FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

T_T "Certified" Freelance Translator?

Aiz
Well here's the story.

I'm natively Chinese, and I'm currently a Japanese Major undergrad (with Korean and Computer Science minors). I was thinking of going into the translating business after graduation. So I thought, why not try to get started now? You know, try to build a foundation for what is to come and so forth.

The problem is >.> it's harder than I thought. I have confidence in my Chinese, and I've done translating stuff in the past, but mostly just as a hobby or a favor to a friend, with a few formal legal documents on the side. But to be a translator, especially a freelance one, you need credentials for clients to actually be interested in you ;_; Which I don't have. I don't even have a degree yet *sobs* (uni sophmore).

And then there's the thing with "certified" I looked it up on the web hoping to find some form of exam to get certified. But what I found was private organizations that charge a ridiculous (at least to a college student it is) amount to become a member FIRST then possibly give you a test -_- booo.

I tried to list my profile in a few sites that I could find for free, but I'm really not expecting much *sighs* since I don't have those papers to show that I'm competent and I don't have full-time translating experience >.>

Well, so, I was wondering how many of you are in the translating industry and if any of you could offer a tip or two to this frustrated newcomer.

Thanks a bunch in advance

*runs off to sulk in her corner*