FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The oportunity cost of posting!

risuarez
Hi there, in Economics there is this concept, the "oportunity cost". this cost is not measured in money but in other things you stopp doing for doing something else. For example the oportunity cost of going fishing is not the monetary cost of it but the time you lose and you could use to do other things which could be more profitable than fishing.

Here we have to post for having this host. Instead of paying for a host and forget about having to post in others companies we have chose this one for free but where we have to post. The time you spend posting here is time you could be using for designing your site, for instance, if you were paying for a host.

So what I want to ask you is: Is posting here very time comsuming for you? Is it an annoyance or you just don't mind? Have ever cross to your mind that perhaps you should stop posting and start paying? Love to hear your thoughs!
illegalhost
Personally, i don't mind posting. It's just a form of entertainment, especially for loners! HAHA! Seriously, it gives you something to do online that is interactive! And hey, we got to post for a FREE host! I don't see any problem with that!! HEHE.
risuarez
illegalhost wrote:
Personally, i don't mind posting. It's just a form of entertainment, especially for loners! HAHA! Seriously, it gives you something to do online that is interactive! And hey, we got to post for a FREE host! I don't see any problem with that!! HEHE.

Great to hear that you love it my friend! congratulation! what about others?
bogger
The oppurtunity cost for me is low, seeing as I would be playing computer games otherwise, (if opp cost can be, by it's very definition Razz ).

I will just say that I can't afford it, so i use this, much easier
risuarez
For me is a very low cost too. The fact that I am a full time student and that I do NOT work makes it easier for me! But I've heard of many people who find it a time comsuming activity. You cannot post just whatever comes from your mind. Have to be very carefull that is a "quality" post.

In fact I love posting! And I think perhaps I will do it even if I wasn't getting a host.
corey
I don't mind being part of a community in order to be able to play around with my website on a good host. Its not a sacrifice.
bogger
risuarez wrote:
You cannot post just whatever comes from your mind. Have to be very carefull that is a "quality" post.

Really!?!?! Since when, sorry but this is news to me, i just post rants and then laugh inwardly as people take me seriously Cool
ahsanrao
am a new member and this is a cmplete forum where i can share anything with no difficulty... opurtunity cost for my posting .. ummm... ye i play usually game online.. adn its noit that important lol so for me it'll be zero Very Happy .

thanks all for this service and forum and ye free hosting ... Very HappyVery Happy
bogger
as you're new, i won't give out to you for your posts being unreadable, just some advice that you better fix that Smile all you have to do is type slower, or read over your words after you've typed em

P.S (OnT) this shows that everyone on the forum is just scabby, present company not included, of course Razz
hsandhu21
The way I see it is.. I'm a member on so many forums I sometimes lose count and forget where i posted last, I think that this idea is actually really good in the sense that for posting on this forum i'm actually receiving more than just replies and ideas i get a bonus Free web hosting in my mind you can really go wrong with that sure it takes a couple extra minutes out of my already busy day but then again I would have been posting at another forum anyways just to help someone out with a question or to get a reply to mine.
Mrs Lycos
Well actuallyposting is quite time consuming for me. As soon as I can afford to pay for a webhosting, I'd have more time to devote to my own web things. Perhaps later I could come round from time to time, but without the pressure of being with the right amount of points so that I don't lose my hosting space.
deStructuralized
Haha, I love this thread!

As I started signing up this was the first thing that popped into my head--the opportunity cost of posting.

I think it's fairly minimal for me though, FriHost seems to have a fairly flexible and generous points program, I type fast, and the discussions here are interesting. I consider it a sort of mental exercise.

Usually getting a few good posts in takes about 10 minutes.
haris3
Now that you mentioned this topic, i would prob. pay for a host site and not have to post. That way i can spend time designing and getting experience rather than spending that time posting so i don't go below -5. I havn't used my website in the past few months, but i had to post constantly to keep the acoount. It shouldn't be this way.

The more visits a person's website gets, the more he has to post. It should be this way.
Kenan_karic
It's my first time to be a member of a forum.
I learnt how to post an image (I spent half an hour for this) Smile
It's the perfect way for an amateur designer to create his first website without to pay money.
insanesnoopy
This is something that very often happens in economics. Someone comes across an ideal on it takes it away from the whole.

In answer to the question, this is a networking forum, and can be very profitable and time saving, unless you are using the forums just to post random pieces of information just so that you can get your free website.

I could ask that time is constant and there is always going to be things that could be done differently within that period of time that could be more profitable..

In your fishing example, what if the man fishing didn't lose the time as you put it, but rather gained the rest needed to work more efficiently when he returned to work. It is never cut and dry.

Cheers
deStructuralized
Well I think about it this way.

The max # of posts is 45 and you lose 1 point a day (so I've heard). If you post something insightful and of moderate length it gives you 4 points. All you really have to do is find a topic you think it interesting and add something interesting, compelling, and well explained to the discussion and you're set.

I got to 45 in the first day, it's not that hard to maintain things I don't think.
fbcompany
risuarez wrote:
Hi there, in Economics there is this concept, the "oportunity cost". this cost is not measured in money but in other things you stopp doing for doing something else. For example the oportunity cost of going fishing is not the monetary cost of it but the time you lose and you could use to do other things which could be more profitable than fishing.

Here we have to post for having this host. Instead of paying for a host and forget about having to post in others companies we have chose this one for free but where we have to post. The time you spend posting here is time you could be using for designing your site, for instance, if you were paying for a host.

So what I want to ask you is: Is posting here very time comsuming for you? Is it an annoyance or you just don't mind? Have ever cross to your mind that perhaps you should stop posting and start paying? Love to hear your thoughs!

You post and you get hosting. Where as the best alternative to posting is sitting on my ass on not doing anything. So there isnt really an associated oppurtunity cost for me.
HoboBarticus
THe oppurtunity cost is incredibly low. What you get far out weighs what it takes in my eyes.
fadirocks
it's all fun Very Happy

I lost number of posts I've done on the internet, it's more than average but I've seen users with 10,000 posts on some forums dang! that's many!
insanesnoopy
Let me add something to consider here....

What is the measurement of wealth....in other words what best defines our time.

There was a time when wealth was defined by total weight and rarity. Then it was land....and kings would start wars....then capitol was the new definition of wealth....and we started to spend our time looking for more capital and ways to obtain it.....enter money.

Now though wealth can be defined as specialized knowledge....with the internet giving us a fair playing feild ...the people with the best specialized knowledge with the opportunity to act on it. They turn out to be the wealthiest people.

Forums offer a playground in which to obtain and trade specialized knowledge, information, and services. In this way, if used correctly, this can be the most effective way to use your time.

Cheers
deStructuralized
The problem with forums is you don't get specialized knowledge...often the topics discussed are broad in focus and ranged in theme.

You usually get an array of general knowledge, which isn't necessarily bad, but harder to use to your advantage.
insanesnoopy
I would suggest that that is more because of the people using them. A request for specialized knowledge is usually met. For instance ?I do not know the first thing of HTML (learning slowly) but when I asked I got a wealth of information. If was up to me to sort through it and use what I could.

I agree that the subjects tend to be generalized but that is because forums are primarily used by people seeking contact. You'll notice that most of the forum topics are started by new members. As older members we need to be more forth coming about the type of knowledge that we need.

I stated that when I joined that I had some very specific knowledge of marketing as it relates to small businesses. As well as a lot of experience....but I haven't been asked either.

But through good networking and strong commiment....I am sure that I will find a very good use within this forum. It needs to take the next level though......I do agree. Most people are not thinking about what they need when they start typing.
k3hrn
insanesnoopy wrote:

I agree that the subjects tend to be generalized but that is because forums are primarily used by people seeking contact.

I think a number of posts/topics are started simply to create points...since one of the major driving forces is to gather points to get free hosting.

insanesnoopy wrote:

I stated that when I joined that I had some very specific knowledge of marketing as it relates to small businesses. As well as a lot of experience....but I haven't been asked either.

Perhaps folks don't know you have that experience...is there a topic or area where someone would know to look for discussions about marketing for small business?
eagle1
The opportunity cost theory really doesn't apply to me. I have plenty of free time and the idea of a free host is great. The concept of opportunity cost is important because it's a measure of everything you sacrifice to attain a given goal. In my case I am not really giving up anything.
bangala
Interesting thread Smile
To calculate the oppurtunity cost, however, you need to measure it with respect to what you are "not doing" because of the time spent in posting here. So, if you are doing a business that generates cash and you are spending your cash-generating time here, then you're propably losing. If you were also owning a commercial web site and you are spending your time here when you are supposed to invest your time in your site to increase traffic and improve revenues, then you might be losing as well. You might be losing as well if you are spending a valuable time here instead of spending it with your family . However, if you are spending your time instead in watching TV and playing online games, then you might be gaining.
TrueFact
POsting for hosting well... as cost for me it costs almost nothing but time. and time is money... and this for me in this case is really expensive as i have to maintain my studies at the faculty and maintain my administration and posting on my forum at my site.
k3hrn
TrueFact wrote:
POsting for hosting well... as cost for me it costs almost nothing but time. and time is money

That's a good point...and if you charged for your time, then your opportunity costs would be higher than someone who uses "free time".

I know an electrician who refuses to pickup small parts/tools that he drops when working on ladders. He calculated that the cost of his time to stop working and pick up things exceeds what he can earn by simply working.

Another exaple might be the folks that drive long distances to buy cheaper gas....one really needs to calculate all the costs involved to determine whether or not an extra 10 miles of driving can be justified by the costs of travel.
Meggsy
Yeah, opportunity costs apply to all different areas of life, everything from deciding between work and going out on a friday to wearing a smelly shirt because you can't be bothered to wash (might cost you a future relationship Razz)
migrodrigues
Hi,
In fact, opportunity costs ARE accounted for in monetary terms. Otherwise, they wouldn't be comparable... The thing is that they are often very hard to measure and evaluate.
In my case, I suppose they are high, since I work full-time as a researcher and I have to spend time in posting here.
Additionally, I find these forums quite specific and technical, mostly related to technology issues in the domain of webhosting techniques and solutions. Personaly, I am not an expert in these isues, which makes it very hard to write 5 posts in orther to get free hosting...
Anyway, I'll kep trying.
Best regards
k3hrn
migrodrigues wrote:

In my case, I suppose they are high, since I work full-time as a researcher and I have to spend time in posting here.
Additionally, I find these forums quite specific and technical, mostly related to technology issues in the domain of webhosting techniques and solutions. Personaly, I am not an expert in these isues, which makes it very hard to write 5 posts in orther to get free hosting...

Just an aside, but would you participate in such a forum if the "reward" was not free hosting? Perhaps we need to calculate the "costs" based on not only the free hosting, but also the value of information we receive from the posts of others.
kelebrity
I agree - my thoughts are also that forums offer a playground in which to obtain and trade specialized knowledge, information, and services. In this way, if used correctly, this can be the most effective way to use your time.
jbruced
IMHO, we can learn from others, we get to pick the forums we want, and in my case, it's relaxing entertainment.

Good deal for me at this time, I'm not running a fortune 500 company, otherwise I'd pay to have someone else to maintain and host a web site.

Depends what else you got goin' on.

Bruce
Montressor
jbruced wrote:

Good deal for me at this time, I'm not running a fortune 500 company, otherwise I'd pay to have someone else to maintain and host a web site.

personally if I were running a Fortune 500 company, I'd take the settlement package and leave. Then I'd spend all day enjoying Poe, reading some Milton, keeping up on current events, listening to classical music, and posting what I would be doing if I were still in control of that Fortune 500 company. Perhaps after a while I'd join another Fortune 500 and take another settlement package...