FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mac and WiFi? [SOLVED!] Airport=Wifi

Simulator
Does anyone know if Mac supports WiFi connections? I'd like to link it up to my wireless network though I can't find any support on it. If not can you use a Internet connection through blue-tooth?
Saber
If your mac has a wireless card then yes it can. What kind of mac do you have?
Simulator
I don't have one yet, but I was thinking of getting a Mac Mini, that has AirPort and Bluetooth, I'm a noob when it comes to Macs, its a whole new world for me
{name here}
Simulator wrote:
I don't have one yet, but I was thinking of getting a Mac Mini, that has AirPort and Bluetooth, I'm a noob when it comes to Macs, its a whole new world for me

I suggest you don't worry because Macs were meant for the computer illiterate person inside all of us. It should be easy for you.
Simulator
So what I just cross my fingers and hope that it will somehow connect to my wifi connection.... Rolling Eyes Though that does work for Windows.......

Anyway, in short I want to know if a WiFi card/slot can be setup on a Mac
Saber
most macs come with a wireless card in them. Some of the old ones dont, but I think all the newer ones do. Ill check that tho.

Then to connect its just like connecting anything else to wireless.

Yup they all come with build in wireless cards.
Xeniczone
Just make sure you have the Airport card. The Card not the software. Apple is a little confusing using the name for both the hardware and the software.

As far as getting started on a mac it should be fairly easy. Unlike most linux version that are made to be similar to Windows. Macintosh doesn't do this. They stick with their own traditions. If you have any questions you can just email me.
coreymanshack
Xeniczone wrote:
Just make sure you have the Airport card. The Card not the software. Apple is a little confusing using the name for both the hardware and the software.

As far as getting started on a mac it should be fairly easy. Unlike most linux version that are made to be similar to Windows. Macintosh doesn't do this. They stick with their own traditions. If you have any questions you can just email me.

Most linux versions made to be similar to windows? please explain.. i have yet to find a linux version that tries to stay similar to windows... If i am thinking on the right track(in wich I am probably not) linux was there BEFORE windows.
Simulator
I think hes on about the GUI,

ok so Saber, are you saying that all new macs come with built in WiFi, or have they got a slot that you can add a WiFi card too?
Saber
macbook - has it allready
macbook pro - has it allready
mac pro - has the slot, you can oder it with a card tho.
imac - has it allready
mini mac - has it allready
any others I didnt cover?
Simulator
Saber wrote:
macbook - has it allready
macbook pro - has it allready
mac pro - has the slot, you can oder it with a card tho.
imac - has it allready
mini mac - has it allready
any others I didnt cover?

So is WiFi called AirPort in Mac Terms?
Manofgames
i think that airport is sommat to do with wifi and music streaming....

not quite sure.

anyway.

I know this guy who's setting up a site called... wait for it....

The Mac Nurse.
Claims it should offer support for Macs etc.

http://www.themacnurse.com

he's updating it now but it should come out soon.

he's quite a wiz @ this mac stuff
Saber
Quote:
So is WiFi called AirPort in Mac Terms?

Yes that correct
novisdesign
If you buy any computer except the Mac Pro you will get wireless built in (i think). The wireless card is call 'Airport' and on a Mac Pro you can get it built to order. It is easy to use and should be in the manual of the computer you buy for the software side of it. Good luck

-gs
coreymanshack
Simulator wrote:
I think hes on about the GUI,

ok so Saber, are you saying that all new macs come with built in WiFi, or have they got a slot that you can add a WiFi card too?

o ok thanks for clarification... but there are only a few that try to mimic windows style..
Simulator
Great thanks for the response!
johnsabotta
For wireless networking, the Apple Airport cards are ridiculously exopensive and the older machines won't take the Airport Wireless G cards.

If your mac has PCI slots, get a Broadcom based wireless card and download a Ralink Mac driver, which they supply for their cards which are marketed by many different suppliers
Animal
Topic is [SOLVED] according to the author, so this topic can be -closed-

Please PM any moderator if you want it reopened Very Happy