FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

19" LCD

diduknowthat
Hey guys, I MIGHT, might, be able to get an LCD monitor for my birthday. It will be used for gaming, thought not heavy gaming. I'm looking into the 19" range. My budget is $200, give or take a little if it's really worth it. Any suggestions for good budget LCD's? Thanks
gh0stface
I think Samsung and Viewsonic are your best bet. If you kind find good deals, they tend to range from 150-250 dollars.

For gaming, you want to make sure you get an LCD with a response time of 8ms or lower to prevent ghosting.
diduknowthat
I was actually looking at this one..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824179018

The contrast ratio looks pretty nice at 700:1, better than the few others i saw in the 190 range at 500:1. Everything on that monitor looks pretty nice, but it only has analog input, would that matter much?
Jaan
That's quite cheap. I don't reckon you'd be able to get a good monitor with that. A decent one is about $450. I would try government surplus/warehouses. You can get VERY cheap computers/monitors.
gh0stface
diduknowthat wrote:
I was actually looking at this one..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824179018

The contrast ratio looks pretty nice at 700:1, better than the few others i saw in the 190 range at 500:1. Everything on that monitor looks pretty nice, but it only has analog input, would that matter much?

I don't have any experience with Hyundai monitors so I can't really say much about that.

I think the difference between analog and DVI input can be summed up as Essentially, its because the signal is both transmitted and displayed in digital, no conversions necessary between your video card and what you see. This helps to cut down on any possible distortions in the picture quality.

A fairly good read on analog vs DVI: http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/4520-3174_7-5136369.html?part=ecoustics-cnet

Jaan wrote:
That's quite cheap. I don't reckon you'd be able to get a good monitor with that. A decent one is about $450. I would try government surplus/warehouses. You can get VERY cheap computers/monitors.

What are you smoking and where are you getting those prices from? The past couple of years, the price of LCD monitors have dropped gratuitously. You can buy a good LCD 17" monitor for around 150 US dollars.
DecayClan
...With 200$ better get a 17' and not a 19'. It will be A LOT BETTER. And why you need 19' anyway? They are too big -for me-. I am completely satisfaied with my 17' Flatron L1717s(which i bought 2 years ago). Get 17', you will find an 17' tft, a lot more powerfull with 200$.If you want a GOOD 19' you need to spend at least 300-400$...
kiranaghor
Hey before buying take a look at Viewsonic wide screen range. they are really tempting. And viewsonic is a good brand. Also they have good contrast ratio and low ghosting effects.
diduknowthat
DecayClan wrote:
...With 200$ better get a 17' and not a 19'. It will be A LOT BETTER. And why you need 19' anyway? They are too big -for me-. I am completely satisfaied with my 17' Flatron L1717s(which i bought 2 years ago). Get 17', you will find an 17' tft, a lot more powerfull with 200$.If you want a GOOD 19' you need to spend at least 300-400$...

I can actually get a half decent 19" wide for 200. Acer 19" wide screen with 5ms response. I want a 19" cause I loved how it felt to use it at my friends house, it dwarfs my 17" CRT.
psycosquirrel
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824005076

LG makes most of the TFT panels for other brands, so I can say this LCD is probably going to be much better than the one you chose. It's cheaper with the free shipping too.

You can't get a great LCD for $200, but you can get decent ones. If you can, I would go to CostCo and exploit their 5 year return policy; buy the LCD, wait a few years, then return it and get a better one with some money out of your pocket and the money from the return. They are perfectly happy to refund you, that is what the return policy is for.
diduknowthat
Hey guys, minor changes in plan..

1) Budget dropped to about $180
2) I'm gonna go with 19" normal instead of wide.

I was looking at this monitor..how is it?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2418924&Tab=0&NoMapp=0

Any other suggestions? Remember, it absolutely HAS to be under $200 including shipping/handeling, preferably under $180. Thanks!
psycosquirrel
Hanns-G is a very low-end LCD manufacturer. Like I said, you can't get a good LCD for your price range. TD rebates suck too, they are almost as bad as Micro Center's. You probably will not end up getting the rebate, and that LCD will end up costing you more than you wanted to spend.

Pay a bit of your own money and just get a good LCD, you will not regret it.
ForceRun
Yea, spend a little more and invest in a better LCD, it does make a world of a differnce from the cheap LCD to a nicer one.
diduknowthat
Hey, I know what you mean, but I REALLY needed a monitor badly (my old one broke, and i was using some 10 year old CRT), i just couldn't wait and save up a bit of money. But I love the Hanns-G one, got it for $99! Haven't found any dead pixels yet and it looks brilliant. Thanks for all the input here!
nilsmo
I have a Samsung SyncMaster 920N, from Newegg. It works great, and I would highly recommend it.
bigdbag
search for the HP L1706 at newegg.com. I got 3 19 in. panels for 130 each. Great deal, great screen. None of the 3 panels I got had any dead pixels. Wonderful stuff.
psycosquirrel
$99 LCDs at Office Max: http://www.officemaxperks.com/images/mailer/MaxPerk_A-D.PDF

Get them while they last. The screen is a 17" Samsung Syncmaster, which is a good panel.
diduknowthat
Thanks for the suggestion guys. But my screen arrived already. No dead pixels, $99 for 19", i absolutely love it.
gh0stface
He's come to a decsions. So locked. Smile