FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem connecting my new laptop to my home network & DS

kiwiflower
OK, so I have an home network that consists of 2 desktop machines and a laptop. The hardware package is SBC's Homeportal by 2Wire. I have the two desktop machines connected through USB and Ethernet, and the laptop through a 2Wire wireless card.

I bought a new HP dv8305us notebook computer and am trying to get it connected to the network and Internet using the original software provided by SBC and the 2Wire wireless card. The new laptop has Windows XP Media Center. Initially the setup completes, but when I restart the computer I can only start windows in safe mode, and the network connection never does happen.

Short of calling SBC Tech Support, does anyone have any ideas on how I can get this machine talking to my home network and able to use the Internet?

Thank you very much,
Kiwiflower
Sunny
Quote:
I bought a new HP dv8305us notebook computer and am trying to get it connected to the network and Internet using the original software provided by SBC and the 2Wire wireless card. The new laptop has Windows XP Media Center. Initially the setup completes, but when I restart the computer I can only start windows in safe mode, and the network connection never does happen.

Thats why its called safe mode, system runs only with minimum required components and networking is not part of it. You didn't mention why you can't boot system in normal mode, like what errors you get etc.So I only have to guess the problem, In safe mode you can go to "device manager" (right click my computer>>properties>>hardware>>device manager) and find your "network adapter", right click on it and disable it, then see if you can retsart pc in normal mode.
esaveme
It does look like a hardware issue. Instead of disabling the network driver, i would remove them. I would also suggest going to the manufactuers website to get the latest drivers and install these once you get back in windows properly.

But without more information we cant tell you much more