional; examples of anime representing most major genres of fiction exist. Anime is broadcast on television, distributed on media such as DVD and VHS, or included in computer and video games. Anime is often influenced by Japanese comics known as manga. Some anime storylines have been adapted into live action films and television series.

Hey awesome, you can copy & paste from Wikipedia. Next time maybe you can define something in your own words, or at least CREDIT the source of your plagarism.
jasrudin
Anime (アニメ, Anime?) (IPA pronunciation: [ɑnimeː] in Japanese, but typically [ænImeI] or [ænəmeI] in English) is an abbreviation of the English word "animation" but in Japanese is spelled アニメーション (animēshon, pronounced: [ɑnime:ɕoɴ]) written in katakana. Outside Japan, the term most popularly refers to animation originating in Japan, with distinctive character and background aesthetics that visually set it apart from other forms of animation (e.g. Walt Disney films, Warner Bros. short cartoons). Within Japan, the term anime is used to refer to all forms of animation from around the world.

While some anime is entirely hand-drawn, computer assisted animation techniques are, in recent years, quite common. Storylines are typically fictional; examples of anime representing most major genres of fiction. Anime is broadcast on television, distributed on media such as DVD and VHS, and included in computer and video games. Additionally, some are produced as full length motion pictures. Anime is often influenced by Japanese comics known as manga. Some anime storylines have been adapted into live action films and television series.
Scaramanga
Gah! Are you people even reading this THREAD?! It's like the exact same definition that's been posted at least twice, if not three times already! It's not that hard to give your own opinion on what the definition of anime is, is it? Rolling Eyes
Dark_Kamui
its very simple, people have been saying it to you. anime is ant animation that is made in JAPAN
Hayate
well, I'm a big fan of anime and what I know is that if I see the word anime I think about japanese animation as we know it. there are a few animations made in america, and I can see they try to use the effects japanese people use in there style. and it really hurts just to see those wannabe anime >< Totally spies for example, using the sweat drop and chibi faces and all. that's just wrong.

I also think it's true that in Japan the word "anime" goes for every animation, like disney and other shit. but outside of japan, anime means japanese animation, and I think almost everybody knows that. if you type anime in google you get all kinds of dragon ball z, naruto etc. links

but I think anime is simply japanese animation.
kyang91
I think anime is great. its good for passing time and most of them are enjoyable to watch as they can be funny or sad.
evanct
Dark_Kamui wrote:
its very simple, people have been saying it to you. anime is ant animation that is made in JAPAN

exactly. whats there to talk about? anime is japanese animation.
zplitstonez
Hello everyone.
Good day.

Well here is my definition of ANIME:

Japanese for 'animation'.
'Anime can range from the
very silly to the very serious,
and is not necessarily intended
for children or any specific age group.'
According to Michael Kim Animation
as an industry is much bigger in Japan
than it is in North America,
being of the same order of
magnitude as the 'live-action'
film industry there.

All genres are supported through
three separate mediums:
TV episodes, Original Video Animation (OVA),
and full length feature films.

Thank you
GOD BLESS FRIHOST COMMUNITY
Man + GOD = MAJORITY
Jayfarer
Scaramanga wrote:
Anime in the strictest Western definition is animation that comes from Japan. I disagree with Jayfarer's definition, only because the entire gamut of Japanese anime doesn't necessarily include those same stylistic tendancies. Sure they're prevalent, but it's not EVERYTHING that comes out of Japan. Unless it comes from Japan, it's not anime, it's whatever the hell they call animation in that country - except France, where they also call it anime (except probably with an outrageous accent.) Very Happy

I know this, I just don't consider anything out of Japan that doesn't use that style as "Anime". A lot of American cartoons, from Sponge Bob to Rugrats to Batman Beyond to The Simpsons, were all at least partially (sometimes mostly) animated in Asia. They don't have the same style, since they take cues from the American animators who design & draw the main motions, but they still "animate" a lot of it.

So that's why I only define Anime as the animation that uses the stereotypical style & characteristics.
carlokes
Darkfall wrote:
Well, for me anime means anything which comes out of Japan, and the overall style of the animation.

I'd have to agree what anime is used loosely in japan to describe all animation.

Couldnt agree more with you mate !! that's precisely the same definition I give to anyone that ask me what the hell is anime. Thank god nowadays more and more people is starting to know what is anime...so theres really no need to explain to many more people.

Stay Cool
Scaramanga
Jayfarer wrote:
Scaramanga wrote:

I know this, I just don't consider anything out of Japan that doesn't use that style as "Anime". A lot of American cartoons, from Sponge Bob to Rugrats to Batman Beyond to The Simpsons, were all at least partially (sometimes mostly) animated in Asia. They don't have the same style, since they take cues from the American animators who design & draw the main motions, but they still "animate" a lot of it.

So that's why I only define Anime as the animation that uses the stereotypical style & characteristics.

But that's still erroneous. I don't mean anime should mean ANY animation that a Japanese animator touches, but only shows produced by Japanese companies (see my comment on Korea below.) All those shows that you mentioned are produced by American companies and outsourced to asian animation studios (something that has been going on for decades, especially in TV animation.) I still think that saying an anime is a particular style is pretty disingenious to the artists who try to create something outside of the norm. Take a look at the recent anime Fantastic Children; it's fairly dissimilar to most mainstream anime, but that doesn't make it any less anime (and I imagine it's creator and animator, Takashi Nakamura, who was also responsible for animating shows outside of the norm like Akira, Brigadoon and Nausicaa, would take exception.)

What about something like IGPX though, that was made in Japan, but specifically for American audiences? Or Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, which was created with an english audience in mind? Personally, as you pointed out, as anime becomes more and more mainstream, I think we'll be seeing more and more of this in the future.

Also, since we're (mostly) agreeing that stuff that comes from Japan is anime, what do we call it then when it's actually produced by a Japanese studio, but animated somewhere else (like Korea, which does the majority of Japan's pick-up anime work)?
malomeat
Anime is Japanese animation. Plain and simple.