FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bad Sectors

Tony The Tiger
This week I bought a new 750 GB external hard drive because I had outgrown my storage capacity. Previously I had a 40 GB internal HD and both 80 GB and 320 GB external HDs. A new iPod and a summer of using my digital camera as a video recorder for my martial arts had filled my two smaller drives that I had been backing up to my larger hard drive. I have moved all the backup files on my old 320 GB to my 750 GB and all my old files from my old 80 GB to my 320 GB. Last night, I attempted my first Norton Ghost backup of the 40 and 320 to the 750. Norton crashed due to bad sectors on the 320. This morning, I was able to successfully backup just the 40 GB internal to the 750 GB. On my temp page (http://www.tonythetiger.frih.net/Temp.html ) you can find links to my system profile before and after moving all the files this week.

I am wondering what I can do to resolve the bad sectors. Do I have to reformat the HD? I am especially worried about my nearly 40GB of iTunes Library files.

P.S. I have already reformatted and donated my old 80 GB HD.
psycosquirrel
Do not reformat.

Backup everything you can first, then open My Computer and right-click the drive, then go into Properties. Click the Tools tab and click Check Now under the Error-Checking tab. Click both the checkboxes in the menu that pops up and then click Start.

It will probably require you to restart and then it will do it before Windows loads. It should recover the sectors. Afterwards, Defragment the drive and try to shut down using only start>shut down to avoid bad sectors in the future.

Everyone should defragment their hard drives at least monthly. The drives will both run faster and be less likely to get bad sectors.
badai
you can't fix bad sector.

try HDD Regenerator (look it up in google), i don't know if it really work anyway.
Tony The Tiger
psycosquirrel wrote:
Do not reformat.

Backup everything you can first, then open My Computer and right-click the drive, then go into Properties. Click the Tools tab and click Check Now under the Error-Checking tab. Click both the checkboxes in the menu that pops up and then click Start.

It will probably require you to restart and then it will do it before Windows loads. It should recover the sectors. Afterwards, Defragment the drive and try to shut down using only start>shut down to avoid bad sectors in the future.

Everyone should defragment their hard drives at least monthly. The drives will both run faster and be less likely to get bad sectors.

I will try this and then report back tomorrow if not later tonight.
psycosquirrel
badai wrote:
you can't fix bad sector.

try HDD Regenerator (look it up in google), i don't know if it really work anyway.

NO, YOU CAN.

It is always a good idea to reformat after the diskcheck, but it pisses me off when people say you absolutely cannot fix a bad sector. If DiskCheck succeeds (which it usually does), you retain all good sectors with NO DATA LOSS.
Tony The Tiger
psycosquirrel wrote:
Do not reformat.

I have copied every file from the problematic 320 GB hard disk to my 750 GB hard disk. I also have a couple of backups from earlier this month of the same folders. However, I have followed the procedure above and remain unable to perform a Norton backup due to bad sectors. I am also in a loop that won’t allow me to run Disk Defragmenter. Each time I try to run defragmenter I get the following message.

Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume: Western Digital 320 GB (FSmile.

Please run Chkdsk /f.

When I restart to allow Chkdsk to run Chkdsk shows 0 bad sectors.

When I try to run Norton Ghost I get the following message:

Backup of F:\ did not complete successfully. Error E7C3000F: Device \\.\ PQV2iSnapShot2 cannot read 4,096 sectors starting at LBA 73,787,112. Error 00000002: The system cannot find the file specified. (0xE7C3000F)

Tomorrow, I will contact the vendor. What will happen to the bad sectors if I reformat the 320 GB?
psycosquirrel
They will go away with a reformat, unless the sector issue is being caused by the hardware. From my experience, that is rare because bad sectors are usually caused by improperly written data from a hard shutoff or something of that sort...
ForceRun
Yeap, data just gets messed up, and diskcheck should fix the problem.
RT Cunningham
The absolutely best solution for fixing a disk with bad sector is to get the program at www.grc.com called "SpinRite". I have used one of the versions on every hard drive I ever had problems with dating back to 1991. In fact, at one time it was the only program that could fix bad sectors marked by Norton Disk Doctor.

I don't know how much it costs, but it's worth every penny to have it in your arsenal.