FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

1 thread for the middle east conflict?

JoeFriday
as it's rather simplistic (and not in a good way) to keep all Middle East Conflict discussions in one thread.. given that there is new information arising on a weekly basis... here's a good idea, for once

how about a middle east forum? that way it's all contained in one area, but different aspects can be discussed in different ways, rather than the idiotic idea of putting it all into one thread that rambles on forever and good points are instantly lost among the in-fighting

I know I'll be avoiding the Middle East Conflict Thread, but there are often interesting developments that I'd like to share
suntzu3500
Same thing here - I dont have the time to follow such an active and diverse topic. It needs to have either it's own forum or subforum (not sure if that's possible.)
bangala
I agree with you JoeFriday. Setting one thread for the whole issues of the M.E was like discouraging many members from posting, which is basically against the whole purpose of this site. I hope that moderators will remove this restricton on posting soon. Allocating a section or forum for the M.E. is a good suggestion too.
Traveller
This thread is not a discussion of world news, but a suggestion of something for the admins to consider implementing in the Forum. Thus, I have moved it to its proper place.
JoeFriday
ok, you're right that it should have been in the Suggestion forum.. however, that forum sees very little traffic (and I personally didn't even realize it existed when I made the suggestion)

thanks for moving my suggestion, and I hope it is strongly considered
S3nd K3ys
Agreed. I've wanted to say something for a while, but haven't. I never thought about a ME forum, that's a great idea.

:edit:

Perhaps a forum for war in general, not just limited to ME?
S3nd K3ys
Guess the mods don't see it that way... Crying or Very sad
tidruG
Well, IMO, there are too many forums already.
But maybe allowing another thread for M.E. is not a bad idea. However, it'll have to be discussed with the other staff.
Vashni
good idea, keeps things clean
adnan
I fully agree with Vash.
okullar
Maybe the best choice is erasing all mesages about it Laughing Laughing Laughing
adnan
lol Laughing
simplyw00x
I think subforum = good, megathread = bad. The paged form is inherently bad for navigation and searching, and doesn't properly take into account the idea of discussion topics at all. Also, it's an important conflict with many aspects and points of view so I think a subforum is entirely justified.
bangala
Well at least remove the restriction of posting only in one thread. The number of posts was abnormally higher during the war in Lebanon. It's almost back to normal now!
Anybody hears what we're saying here?
tidruG
bangala wrote:
Anybody hears what we're saying here?

*cleans ears*
hmm... I think I heard a squeek in this little thread called "1 thread for the middle east conflict?".... possibly just a figment of my imagination.... been listening to too much Tool lately....

On a more (boring) serious note:
I have been reading the replies in this thread. I've noticed 2 things though... new threads keep popping up about the M.E., all of which are not always locked (for some strange reason... well, the truth is out there).
Now I understand that's no reason not to make an official statement about allowing another thread for the M.E. conflict, but still... it can get quite annoying when new threads pop up anyway...

Anyway, I'll start another round of discussions about this... expect a staff member to make an official statement shortly.
simplyw00x
As long as they're about different aspects of the conflict, and not just "ZOMG HOW SOLVE?!?!?111111oneone" then I don't see the problem with having more than one thread about it. Do you?
S3nd K3ys
The ME conflict is huge with many many different faces that cannot possibly be contained coherently in one giant thread. Wink
Bockman
S3nd K3ys wrote:
The ME conflict is huge with many many different faces that cannot possibly be contained coherently in one giant thread. Wink

We all know that the ME thread is not the premium choice for the debate. Unfortunately, due to the humongous number of threads that were being created (and we still have a big number of them popping up, even with this rule) forced us to take a position to avoid having general chat used mainly (at the time this rule was enforced, I'd say "exclusively") for the debate of the ME conflict.

I know this isn't the ideal situation, but we cannot afford to have 30 new topics on this theme everyday.

Be Well Cool

P.S. - I also disagree with having a Forum for this situation only
simplyw00x
Quote:

Why? If there's that much interest in it, what's your problem with having a forum for all the issues regrading the conflict?
S3nd K3ys
simplyw00x wrote:
Quote:

Why? If there's that much interest in it, what's your problem with having a forum for all the issues regrading the conflict?

x2.

There are so many issues to debate, perhaps you (the staff) should take the time to at least consider what is obviously popular and wanted by members; a forum based on the ME conflicts (more specifically, War in general) which are always going on.

If not, I suppose we could go back and forth between the huge ME thread and the Religion forums, considering many of the issues in the ME involve religion (Jihad, Holy War etc.)

I think it would be a shame to polute the Religioun forums with war stories. Wink