FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Progresive Metal

XeRo
through the years the metal progresive bands sounds louder than before and the people listen to other people talking about the great musicians that are into the bands...

My favorite bands are

Symphony X
Dream Theater
Rush
Atvance

Someone likes another bands?
DimAce
Yeah, they are realy cool bands
(ABBA covers by At Vance - Exclamation ) Smile

I also prefer:
Stratovarius
Sonata Arctica (playing in WinAmp now Smile )
Rage
Russian bands: "Aria", "Catharsis"
shr3dd
prog is the best genre ever!!! lol
some other bands: Angra, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Andromeda, Aryeon, Pain of Salvation, Spock's Beard, Evergrey, Spastic Ink, Gordian Knot, Liquid Tension Experiment, King's X, Planet X, King Crimson, Masterplan, The Flower King's and many more if you look
Shewolf
I guess I can just agree with you. Progressive metal is great!
But I don't think I would classify Sonata Arctica to be progressive, though they have some of that style in them.
ThornsOfSorrow
First of all, I can't even express how excited I am that there's actually a progressive metal thread on this board...or any board that I post on. I'm a complete progsnob. Unfortunately, I haven't met any others in person, so I've had to discover most of what I listen to on my own, but here are some of my favorite prog bands:

Rush (greatest band ever, in my eyes)
Spock's Beard
Porcupine Tree
Ayreon (Arjen is a genius)
Yes (I'm just starting to get into them, so if anyone can recommend any good albums, that would be great!)
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Masterplan
Everon
Pain of Salvation
Aina
Kamelot (I know they're not technically prog, but they're close enough)
Neal Morse
Shadow Gallery
and many, many others!
Vonn
Mmmm, y'know who's good?
The Mars Volta.
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez is a great guitarist. ;x
the zephyrus
I was randomly introduced to Dream Theater not that long ago, and they may well have become my favorite group since then. I just feel a connection with their music. (Wow my life must be sad for that to be the case.) I've also heard a decent bit of Symphony X and a tiny amount of Rush from Pandora Internet Radio. ( http://www.pandora.com/ )
Nutteloos
I'm a big fan of Dream Theater myself. Their side projects are awesome too.

John Petrucci's solo album, Suspended Animation, is quite good, and Jordan Rudess also has some great works. Liquid Tension Experiment (1&2) are still two of my favorite albums of all time.
Ducksteina
I'm not into Progressive Metal really. However, I like Tool as a Progressive Rock band Smile
tingkagol
porcupine tree is pretty good. not too heavy though. dream theater is just too technical for me. Mars Volta is just messy, and their guitarist isn't that good. just dances a lot on stage.
Nutteloos
tingkagol wrote:
porcupine tree is pretty good. not too heavy though. dream theater is just too technical for me. Mars Volta is just messy, and their guitarist isn't that good. just dances a lot on stage.

Porcupine Tree is one of my favorites too. There's probably more out there but can't think of 'em right now. Haven't heard Mars Volta though, maybe I should check them out.
altmana
I recommend that yall check out Isis they have several albums out now and are quite skilled. they have a great balance of build up and shredding so i think they will fit this prog metal label
The Mitchell
Yes
King Crimson
Can
Tool - Wooo going to see them on the 30th
Amplifier - more prog rock
Oceansize
The Mars Volta
Isis
miocene
earthtone 9
achene
A lot of you mixes up progressive metal and power metal. Some progressive metal is very close related to power metal but not all indeed.

Power Metal:
Hammerfall
Masterplan
At Vance (actually funny that someone mensioned this band. I didn't thought it was a very famous band)
Helloween
Edguy

Power Metal with progressive influences:
Stratovarius
Sonata Arctica
Angra

Progressive Metal with power metal influences:
Symphony X
Ayreon
Progressive Metal: (theres a lot different variasions)
Pain of salvation
Dream Theater
Opeth
Isis,
Queensr˙che
Savatage

Anyways I love bands like: (If power metal counts)
Stratovarius, Symphony X, Angra, Blind Guardian, Sonata Arctica, Edguy, Queensr˙che and more.
soulman
dont forget Rhapsody, it's a very good band too~
ThornsOfSorrow
You mean "Rhapsody of Fire." Laughing Wink Then again, I'll always know them as just "Rhapsody" too.
equi
Of course progressive rock/metal is talked about all over the world. I guess it's a genre growing.

I own pretty much all official music by Dream Theater, either on DVD or CD or both.

One group that hasn't been mention yet (I think) is Riverside from Poland. Really great stuff. A lot of influences frĺn Pink Floyd, also some growling that I usually don't like But in Riverside i do.
ThornsOfSorrow
I forgot about Riverside when I made my list! I was actually just listening to "Out of Myself" this morning. You're right though; they're a great band. Besides Pink Floyd, I think a lot of their music sounds a bit like the clean sections of Opeth songs...I could just be crazy though.
Ozzy
Rush
Dream Theater
Atheist
Alarum
Cynic
Liquid Tension Experiment
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Yes
Queensr˙che
Angra
King Crimson
Opeth
Fates Warning
Spiral Architect
Shadow Gallery
Power Of Omens
Later Lost Horizon
Pagan's Mind
Dreamscape
Threshold
Ion Vein
Pain Of Salvation.
Amorphis
Tool
Rosanova
ThornsOfSorrow wrote:
First of all, I can't even express how excited I am that there's actually a progressive metal thread on this board...or any board that I post on. I'm a complete progsnob. Unfortunately, I haven't met any others in person, so I've had to discover most of what I listen to on my own, but here are some of my favorite prog bands:

Rush (greatest band ever, in my eyes)
Spock's Beard
Porcupine Tree
Ayreon (Arjen is a genius)
Yes (I'm just starting to get into them, so if anyone can recommend any good albums, that would be great!)
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Masterplan
Everon
Pain of Salvation
Aina
Kamelot (I know they're not technically prog, but they're close enough)
Neal Morse
Shadow Gallery
and many, many others!

Hi there,

I agree that both Rush, Yes and even Led Zeppelin is very important bands for the proggenre, but I don't agree to call them for prog.

By the way try to check out Evergrey, I'm sure that you would love them.

Cheers!
ThornsOfSorrow
Rush and Yes may not be progressive metal, but most people still label them as progressive rock. I guess it all depends on how you define the genre...

And Evergrey is great; they're one of the first prog bands I started listening to.
Rosanova
ThornsOfSorrow wrote:
Rush and Yes may not be progressive metal, but most people still label them as progressive rock.

Hi,

I'm great fan of Rush, and I've been it for a couple of decades. I think that could be the reason why I've trouble to classify them as Prog. But you might be right. As many also label Black Sabbath as Heavy Metal or Doom, make Rush as the founder of Prog, as well as Black Sabbath is the founder of Heavy Metal etc. Rush is still going strong, and their lineup hasen't been changed since "Fly by Night", but they are also only 3 members.. Smile So in the future would I also label Rush as prog.. Smile

Cheers!

... And happy newyear
Jakob [JaWGames]
Progressive/power metal is probably the genre I like the most, some of the bands is listens to is:

Sonata Arctica
Vanishing Point
Dragonland

If you like Progressive metal, check out Vanishing Point, few know them but they are a great band Wink
Rosanova
Hi there,

I got a thought that I've never thought before. As a great King Diamond fan did I went into wikipedia to check up what that was on King Diamond, actually wasn't King Diamond that I was looking for, but Slayer where I found a link to King Diamond on Wikipedia ???

Now, back to the thought that I've never thought before. King Diamond was categorized as Progressive Metal??? Strange, but btw. not so strange anyway, as his music is actually Prog, but a little harder than we're used to into the genre.

Arguments:

1. He is working with concept albums.
2. He is melodic.
3. He is using keyboard and synths on the most of his tracks.
4. He is actually what ever other prog freaks want it or not, prog into his genre.

So I would hereby declare King Diamond welcome into the Prog heaven (or hell.. Smile ..)

Cheers!
gtherockgod
I find sometimes prog can be a bit tedious to listen to, especially when each song goes on for 8 or 9 minutes. I do however listen to a lot of Opeth, i really like them. I tend to favor bands like Mastodon though- lots of proggy elements, but without the 10 minute songs.
okullar
I like them except Dream Theater. I don't know why but it sounds like very far from metal concept for me
Helios
Not a big prog. fan, but one (maybe) less-known prog. band which I like is Spiral Architect Smile
Also, Opeth is great. Although they are sometimes too prog.
swarna
okullar wrote:
I like them except Dream Theater. I don't know why but it sounds like very far from metal concept for me

any link to d/l ?? please
tingkagol
achene wrote:
A lot of you mixes up progressive metal and power metal. Some progressive metal is very close related to power metal but not all indeed.

Power Metal:
Hammerfall
Masterplan
At Vance (actually funny that someone mensioned this band. I didn't thought it was a very famous band)
Helloween
Edguy

Power Metal with progressive influences:
Stratovarius
Sonata Arctica
Angra

Progressive Metal with power metal influences:
Symphony X
Ayreon
Progressive Metal: (theres a lot different variasions)
Pain of salvation
Dream Theater
Opeth
Isis,
Queensr˙che
Savatage

Anyways I love bands like: (If power metal counts)
Stratovarius, Symphony X, Angra, Blind Guardian, Sonata Arctica, Edguy, Queensr˙che and more.

don't sweat it.

and i can't stand mastodon. i dunno.
Tatsumaru
I don't really know what it is that 'defines' proggressive metal, but some bands that come to mind:

- Shadow Gallery
- Angra
- Vision Divine

^ Are probably my favorites. And is Nevermore proggresive? Then that would be my absolute favorite haha. Nevermore rules.
Manntis
I wouldnt know if anyone here likes the more heavier side but, there is one new band from California, who claim to be Progressive Metal/Death Metal. They are called The Faceless. They have a singer, guitar/singer, guitar, bass, keyboards, drums. If you go to youtube and search Nick Pierce and watch his drum solos, you will be amazed =]
Fright Knight
I like Opeth and their extreme style of progressive metal. Dream theater is also good.
mikedonn71
I'm mostly not a big fan of progressive rock. However, when I do listen to it, I listen to the orthodox stuff from the late 60s to mid 70s like King Crimson, ELP, Genesis, Procol Harum, Yes, Jethro Tull, Steely Dan and whatnot.

Bands that don't get proper respect that have progressive elements in their music are numerous. Anyone ever heard of Trapeze or High Tide? Black Sabbath and Sir Lord Baltimore dished out progressive-tinged heavy metal, which rivals much more fabled stuff by bands like Rush and Asia. Really there are thousands of bands that are pigeon-holed as "heavy metal" or "progressive" that actually blend elements of both styles of music. Tull's Aqualung, I believe, is about the perfect synthesis of both styles.

In my opinion, the musical talent quotient in rock peaked in about 1973 and has been going down since then. In part, the rebellion against professionalism and corporatism in rock was natural and good. Can anyone imagine the '70s without the Stooges, the Clash, the New York Dolls, the Sex Pistols and the Ramones?

But then there was rap ....... grindcore ......... death metal ........... black metal .......... skinhead rock.
So, yes, rock peaked well before the '80s killed the remaining good of the rock genre.
David_Pardy
I'm big on progressive rock and metal, and fusion as well.

I would consider Planet X to be more of a mixture of fusion and progressive metal, rather than just prog metal.

I've been trying to find some more prog groups (I'll download them before I buy them just to make sure I actually like them). I've been getting into a lot of Tony MacAlpine's stuff recently, and some CAB.

The bands I've been listening to for a while are:

Symphony X
Dream Theater
Planet X
Spock's Beard

I liked Mars Volta for a little while, but then I realised just how annoying and random the guitar solos are, and the fact that only about 30% of Frances the Mute and De-Loused are actually music... The rest is just random noise and silence!! They have a few cool moments though, but those are few and far between and just not worth waiting for.
Nutteloos
If progressive rock is also your thing a plethora of new bands is available. The Flower Kings have to be my personal favorite.

Other artists worth mentioning:

Ayreon (more metal than rock, but whatever)
Riverside
IQ
Porcupine Tree
Shadow Gallery
Neal Morse
Transatlantic

I could go on for a while like this... Smile