FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My New Layout

NjRocket
Hey guys, can i get some comments on my frontpage? Ive been working on it, and i'm open to any suggestions. So heres the url to look at, www.sportschatter.frih.net/test.html . I will be placing the table later with the rankings, so lets hear some comments ok.

PS Remember, all links pointing towards yahoo sports, will be replaced with articles from sports chatter, just setting everything up. And yes i know the links on the left point to dynamicguide and such, once again, im waiting to set the layout up before changes are made.
GB
I have a couple of comments that I think could be helpful.

First, where is the content? Oh, its hiding behind all the clutter (advertisements). There are far too many advertisements on this page that not too many people are going to care about or click on. At least most of them are text links so they don't become as obtrusive as flash animations.

Second, it appears that your banner is a bit streched making the athletes appear to be short and fat. Maybe it isn't but at first glance, that's what it looked like.

Third: Uniqueness. What separates your page from sports.yahoo.com? It appears they are practically the same. When you postulate questions like "should he hold the record if he beats Roger Maris?" that is a great opportunity to link to a forum topic about that. Basically, I want to see something different here, not just links to sports stories that others write. What do you have to say about it all?

I hope this helps and good luck with your site.
NjRocket
GB wrote:
I have a couple of comments that I think could be helpful.

First, where is the content? Oh, its hiding behind all the clutter (advertisements). There are far too many advertisements on this page that not too many people are going to care about or click on. At least most of them are text links so they don't become as obtrusive as flash animations.

I agree with you, the content is going to be on its way, but ill just say it, what im putting on my site, only like 1 other site has it. Takes time to do, so its unique and it will attract visitors.
GB wrote:
Second, it appears that your banner is a bit streched making the athletes appear to be short and fat. Maybe it isn't but at first glance, that's what it looked like.

Yea i made it kindve shorter, but im going to bring it back to its original size, not sure why i changed it.
GB wrote:
Third: Uniqueness. What separates your page from sports.yahoo.com? It appears they are practically the same. When you postulate questions like "should he hold the record if he beats Roger Maris?" that is a great opportunity to link to a forum topic about that. Basically, I want to see something different here, not just links to sports stories that others write. What do you have to say about it all?

I agree with that, and it sounds like a good idea. Maybe have a thread that is divoted to the question of the week or something like that to discuss. I'm going to have very little stories, but yes some will be there.

If anyone else has another other suggestions, it would be appreciated.
sprinqles
You have to edit the banner a little. It doesn't have that fluidity within the graphics. And a little tweaking for your tables and contents so they fit perfectly. I love the menu btw. Smile
simplyw00x
The menu looks like it was stolen from /. (was it?), and the layout is fundamentally brken in firefox. Otherwise, it's pretty good apart from the banner, which is a little incongruous.
NjRocket
simplyw00x wrote:
The menu looks like it was stolen from /. (was it?), and the layout is fundamentally brken in firefox. Otherwise, it's pretty good apart from the banner, which is a little incongruous.

Nope its not stolen, its a script from dynamic guide, if you wanted the link i could get it to you. Its free to use the script as long as you leave some text towards them in the html script. If you would like, you can view source and check it out, its towards the top im pretty sure.

I'm assuming you mean the menu on the left right? Like navigation and such? Its from dynamic guide the script that is on my site to give credit is as followed.
Dynamic Guide wrote:
* Slashdot Menu script- By DimX
* Submitted to Dynamic Drive DHTML code library: http://www.dynamicdrive.com
* Visit Dynamic Drive at http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for full source code

As you can see, its called slashdot menu, not sure why you thought it was stolen. (looks too nice or? lol
NjRocket
simplyw00x wrote:

Can you take a screenshot or something and show me the picture of your layout please? I'm curious to see how it looks, and how its "broken" on your browser. Thanks
simplyw00x
http://slashdot.org/

Go there and look at the menus. That's why it's calledthe slashdot menu and that's why I asked if you stole it frm /. (slashdot). If you didn't however, I apologise.
NjRocket
simplyw00x wrote:

Go there and look at the menus. That's why it's calledthe slashdot menu and that's why I asked if you stole it frm /. (slashdot). If you didn't however, I apologise.

Its the same script im using
NjRocket
NjRocket wrote:
simplyw00x wrote:

Its the same script im using

Its the same script i have yea, but we both got it from dynamic guide. Or i atleast got it from there, that person is indeed using the same one though. I didnt take the script from him though.