FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fact or fiction?

This fact or fiction?
Fact
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
Fiction
66%
 66%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 12

trevtrev
I have heard rumors that when you shave something, it grows back thicker and worse...

is this true?!
Rico
Ask anyone that’s ever shaved something off
gh0stface
The answer is no. It does not grow back thicker and worse.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hair-removal/AN00638
http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/hairgrow.asp
HoboPelican
Nothing to add to ghostface's post except complete agreement.

Old wives tale.
JoeFriday
ditto.. altho I'd suggest that you don't start shaving your back
4ndY
try it yourself, shave one arm and compare in a month, nothing beats an experiment
nathanuk
Quote:
try it yourself, shave one arm and compare in a month, nothing beats an experiment

correction... Nothing beats an expirement that could make you look stupid Very Happy
JoeFriday
even better.. shave off one eyebrow!
ahaug
How can you say this. Anybody that has ever shaved anything would know that IT DOES grow back thicker, but not neccasarily longer. We actually did an experiement in High School where we shaved our right arm and weighed the hair, then let it grow back for one month and re-shaved/weighed, then waited one more month and re-shaved/weighed again. Each time, the weight increased suggesting that it does grow back thicker.
Vanilla
ahaug wrote:
How can you say this. Anybody that has ever shaved anything would know that IT DOES grow back thicker, but not neccasarily longer. We actually did an experiement in High School where we shaved our right arm and weighed the hair, then let it grow back for one month and re-shaved/weighed, then waited one more month and re-shaved/weighed again. Each time, the weight increased suggesting that it does grow back thicker.

Well, all I can tell is my experience. I do shave my legs and no, it doesn't grow back thicker. You have my word. And it's a really vain woman's word.
HoboPelican
ahaug wrote:

What does weight have to do with it? Why didnt you just mesure the diameters directly? Micrometers are easliy obtained and could give you a real number to work with.

I think youll find that it looks darker only because you have a cut end instead of a tapered end to your hairs. Any other change in thickness, amount, color, etc is going to happen anyway, due to your changing homone levels.
Ester
I read somewhere, that hair does not grow back thicker when it has been shaved. It looks thicker because the end is blunt making it look darker.