FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Overclocking with BIOS

coreymanshack
Ok, I have an intel celeron D processor 775 socket with an ecs motherboard, I can't remember what type of bios it has at the moment but the next time I restart my computer I will be sure to pay attention. The processor factory clocks at 2.8GHZ, I went into bios and set it to clock up by 200MHZ frequency. The processor now clocks in at 3.15GHZ. Although I can only bring up my clock up frequency to 204MHZ safely. If I go above that to 206 windows becomes unstable and crashes quite frequently. If I go above 206 the windows loading screen will show and it will load for a few seconds and stop. If I go around 300MHZ clock-up frequency The system WILL NOT start up at all. I am running windows xp pro, have 1G of DDR2 memory. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to get my clock-up frequency closer to 300MHZ without my system not booting or becoming unstable. I was also wondering what the heck causes this? I'll tell you a lil about 205MHZ clock up, It boots into windows, I can log in, and everything goes smoothly. Then it says that windows has recovered from a serious error. Everything seems to run actually slower than when it wasn't even overclocked.

Please keep in mind that I'm an amateur overclocker. If there is something I am missing or something I need to know. Please post it! I am willing to learn. If needed I will post a pic of what the screen looks like in my BIOS that allows me to overclock the processor.
Jaan
Why would you want to overclock anyways??? 200mhz isn't all that big a deal.
I hardly know anything about clocking, but what fans/cooling system do you have?
Cheers
coreymanshack
Overclocking isn't a big deal my friend... Anymore speed I can get is better.
I have one case fan running at approx 2555RPM and an intel heatsinkfan
gh0stface
Jaan wrote:
Why would you want to overclock anyways??? 200mhz isn't all that big a deal.
I hardly know anything about clocking, but what fans/cooling system do you have?
Cheers

Overclocking is like modifying a car. You're pushing the limits on the machine.

Getting an good overclock depends on the type of motherboard, heatsink cooling you have for your CPU and what type of CPU model. Some models overclock better then others.

When you're overclocking, you want to increase the FSB by a 1-3 FSB increments. To big of a jump can fry your computer. When increasing the FSB, you also have to increase your voltage settings by a little. Increase the voltage settings by too much, you also risk burning out your cpu/motherboard.
Bones
For some good overclocking info, check out the site http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/
coreymanshack
could not enough voltage be making my computer not start on a higher setting? because i know my computer isn't overheating.... it barely gets over 72 degress farenhight
Sunny
Overclocking is just not about heating, when you overclock you are also making ram and video chips work harder at higher speed. Its normal to have system hang up when u overclock, it literally means your pc is not stable at that FSB setting. and if you take my advice don't even try it once u know its not working.

Apart from increasing FSB (Bus seed) you may also be able to change the "multiplier" to overclock, It all depends on your cpu and motherboard model. Overall I don't think its worth overclocking, you will not see any significant improvement in speed but you surely decrease the life of your CPU and are always running the risk of damging cpu, motherboard and video card etc.
gh0stface
coreymanshack wrote:
could not enough voltage be making my computer not start on a higher setting? because i know my computer isn't overheating.... it barely gets over 72 degress farenhight

Most likely. When you overclock, it requires more electricity to operate. Kind of like if you have 1 power plant that's big enough to only provide power for 1 city is trying to provide power to 10 cities. However, like I said, you don't want to increase the voltage by too much.
coreymanshack
hmm ok... ima try a few things shortly...
mOrpheuS
If you're experiencing freeze ups or random reboots or hung system, you should really step down 5-10 MHz.

My personal opinion : overclocking really isn't worth the effort or the risk involved.
The performance boost will be hardly noticeable in most cases. In all probability, you're doing it just for the sake of it ... think about it. Wink
coreymanshack
well i have noticed a slight boost.... and the only thing is that it brings the life expectancy of my computer down.... although i dont plan on keeping this same hardware for 10 years!