FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Kids these days

Have teenagers disappeared from the streets of your town?
What's a teenager, never saw one before?
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
I wish, those jerks are everywhere
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
I see the odd few
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
No change from 10 years ago
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

OldmanJ
Question for the 20 somethings out there...I'm curious, do any of you notice that kids are different than when you were 10-17 years olds old?

Man, back where I'm from, when we were 13-16ish, we were constantly on the go. If it wasn't dirtbiking, then it was just roaming the town seein who we'd run in to. When we start either driving, or knowing people who could drive, we were gone cruising the town every day and night.

I go home to visit once in a while, and it just doesn't make sense. The great old dirtbike trails are growing over, and I'll be damned if I ever see anyone out on the streets. What the hell is going on???

My guess... MSN messenger. That damn thing, coupled with social networking sites is going to ruin the teenage lives of so many kids. Too bad they won't likely realize until it's too late. Not to mention their ability to write a full, grammatically correct sentence.

Anyway, that's my rant of the day... do you notice this in your hometown?
Rico
In my hometown I see teenagers. They’re usually running, clasping valuables. No they didn’t steal them; they’re scared that they could get mugged. Crime is so ridiculous here; my teenage niece was robbed of her cell phone and cash by a gang of pre-teens. I think kids stay indoors here because they fear for their safety.
ThornsOfSorrow
Well, I'm only 19, but even I notice a difference. For example, when I was a little kid, I was outside for at least 2 hours every single day, and so were all the other kids in my neighborhood. We would ride bikes, run around together, and get into intense, but relatively innocent arguments with each other. Now that my neighborhood has a whole group of different kids growing up in it, I NEVER see them outside. Even when it snows, I rarely see snowmen anywhere in my town, and it makes me sad. Even I made a snowman last year!

Even the middle school kids are different compared to when I was in middle school. They're mostly between 11 and 14, and a surprising number of them are having sex with multiple people and experimenting with drugs. To me, this is absurd; I don't remember any of this happening when I was in middle school. I don't know why this is happening, but I've realized that it's a growing problem, even in my sleepy little town.
chrismen
I just moved a year ago but Boston has a lot of people around 20.
screamingdecay
ThornsOfSorrow wrote:
Well, I'm only 19, but even I notice a difference. For example, when I was a little kid, I was outside for at least 2 hours every single day, and so were all the other kids in my neighborhood. We would ride bikes, run around together, and get into intense, but relatively innocent arguments with each other. Now that my neighborhood has a whole group of different kids growing up in it, I NEVER see them outside. Even when it snows, I rarely see snowmen anywhere in my town, and it makes me sad. Even I made a snowman last year!

Even the middle school kids are different compared to when I was in middle school. They're mostly between 11 and 14, and a surprising number of them are having sex with multiple people and experimenting with drugs. To me, this is absurd; I don't remember any of this happening when I was in middle school. I don't know why this is happening, but I've realized that it's a growing problem, even in my sleepy little town.
Welcome to the real world... They think " Were so grown up, we can do what ever want" Needs to be stoped, and a chain put on each of there legs, they shouldent be doing that crap at that age.
standready
I never see teenagers out in my neighborhood. They all sit inside playing video games or chatting on the computer.
rightclickscott
All the kids around here in Middletown are always high. Then again, everyone's high in Middletown. I think I've explained this before, but this town has so many drug problems, that, and this is a true story, one of my friends, Sam, she went to like Bridgeport, I think, and she said she was from Middletown, and the first thing someone asked her was "Oh, so you must be a drug dealer?" That kind of attitude is everywhere, even here, where people thing I'm a dealer, but I actually quit doing drugs all together for accouple months now. But, yeah, in this town, the kids are either doing drugs and having sex, or talking abour doing drugs and having sex. I once overheard one of my little sister's old friends who I think just got into high school, I don't know, but she was with some group of friends asking if they were going to high at either her place or some other kids place. Kids today, man, they're trying to grow up really fast, and they even believe some things like getting a cell phone are some kind of right of passage into adulthood. One kid was amazed that I don't have a cell phone, since I have no use for one, but he was in aww when I told that to him. Kids today, man, they need to stop growing up so fast.
Daniel15
Well, kids around here are......

...wait, there isn't really that many kids around here any more (they've all moved elsewhere Razz). Seriously though, things like gaming consoles and PC games, and also other things like MSN Messenger, etc. have had a huge effect on kids. Well, I can't really say much more, as I'm only 16 and haven't really been around long enough to see any change.
Quote:
Not to mention their ability to write a full, grammatically correct sentence.

Hey, I can do that... I always get annoyed when people write it's instead of its Razz

Quote:
All the kids around here in Middletown are always high. Then again, everyone's high in Middletown.

Geez, things around there sound a lot different to here in Melbourne. I've never actually seen anyone that uses drugs, except for medications and stuff
Hobbit
Well I haven't really noticed. Even though I'm on the computer a lot, I still skateboard, and play in a band. Those two activities take a lot of my time.
ThornsOfSorrow
@rightclickscott: Wow, you live just towns over from me (I'm assuming that you're talking about Middletown and Bridgeport, Connecticut, because if you're not, then that would be a huge coincidence). I never go to Middletown, but I've been to Bridgeport on multiple occasions, and I'm very surprised that someone in Bridgeport assumed that your friend was a drug dealer. I always assumed that Bridgeport was one of the worst towns in the area concerning drugs and crime (especially with the triple homicide that occured recently), so it's hard for me to imagine Bridgeport kids basically thinking that Middletown is worse. Then again, I may be somewhat sheltered since I live in North Haven, and bad things rarely happen here.

Also, I completely agree on the aspect of kids getting cell phones. I didn't have one until I started driving, and my parents had to force me to carry one just in case my car breaks down. I don't understand why kids who are only 9 or 10 years old need to have cell phones. I got along just fine without one, so they should too.
Mwilliams
I'm the only 17 year old that chills and walks the streets in my town.

Teens these days spend to much time on myspace and they don't feel like driving or walking the streets.
OldmanJ
Sounds about right... I should mention that my hometown is a pretty little area. The region has about maybe 30-40,000ish. I'm sure the reasons for hiding change as the population grows. Like one fella mentioned, crime probably plays a part in some of the larger areas. Anyway, all very interesting... if you have kids, tell'em to get the hell out and play
caroline
I'm a kid, and I almost never go outside after school - neither does anyone else I know. I guess if we are outside we're in a more "public" place, like getting pearl milk tea Very Happy
RhysAndrews
Yes, I see lots of teenagers roaming around town. Most of them are idiot gangsters. All the nerds, etc.. like myself, would probably be hanging around at home. That said, I think it can go either way... half teenagers on the streets, half on the computer.

-Rhys