FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Calendar Reform

bluedragon
Welcome to the Gregorian year 2006.

On our vast Earth, the Gregorian calendar has become the standard calendar. But its inaccuracy makes me personally consider other options, such as the 13-moon calendar which uses the Moon's approximate 13 revolutions around the Earth in one revolution of the Earth around the Sun.

The Gregorian calendar, instituted in 1583 by Pope Gregory XIII of the Roman Catholic Church, uses 12 months of uneven days and illogical names, such as Sept(7)ember, the 9th month. Oct(8)ober, month 10. Nov(9)ember, month 11. Dec(10)ember, the 12th month. March, named after the Roman god of war, Mars. Obviously a calendar that makes little sense.

Dolphins and turtles, among many other animals use calendars based on the moon. A nature-based calendar versus a religiously-based one. Even so, the Catholic Church has admitted that the Gregorian calendar is highly innaccurate. Also, the 13 moon calendar is a bit more even. 13 moons of 28 days each equals 364 days. The offset day would be up for grabs, as a sort of leap day in every year or a leap week every five years.

So should we change our off-calendar? Who cares about the moon anyway? Well, many of us would not like to because we all have a sort of conservative, lazy thinking. It would take a great movement to try to change the worldwide-used calendar. Some are in motion. There's the Mayan Dreamspell/13-moon movement and also the New Earth Calendar.

What do you think about calendar reform to a more natural way?
s43ros
sure it would be great to use a calendar which is more accurate than ours, bt all of the things we would have to change far outways more accuracy. We still make up for the extra quarter day with leap year. Changing the calendar, all appointments would be changed, all meetings rescheduled, and events screwed up.
ocalhoun
It won't happen by public interest, that would be impossible, and would only mess things up worse as some adopted it and some did not.
The only thing that could change something like that would be an all-encompasing authoritative government, such as Rome. (Which would explain why the callendar was last changed under the government of Rome.)
elincinerador
what for?? what do we gain by changing the calendar?? it's fine the way it's now. and if the moon theory gives 364 days... wouldn't it make it more inacurate? it is fine the way it is. yes, there is a contradiction in september, october, november and december.. but i never heard of anyone who got confused by that. what i agree that can be argued is the 28 (29), 30 and 31 days per month system... it's not that hard to understand it, but it is the greatest weakness i find, weaknes that is not upseting at all.. after some years of living you get used to it. i think that the theory of changing the calendar is a waste of time, useless and trying to solve an already solved problem. there are more important things to take care for, and changing the calendar will mean a total loss of time (yes, it will take very long to change the way time is organized, that can't be argued). that's why i disagree with your point of view.
Lennon
Our gregorian calendar is based as follows:

Roman Calendar: 10 months

March - after Mars
April
May
June
July - declared by Julius Caesar Himself
August - declared by Caesar Augustus Himslef
September - month number 7
October - month number 8
November- month number 9
December - month number 10

The months of January and February were added later to the Gregorian Calendar.

The days of the week;
Sunday after the sun
Thursday after Thor, the viking God of lightning
Saturday - after Saturn

Some calendars like the Islamic calendar, the chinese calendar etc all vary considerably. It will be almost impossible to standardise time to decimal 10 format. It would take billions of euro's to complete and take a few generations to adapt to it.

If I find out anything else I will repost, but I haven't time to research it all.

I would like a 28-day month, 13 in total per year, with a 29 day in December. So there is four weeks even in a month, the moon period lineates with months and so on.
Soulfire
Is it that imperitive? And how is the calendar religious - does that even matter? There are so many things based on our calendar (school, for instance) that it doesn't make sense to change it.

Take, for instance, when the U.S. tried to switch to metrics. Total and complete failure. This calendar (much like the customary measurement system we have) is SO ingrained into our society, that changes like these would most likely go nowhere.
Winterborne
I wouldn't mind it at all, especially the 13-moon calender
McMuffin
This is probably a very short reply, but hey, i have nothing more to say than this link =D

http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/calendar/
Calender thingies ^^
bluedragon
elincinerador wrote:
what for?? what do we gain by changing the calendar?? it's fine the way it's now. and if the moon theory gives 364 days... wouldn't it make it more inacurate? it is fine the way it is. yes, there is a contradiction in september, october, november and december.. but i never heard of anyone who got confused by that. what i agree that can be argued is the 28 (29), 30 and 31 days per month system... it's not that hard to understand it, but it is the greatest weakness i find, weaknes that is not upseting at all.. after some years of living you get used to it. i think that the theory of changing the calendar is a waste of time, useless and trying to solve an already solved problem. there are more important things to take care for, and changing the calendar will mean a total loss of time (yes, it will take very long to change the way time is organized, that can't be argued). that's why i disagree with your point of view.

well the main issue with calendrics is that it's an organization of time. our culture and organization of time has been mandated by the Roman Catholic ways. events like Christmas and Easter could stiill be maintained, since after all they're near the solstices (also a reflection of time and culture, the Roman Catholics showing their pagan ways and all). unless you'd like to have Christmas around the time Jesus was REALLY born .. which would mean no more White Christmas.

28 (days in one month x 13 moons) is an interesting number when you compare it to the days between women's menstruation cycles. also, the 260 day calendar that the classic mayans used is interesting as the human gestation period (9 moonths) and 3x260 is one martian year. which culture would you trust for calendrics? the roman catholics or the mayans? a fallen culture or a destroyed culture? i just trust the mayans because they had their heads up in the sky. they had it down with natural time.

but how much of today's culture would you give up for nature? we all let technology control our time. mechanized time versus natural time. our culture isn't very complimentary to nature, and it isn't very stable either. the big question here really is do you have a good sense of time and nature?
UHF123
The best year was AD46 known as the year of confusion - it was 445 days long. Julius Caesar was trying to get the year back to a standard number of days and the last year was messed around so that subsequent years could be 365.24 days long:

http://personal.ecu.edu/mccartyr/clash.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_calendar
zenkirevolutions
I loved Arguelles argument...

Scientificly our orbit around the sun is an ecliptic,

The roman calendar is actually based off superstition not science,

it was inspired by an older older calendric, a mix of babylonia time keeping and egyptian hierarchiecs, Jose Argulles (author of the Dreamspell Calendar), said these ancient religious hierarchies divided a circle into 12 sections, which is about dividing time and space, seperating them....

Which Jose claims as evil and enslaving us into the great "illusion",
which is interesting, I thought of this when I studied pagan harvest calendars before I came across Jose's work on the Mayan calendar.

I wrote a short story called The Curse of Gregorian...
it went something like this... (i dont have the story anymore)

In the darkest time of year, under the influence of the american sacrement, and the roar of the registers screaming louder than the voice of the messiah, we dance as satanist into a new year.....

Jose says Time is a measure of the mind, not of space, which is sorta... well it kinda makes sense, takes an open mind to think so deep into the Alchemy of Time, there are many calendars though, make your own, study the moons position each month note the tallymark when the moon returns to the same spot, its not always full in the same spot, so the full moon is in a diff spot, its quite an involved art to study the cosmos, a worthwhile mind opening pursuit nontheless...

I was worried about the calendar for awhile, I study hermetics, the astrology, which is sorta a calendar, and the I Ching and Tzolkin, which go beyond calendars.... They are ancient Life oracle matrixes, and Light matrixes which modern biologist are relating to the same patterns of the DNA codons... 64 kua of the I Ching, and 64 codons of the DNA, sounds bizzare, if you have any familiar knowlege with Tzolkin, and I Ching you would have the same excitement I do for what these ancient systems will do to benefit modern society,

I Ching is a Taoist Oracle of Change

Tzolkin is a Mayan 260 day harmonic module,
a galactic tool to recieve inspiration and spiritual fulfillment
from the central source sun.

Calendar... isn't really scientific, more or less mathematic... well I mean
Calendar means an account keeper, it's a tool to keep track of pay checks and work scheldules,

my beaf... I wish the new year was a warmer time, yes our calendar is entirely based off of supersition,

There's alot out there..
I made my own harvest calendar from the I CHing Pattern, in meditations
I tell myself, that true time, the real time, is relative to the eye of the beholder, the real clock is biological, its our breath, our heart, our soul carrier, and its relation to the whole system...

I don't think the calendar reform will work...
though I think it will inspire a better calendar that the future will work
Jose's even has glitches. for one, he makes 12 sound like an evil number
no numbers are evil.

I like his equation of time...

Time Factored by Energy Equals Art.

My mentor, teacher, friend, William Donnely, PhD actually was friends with Jose in College in Chicago, he was working on a book called Mandalas back then. His inspiration, was he learned that ancient Mexico knew about Yin and Yang too...

I recomend reading the daily Tzolkin whenever you feel comftorable to, I beilieve its a positive metaphysical time keeper, it shows each day is original, and like the I Ching it promotes free will, through a balance of a natural greater pattern, it promotes and shows ways to integrate your mind with the... "higher power", which isnt a bad thing...

The sage Lao Tzu wrote in the Tao Teh Ching

If the people of the world only knew to root their life as deep into the divine as possible, they'd realize all their problems with life would... fall away....

further reading.

The I Ching : The Book of Changes
The Tao Teh Ching : by Lao Tzu
The Mayan Factor by Jose Argulles

http://www.mayanmajix.com/
http://lawoftime.org
http://www.galactichardwarestore.com/
eggg
A big problem with the dreamspell calendar is that its "tzolkin" is not in alignment with the tzolkin still in use among the Maya. It also requires a leap year, and its 13 "moons" are not actually aligned with the phases of the moon. If I were going to harmonize the calendar with natural events, I would take three natural events into account:

The solstices and equinoxes (to determine the beginning of a year)
The new moon (to determine the beginning of a month)
The sunrise (to determine the beginning of a day)

Of course, a calendar based on such things could vary based on a person's geographical location, which isn't so bad if you're a farmer, but not so good if you're a business person or traveling entertainer who flits from one side of a country to the other. For those modern purposes, I think the common Gregorian calendar is sufficient.
Pikokola
I think.. It'll be hard to change it, you know the Gregorian Calendar is used world widely.

If you want's to change it... It'll be like you wants to change the English that we usualy use to talking in this forum with Arabic or maybe Malay Razz