You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

black metal

I've been listening to a lot of heavy metal recently and want to change over to some other band. can anyone suggest some good black metal band to listen to. thanks.
Sure! Black metal owns.

Borknagar, Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, Bal-Sagoth, Enslaved, Salem, Behemoth, Bathory, Cradle of Filth...

Give me your MSN address, I'll send you some albums.
OT: But is so cool about black metal? I certainly don,t hope its the lyrics, cause most are satanic - you know that of caurse. In my eyes it really just bad mixed noise.

achene, black metal has a very atmospheric and almost epic sound to it most often. This is the reason that I personally like it. It tends to feel big. If you think it sounds like badly mixed noise I suggest you listen to it some more. And possibly release your head from your arse when you do it so that you can actually hear it. It may not be your cup of tea, but it is often very well made music.

At the same time I don't listen to some black metal because of the bands actions. (This is mainly the norweigian ones who have been involved in murder and church burnings and the such). That does not reflect on all black metal though.

As for bands, I'd agree with what Helios said. Deffinitely get Borknagar. Also, look into Arcturus. They are more Avantgarde Metal than black, but deffinatly have the black feeling there as well.
Arcturus is one of my favourite bands Smile
Although Simen didn't take any singing lessons, his voice is amazing!
BTW, I saw few clips from their new DVD (@youtube), how tall is that guy?!
Dimmu borgr is very good, also i like anothr band that isnt famous it is call
Skyfire i like it a lot,

Also i recommend Opeth.
Never heard of Skyfire... will try it out then Smile

Opeth isn't black, but it's a good band anyway. Mikael's vox is deadly!
Finnish folk black metal is great. Like Moonsorrow and Korpiklaani. I can't understand anything of their lyrics, but the sound is still amazing Very Happy
achene wrote:
OT: But is so cool about black metal? I certainly don,t hope its the lyrics, cause most are satanic - you know that of caurse. In my eyes it really just bad mixed noise.

That's a pretty close-minded opinion. A lot of black metal lyrics are satanic, but so what? I'm an atheist, but that never stopped me from listening to Emperor and Deicide, both of which have satanic lyrics. It also doesn't stop me from being obsessed with the music of Neal Morse, who sings about nothing but Christianity. I don't agree with the churh burning associated with black metal (which really isn't all that common anyway), but they're just lyrics. Even if you're religious, it doesn't make you a bad person to listen to people singing about Satan in an almost commical fashion (at least in Deicide's case). Really, besides racism, I can't think of any lyrical theme that should offend anyone.

As for it being badly mixed noise, it's true that some older black metal albums don't have the greatest audio quality, but that doesn't make it noise. In order to listen to something like black metal (or even death metal), you have to really love the genre and listen to it with an open mind. If you turn on a black metal CD thinking that all it will be is noise, then that's what you'll hear. As Tulkamir said, it is very atmospheric and very well made. I've tried to play a few black metal songs on guitar, and I couldn't even come close. So whether or not you think it's just noise, there's no denying that it's made by very talented musicians.

With all this being said, I don't even listen to black metal anymore. However, some black metal bands that I used to love were Emperor, Borknagar, Enslaved, and Immortal (I'm surprised that no one has mentioned them yet).
Korpiklaani is in no way black metal, but they are a great band. Smile Haven't heard any moonsorrow though, so I'm going to have to check em out.

Also, if you are looking for black metal I might also suggest viking metal. It's somewhat of an offshoot, very heavy music. If your interested check Amon Armeth, they're one of my fav's.
I think you'll find more than enough answers in THIS thread...

Please remember to use the SEARCH function for an answer/pre-existing thread before posting a new thread.

Wink ,
=> Jess