FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Enhanced Posting/Spelling rules

LukeakaDanish
Bondings wrote:
To improve the general quality, respectability and readibility of the Frihost community forums, we decided to implement a few new rules and guidelines specific to the posting, spelling and layout of your posts. This is not meant to make your posting experience harder, but simply to make the forums a better place.

4. Read your posts again before posting them to find obvious spelling mistakes.
5. Do not reply to a thread if you have nothing useful to say.
10. Instead of excusing yourself for your English at the end of every post, rather put your efforts in correcting your mistakes. And remember, everyone makes mistakes, but not everyone is trying to correct them.

Hello Frihosters!

A couple of months ago Bondings did something which I thought would bring a change for the better to these forums. In fact, I didnt just think it would bring change, I thought it would REVOLUTIONIZE the forums.

Now, a couple of months later, I still havent felt the "rules" change anything even ever so slightly.

What really annoys me are the entirely unreadable posts. The posts which would have been just as easy to read had they been translated by google or babelfish. In fact, they would have been just as easy to understand if the author had left them in Russian, or whatever language they came from...

That shows lack of care, or lack of "being a member who might do something good for the forums".

If a person CANT speak english to save his/her life, and his/her language is not represented by a language forum, whats the point of even starting an account? - MODS: SAY SORRY and then BAN THEM! - frihost CANT use them, as all their posts will be impossible to understand.

If a person CANT BE ASKED to speak propper english, then BAN THEM! I spend time posting posts in propper english, though danish is my first language - I KNOW its not impossible to write in somewhat decent english although your foreign.

Also: Point five is one of the most widely broken rules on the forum. Why shouldnt it be WAY more strictly enforced? I can almost guarantee you there will be atleast one of those pointless replies to this topic within the first 1-2 days, and I BEG you MODS to start warning people for it - otherwise frihost will never change for the better.

Hope you enjoyed the lecture Wink
-SonyGamer
I'm pretty good in the field of grammar/spelling, so this probably won't be a problem for me, lol. But, since many of the users here might not know English much, and may make a mistake in there post that they don't even know is wrong. So why not just implement a spell check into there Frihost forums? It would be alot easier that way.

Since again, the users wouldn't have a excuse now for spelling something wrong, since there would be a spell check. And it would also again be fair to the users that aren't from America or England, and don't know English much. That's just my thought on this.

I hope this works out.
sky217
Must... resist... pointing out the OP's spelling and grammar mistakes. Smile

I just joined and read that rule. I was thinking, "wow, not only is he insisting on English, but insisting on proper English. That's my kind of forum. Smile" My brother-in-law is teaching a basic English course at a college in Pennsylvania. To get a feel for everyone's abilities, he had them all write an essay. He said that half of them wrote like they were chatting on an instant messenger or in an online video game. The problem is that that's the only thing people read these days. I even catch myself misspelling words I never used to - like "to" vs "too". I guess Mom was right when she said those video games will make me dumber. Embarassed
LukeakaDanish
sky217 wrote:
Must... resist... pointing out the OP's spelling and grammar mistakes. Smile

I just joined and read that rule. I was thinking, "wow, not only is he insisting on English, but insisting on proper English. That's my kind of forum. Smile" My brother-in-law is teaching a basic English course at a college in Pennsylvania. To get a feel for everyone's abilities, he had them all write an essay. He said that half of them wrote like they were chatting on an instant messenger or in an online video game. The problem is that that's the only thing people read these days. I even catch myself misspelling words I never used to - like "to" vs "too". I guess Mom was right when she said those video games will make me dumber. Embarassed

I know that I misspell some words - as I said, english is NOT my first language, and I'm therefor far from perfect in it.

However thats not important. The important thing is that I put an effort into making my posts understandable for you - I dont just translate my post from danish to english, word-for-word, I really think about how to do it propperly.

Also: Games dont actually make you spell worse - speeking "1337" wont make you spell "hello" as "h3ll0"in RL (real-life)...nobody is that stupid Wink

-SonyGamer wrote:
I'm pretty good in the field of grammar/spelling, so this probably won't be a problem for me, lol. But, since many of the users here might not know English much, and may make a mistake in there post that they don't even know is wrong. So why not just implement a spell check into there Frihost forums? It would be alot easier that way.

Since again, the users wouldn't have a excuse now for spelling something wrong, since there would be a spell check. And it would also again be fair to the users that aren't from America or England, and don't know English much. That's just my thought on this.

I hope this works out.

In some ways I support a spellcheck - but in most ways i hate it.

problems:

• If you can't spell (I guess thats me Wink), the spell check will prvent you from posting what you want.
  • Spelling isnt REALLY whats important - formulating gramatically understandable english phrases is - I dont care whether its correct, as long as i understand it.
  • It WILL put a strain on the system.
  • It will disencourage foreign users, who cant spell in english - please note that im fine with them - as long as they dont post without trying hard to make their posts "sencible"

PS: Sry for the double posts - i didnt see the top reply
Slick
i dont think a automated spell checker would improve the forum, asit's been mentioned it would slow down the forum and also with the vast amount of foriegn users with week english skills may have words changed to something they didnt mean and that could not only make the post mis-interprited but could in some case make something offensive to someone... and the original poster wouldnt understand why...

perhaps a spell check button so the poster has a choice...
Donutey
Well Firefox 2 has a pretty slick built in spell checker. Hopefully it will improve spelling all over the net. (Though I doubt it... )