FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Need software similar to Photoshop but free

mike_phi
Hi there I have never really used photoshop but the time has come and I need a software package wich can edit ".psd" files so if anyone knows of a package which is free and has this ability please reply.

Or alternatively even if it canr handle the photoshop format then any editor which I could use to write text into for a web site.

cheers Mic
S3nd K3ys
mike_phi wrote:
Hi there I have never really used photoshop but the time has come and I need a software package wich can edit ".psd" files so if anyone knows of a package which is free and has this ability please reply.

Or alternatively even if it canr handle the photoshop format then any editor which I could use to write text into for a web site.

cheers Mic

Gimp (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

It's the open source equivelant of Photoshop.

:edit:

I said equivelant, I meant superior. IMNSHO, Gimp is better than Photoshop, and I've used both extensively. Wink
Animal
Try GIMPshop - it's a version of the free, open-source GIMP imaging software modified to look and perform like Photoshop.
surdy
If you are looking for a free PhotoShop equivalent there is none better than GIMP [:d].

I have used it and i love it [:d]
ocalhoun
Since nobody else said so, I think GIMP can even read and write .psd files, but I'm not sure about that...
*checks*
Indeed it can.
Get it here: http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html (if you have windows)
Now let's see if photoshop can work with gimp's .xcf files (not likely)
theLOGANhole
Ya, GIMP is great I use it all the time...You'll really see that sometimes you don't need to spend the money. The Open Source Community can do the same or better for programs.
mike_phi
I downloaded it and played around a bit and wow what a package its really great to work with, just one question I had a look and it seems that the only manual available is an online version does anyone know if there is a download somewhere with a offline version of the manual.

cheers and thanks for the help

Mic
Indyan
GIMP is what you are looking for.
Also try Paint.net. But its more than an enhanced PAINT than a PS replacement.
dude_xyx
mmmm I havent used this one yet. Gonna try now i search for a good alternative for photoshop but couldnt ve found yet.
thatsashok
S3nd K3ys wrote:
mike_phi wrote:

cheers Mic

I said equivelant, I meant superior. IMNSHO, Gimp is better than Photoshop, and I've used both extensively. Wink

thats true I also tried. Thats very gud sw.
sceptileex
gimpshop makes a futile attempt to look like photoshop but in truth dosent look like it at all Very Happy Gimp still lacks some of the filters but for everyday work its more than enough./
neosree
In free photo editors, I also support GIMPShop. For small budget, go for Ulead Photo Express. It worth the money you pay for.
Aimewitue
S3nd K3ys wrote:
mike_phi wrote:

cheers Mic

i don't agree with you,photoshop is not inferior than the gimp
the program has more advanced feature than the gimp!
jayzee
Gimp (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is the best .
Cov3r70ps
Yes, GIMP is the best (why couldn't someone have told me this 5 years ago, I only learned about 1 year ago Sad ) at least for free software. I would have to say that Photoshop is better, but really the power of photoshop isn't necisary unless you are a very serious graphics editor.
Chrisjs
mike_phi wrote:
anyone know if there is a download somewhere with a offline version of the manual.

cheers and thanks for the help

Mic

Yup, took a minute to find, but if you can handle a 13 meg file, which is 558 pages, you can get the manual from http://docs.gimp.org/en.pdf

Or you can view all the downloads from http://docs.gimp.org/download.html Smile.

Hope it helps.
saurabh.sauron
GIMP rules. it can work with psd files and is a gud alternative. u can also use imagemagick.
ammonkc
GIMPshop is definately your best bet. it uses the GIMP but has a UI that mimics photoshop. and its pretty stable. try it out.
bassgs_17
I agree with the aforementioned reccomendations regarding The GIMP; it is a fine alternative to Photo$hop. And Because it is free and open source, it really should make you ask yourself why you would consider anything else. The gimp draws strength from its large user base and open-sorce development team, leading to some awesome extensions. GIMPshop was mentioned on TechTV back in the day; I've always liked anything Leo reccomends.

-Aquastrike
Jaan
What they said - GIMP! But I still prefer Photoshop CS2 & After Effects.
redice
I use GIMP.
But it not implement all the feature that photoshop did.
Nitro15
I've tried GIMP, and I don't think it even compares to Photoshop. Though if you're looking for a free alternative, go for it. Just don't expect the quality of the real thing.
johnsabotta
If you want something that simulates actual painting tools like Painter, there is an excellent PC painting program called Dogwaffle

http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/free/

It actually works better and does more than Painter or Alias Sketch
{name here}
GIMP is the best free application for editing images pretty much. You should not use GIMPShop because GIMPShop seems to use dated GTK versions making it appear quite buggy(unless I upgrade to 2.8 it crashes when I draw lines), and its only serious difference is the big grey window in the background behind the main windows - meaning you just wasted downloading more than you really need to unless you are really in a crunch with taskbar space you should not really need it.