FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

question on vb programming...

greenux
now i am writing a library system...i use vb language and mdb file to support my library system...i find itz very slow to get the data from mdb file when the data is getting much more...anyway to faster it??
JBotAlan
I have no experience whatsoever with database access with VB; my dad does, but he needs to know what version of Access are you using, what method of accessing the data are you using (ADO and DAO are two methods that he said you can use). I'm sorry if this is confusing; like I said I know about nothing about databases.

JBot
rayx
You can also use OLEDB for microsoft access.
Philip
hehe oh yeah access databases system is $uck. Razz
when u read how access work i think u will supprised by it.
access work by copying all table from the real databases to local #if using lan accessing# and read and write it. and synchron it.

i think u need to change the databases system to mysql or sql server Developer Smile since it is free not like sql server enterprise and oracle Smile
djclue917
greenux wrote:
now i am writing a library system...i use vb language and mdb file to support my library system...i find itz very slow to get the data from mdb file when the data is getting much more...anyway to faster it??

Why use Access databases in the first place when you are developing a library system??? You might want to use other more powerful databases like PostgreSQL or MySQL. And don't use VB for God's sake... You're like going back through time developing software using 1998 M$ products...
djclue917
greenux wrote:

By the way, there's a very related topic here:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-51719.html

He's using VB + MySQL. You might want to contact him for details on how to use VB to connecto to a MySQL database (I think this is quite easy although I haven't tried it yet).

The problem with Access databases is that they aren't really meant to be used for relatively bigger projects like library systems and the like. In my humble opinion, Access databases are like "toy databases".

I hope you'll switch to MySQL soon. I'm very sure that you'll definitely notice a major speed gain after you do the switch. Wink
marixworld
Use MySQL as the backend. Access, like must of the folks here said, is very slow especially when it comes to large scale application. You need to download MyODBC connector so VB-ADO can communicate with the MySQL database. You also need to create a Data Source Name (DSN). For more info, visit www.mysql.com, they have articles their on how to connect VB with MySQL. I tell you, it's really good, fast and reliable. The only problem i think is that you need to configure the MySQL Server (mysqld) so that it will automatically start on Windows start-up, otherwise, you need to run it manually everytime the computer boot-up.