FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CDRWs

Donutey
Is it just normal for these things to be really hard to read in most CD/DVD players? 2/3 of my drives wont' read them (two diff brands), and my CD player has to read a normal CD right before in order to recognize a CDRW (???).
RiCtee
This usually happens if you got an old drive or CD, that's not following the defined standard. What's the CD and drive brand?
Quote:
CD player has to read a normal CD right before in order to recognize a CDRW

NOT NORMAL!!
RoadCrasher
check your drive that you burned your cd on. it may be durty or just the lasser is week to burn. Sad post the brand and model of teh cd/rw that it was written on, it may help a lot.
charseips
CD/RW are not a defined standard, like any DVD R/W and DVD R+. So most CD/DVD players won't play them, some do and some others have this glitch where you can trick them by loading the first part of a disc using a proper CD/DVD and then removing said disk and inserting a Re-Writable one. It's similar to the way cheat disks work.

Weird all these machines, the standards often aren't implemented properly so in a way your lucky to be able to read RWs.

If your device used to be able to read them then try a decent cd/dvd lens cleaner disk or use a cotton bud and pure alcohol (not too much)- available from a chemist. This will clean the laser's lens and remove any static/ interferance from it's surface.
Jaan
DESTROY YOUR BOX! AHMGAD JOO PHREEK!
esaveme
Some times you have to close your disc so it can be read in most players. I know that with CD-R that the disc has to be closed to be recongised in most players. I know that there is a setting to stop closing the disc in case you want to add more stuff onto a CD-R as i have done this in the pass.
Bones
Yes a lot of players have trouble with the RW's, especially (as mentioned by esaveme) if the disk is not closed.

There really isn't much reason to leave the session open anyway as most cd/dvd players will not read multi-session disks (at least not in my experience, newer ones may make a liar out of me).

Well let me rephrase that..it's not that they won't read multi-session disks, but rather that they can only read the first session of a multi-session disk.

I've also had cd players that would not read an audio cd burned on a CD-RW disk, but would read one burned on a CD-R with no problems.