FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why do we do what we are doing?

rohan2kool
everybody out there is studying, going to coachings, spending fortunes on education... just to get a better future. You get a job, then you work hard to get a promotion for a better future. You get a promotion and work hard for a better position. You get a better position and then get retired, then work hard to still fit inside the long lost family (that's the general story as i've heard... i'm just 16 Very Happy ). Or leave that thing apart.. you go to various joints, freak out, have fun, fall in love, keep loved ones happy, try to enjoy.. but the thing is why are we doing this?? One day it's all gonna be over, nothing's the ultimate except end. Sometimes it goofs me. Any suggestions??
otiscom
A very depressing view on life.
But I see your point (I'm much, much older than you) and I've often thought about it. In fact, if it was allowable have a simple inscription on my headstone.

It would read............ "What the **** was that all about?".
rohan2kool
not at all depressing d00d.. what puzzels me actually is why people spend so much time on their future doing things, when all that ever exists is today. Why don't people live out their todays in hopes of better tomorrows...

or is it because today's tommorow is tomorrow's today Smile
babumuchhala
Well I have thought on similar lines but in a different way.

But I dont wanna disscuss it.

Its important that you invest in your future, but not at the cost of your Today. And also not blow your tommorow by enjoying too much today. There has to be a very fine line to it.

Have you ever imagined how much your parents have invested in you (not just monetarily, the sacrifieces and everything).
tom69
If that's your view on the future well then have phun Wink i'd say, try to enjoy your life (don't mess it up) you only live once but does the fact that you all die once mean that you shouldn't enjoy live because if is does we can just all better kill ourself right now and makea Earth a better place to be. =p
Josso
I'm planning my headstone to say exactly this...

JOSS WEIGHTMAN
1991-20XX

"LOL."
rohan2kool
wait a minute.. i wasn't actually going into those lines. I had more of a scientific angle to it... sorry for messing it up. But things, to proceed it'ssomething like, time is a strange thing. Is time same for me, you and for everything in this universe?? When was the origin of time? If there was, what was there before it (there must be SOMETHING before it if we are to believe in the time theory) and what is the next? Does it end somewhere? Where is infinity? What is infinity?

What i posted earlier was a too-much-philisophical approach to it, but the thing is, whatever we do doesn't have any reason as such.

If u r feeling that i'm on drugs, then i just might be; just ignore me Very Happy
Davidgr1200
Taking a very philosophical view of it what you are saying is quite right. When I was 16 I though of it this way:
Get a good education, learn as much as possible and then discover new things to add to the sum total of human knowledge. I still agree with that, though I do see that this is not what 90% of people seem to be interested in. I've never been interested in promotion and that sort of thing as long as I've had enough money to get buy (that's why I'm still at the bottom of the hierarchy). I still have my interest in knowledge but have become resigned to the fact that I shall probably never add to the sum total in any meaningful way.
Cal_123
Bah live for the day man. If u think "Hm I'm gonna die sometime", ur gonna develop a nasty life Confused Ah well
cbw1230
rohan2kool wrote:
One day it's all gonna be over, nothing's the ultimate except end. Sometimes it goofs me.

Well that all depends on your outlook on life and the after life. Some believe that after you die the things in this life will determine how good/bad your after life will be. Others, like you, think that after you die then that's it.

The reason why some people work hard is because they either have to or they think that money will make them happy. Then there are others that believe that family focus will make them happy, so they make sure they spend time with them as much as they can to make them happy.

As for me I'm going to school so that I do not have to work hours and hours a day to make barley enough money to survive. AS for my family I want to get as far away from them as possible.
nilsmo
What is the point of all this, you say? That is the ultimate question. That is the question of life. That is "to be or not be." My answer is, why not? Smile
Jack_Hammer
rohan2kool wrote:
everybody out there is studying, going to coachings, spending fortunes on education... just to get a better future. You get a job, then you work hard to get a promotion for a better future. You get a promotion and work hard for a better position. You get a better position and then get retired, then work hard to still fit inside the long lost family (that's the general story as i've heard... i'm just 16 Very Happy ). Or leave that thing apart.. you go to various joints, freak out, have fun, fall in love, keep loved ones happy, try to enjoy.. but the thing is why are we doing this?? One day it's all gonna be over, nothing's the ultimate except end. Sometimes it goofs me. Any suggestions??

You may as well enjoy life whilst you've got it.
Wink
izcool
The reason on why we all want to improve ourselves (especially at school and at work) is because we want to live the best life that we can, instead of living a depressing life on the streets, holding up a cardboard sign asking for money. I'd much rather sit in a nice warm room and do my work instead of being out in the cold trying to get a couple of dollars so I can get some dinner.

In my freshman year in highschool I always questioned the meaning of why I exist, and thank goodness I had my website at the time, as I thought that was the reason for my existance. (At the time I owned a web game which several thousand people played daily). Later on, I decided that it was quite stupid of me to look on life like that, and try to make the best of my existance by getting some nicer things. One of them would be my laptop that I bought earlier this year. I love that thing to death.

Right now I'm hoping on getting my T-Mobile MDA phone (one of the best phones you can get right now) since my Motorola RAZR V3 isn't that much exciting any longer. It's a good phone, but from looking at what I seen online, I want that phone badly.

This goes as well as other things, like a nicer house to live in, a better job to work at (if you have a bad job you're going to be looking at life very negatively). I'd much rather be at a job that I enjoy going to every day instead of one that's what I would consider as "another day, another dollar" type of work.

If you never seen the Odd Todd website, it's a great site to get a few laughs from. I'm not too sure if the story that Odd Todd puts on is true, where he lost his job and is living off of the money he gets from his parents and from unemployment. His Flash cartoons are very funny, about how he lives through his life (or proposed life, since I don't know if what's on there is true) being without a job and without any monn-ay. (He talks a lot like that, like saying "coff-ay" lol).

That's all that I can say.

- Mike.
ThornsOfSorrow
There have been times when I think the same exact way that you are, yet I'm in college now, stressed out and angry at the world because of it. I think the reason that I'm working so hard is because, even though I'm stressed now, my problems are nothing compared to those of people who can't afford to eat each day. Food, shelter, and electricity all cost money. We need to work to make that money, and a better job means more money, which in turn means an easier life (although it doesn't seem that way when you're working to get that great job). Like I said, I often feel the same way that you do, but I think if I dropped out of college and was forced to find a job that requires nothing but a high school education and use those earnings to make a living, I would think in a completely different way. Working in school then in work, and constantly being rewarded for that hard work is much better than working at McDonalds and only being able to go so far with a job like that.

Also, another reason why most people graduate high school, then move on to college, and then get a job is because that's what we're expected to do. People with no jobs who just live to have fun each day and enjoy their lives are generally looked down upon by society. People of a certain age who don't have jobs are called lazy, and people with low-paying jobs are often looked down upon as well. This is why we work all of our lives to be the most successful human beings that we can possibly be. We want to be remembered as people with motivation and many accomplishments.
masquerade
I know how you feel I started looking at life in a very negative way like that but the fact is that it's true, hey why not top yourself and be done with it all? I think the whole point in life is finding a purpose and once you've found that it all makes sense. Personally I think that the purpose of humans is to create more humans even though I really don't think I could handel the stress of having kids racing around all the time and wanting me to play with them. The thing is that you just have to try harder to enjoy the fun bits and say yes to pretty much everything (apart from drugs, smoking etc.) like go bungee jumping just for the heck of it and that whole 'dance like no one is watching' thing. It works sometimes. You have to forget about finding the answers and reasons why and just have fun with your life.

Though I hate the way the world works sometimes, we're all part of a system and we're helping to keep it going and working, we created it and we're trapped by it. Fact is that every moment of sadness or doubt or depression that you have is a minute of happiness you'll never get back.
bartdou
something has no why!
they are what they used to be, if you ask why to anything, you can have a test, in the end, the final answer is without why it is like that, you should believe this!
we human are negligible in the huge universe, many thing in it is too abstruse for us to understand, we always think we human are great, in fact we are not.
many simplest questions we still can not give a good answer
if you think you must think out why something is, perhaps finally you will suiside for you can not find the answer, this happened in history
psycosquirrel
In response to the original post, my only thought was...

Why not do both?

Where I live and from my grades and such, I get a nearly-free trip through college. I don't have to spend a fortune on college, and I make myself an excellent future that I have been working on for years. I am still going to "have fun, fall in love, keep loved ones happy,[and] try to enjoy" life, but I take a more laid-back approach than you do. I let things come as they will, and try to deal with them accordingly. I'm having fun now, even though times are a bit rough. I'm not in love, but only because I am waiting for the right person. I keep all my friends and family close, and try to help them enjoy life as much as me.

And then it will be over, but I will have lived with no regrets. It will be the end for me, but I will be able to reflect on my life and feel full. That final, last feeling of pride; that one last flashback of life as a whole. That is what life is about, making the end as best as you can make it.
insanesnoopy
I you're right that ultimately we end up at the end, but it is how you percieve the journey to there. I have always been told that the ultimate torture is to get someone on their death bed to say "what if..." Life is ultimately about decisions....what you decide to do and why. You're making decisions that shape you everyday....even now. Consciously or unconsciencely you need to define your life experience.....because ultimately that is what life is.....experience.

You can play, work hard, do the things that you love....or you can wait till the end. For me I work hard to better put myself in a position to enjoy the things I love. Travelling, working out, spending time with the fiance.

That is just my view.

Cheers
ankur.vatsa
I'm 27. For 23 years in my life I did things said at the start of the thread. Since last four years I have defined what in life I want, I have even defined what is the shortest gain I am looking for and I have defined to myself that upto how much the money & promotion factors should affect me.

I have some principles set for life, I try sticking to them. I love my dad to have taught me the importance of time. He has always said 'TIME is a habit' and I strictly believe it. I spread my principles & thoughts to all the people I work with. I want everyone to be a better person.

I do not fear anyone, for I want that good should happen to everyone. I help people & do not expect any returns. I gang-up with people who share my thoughts & principles and we discuss and evaluate what has been good since last time and what can be made better.

I read a lot, almost everyday I read two to three pages of a good book.

I have my share of doubts & pains and happiness & successes and I find life is lovelier than ever.

Hoping that all who read this will be forced to think to devote themselves to just one common good.
TonkPilz
otiscom wrote:
"What the **** was that all about?".

Hahaha Mind if i borrow that for my headstone? he he ouch im laughing so hard my face is starting to hurt.

rohan2kool wrote:

Well my reasons for doing what i do is... (drum roll) to be able to do what i want to. I exchange some of my time to gain certain items (money) so i can exchange those item for what i need and want. and the point of all this don't know trying not to stay Bord i guess ?!?!?! Eh?

its a whats the meaning of life cinda question
a.Bird
I think that it is ignorant to look for the "point of life" outside of our own minds. That is to say, it's not necessarily in money, relatives, hobbies, etc., because those things are just... stuff. Physical matter. Only humans are plagued with this question as I'm sure my cat does not agonize over why he exists. He seems to just follow his instinct. The dandelion just grows. The earth just spins. Humans just chatter. Everything just is what it is.