FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Magic the Gathering

medievalman26
Anyone else out there in cyberspace land like magic the gathering? I know you guys are out there. Listen no matter if someone tells you that magic is a fad and is going to die out soon tell them that you have been hearing that for the past 7 years it is here to stay. My friends and I try to play as much as possible and I am up to date on the rules and cards. Well anyone else play and or like it?
Jupernia
I play MtG. My main deck is a Cleric deck designed to massive life gain. Basic, I never die and other players get sick and quit. ^.^

I've been playing for 8yrs now, and I love the game alot.
medievalman26
Cool. I have 6 decks...I think. I only use three. My black deck witch is undefeated. It has 2 avatars of woe, phage the untouchable, kaldras avatar, and marit lage(20/20 flying indestructable). My other decks are a black/blue card control and a all dragon deck. Your cleric deck might have some trouble against my black and black/blue decks but none of the others. Keep on playing MTG it rules.
mah_lau
Ahhh... I remember the days when I used to play it. I remember buying a booster pack and hoping to myself.. "I hope I get an avatar..." and behold! I got an avatar of hope. Haha. It was... a good day.
mhcjsquires
Play an RPG instead they are about a billion times better. Especially mass online rpgs like WoW, but don't let them take over your life cause they will.
elidorian
mhcjsquires wrote:
Play an RPG instead they are about a billion times better. Especially mass online rpgs like WoW, but don't let them take over your life cause they will.

I agree in the first point. RPGs create a better atmosphere, and you can inserting your own fantasy, impressions and motives. And there are enough genres to choose from. Fantasy till 'gothic horror' (whereas this sounds a bit bigheaded for me...). And you get to know other people! What would be better?

But MMORPGs aren't the same like p&p RPGs (or 'storytelling games'). MMORPGs mostly degenerated into a competition between the players, like 'who got the longest'. And ESPECIALLY WoW hasn't got any functioning community. And
Quote:
cause they will

hurt my eyes. I played many different mass online rpgs, but I never felt like they had 'overtaken' my life. I'm sorry to say it so directly, but that sounds to me, like a person, whos social life is long buried down in the basement.

elidorian, just my 2 cent
redwulfe
I would have to agree I wouldn't call WoW a RPG. it is fun though but it has about the same style of MtG, both are a compitition of two ar more people that have built their deck/character under fair conditions and pit them against each other in a battle of wits, skills, and builds. I prefer MtG it is the best I get to sit with my friends at our weekly game or on line with people I don't even know. It can be played at any time, any were I'm at, even if I am just working on a deck and goldfishing it to see if the curve works well. The stratagy is more intense as well their are so many deck styes a play stratagies, make this one of the best games on the market. or at least that my humble opinion.
panzerM3
I've been playing Magic for, geez, 6 or 7 years now. I have tons of great old cards like Serra Angel and Phyrexian Processor, but I can't use them in tournaments anymore.

I don't like the way the game is going, I'd say Armageddon was the last good set. Every set after that has gotten more and more powerful. Even if the old cards were allowed in tournaments, they wouldn't stand a chance because all of the new cards are 12/12 unblockable beasts of doom.
Game Fortress
Just the other day, one of my freinds (a Magic player) decided that he didnt want to play anymore. Rather than give his cards to someone else, he tore them up right infront of everyone. He even ate one. Pretty demented.
medievalman26
Sorry for not checking in for so long. I will make up for it

elidorian wrote:
mhcjsquires wrote:

I agree in the first point. RPGs create a better atmosphere, and you can inserting your own fantasy, impressions and motives. And there are enough genres to choose from. Fantasy till 'gothic horror' (whereas this sounds a bit bigheaded for me...). And you get to know other people! What would be better?

But MMORPGs aren't the same like p&p RPGs (or 'storytelling games'). MMORPGs mostly degenerated into a competition between the players, like 'who got the longest'. And ESPECIALLY WoW hasn't got any functioning community. And
Quote:
cause they will

hurt my eyes. I played many different mass online rpgs, but I never felt like they had 'overtaken' my life. I'm sorry to say it so directly, but that sounds to me, like a person, whos social life is long buried down in the basement.

elidorian, just my 2 cent

Both of you guys need to stay on topic. This is not discussing WoW or other rpg's. IT is MTG. If you don't like it than that is to bad. I know that it is a great game and it is much better than any rpg that I have played.

panzerM3 wrote:
I've been playing Magic for, geez, 6 or 7 years now. I have tons of great old cards like Serra Angel and Phyrexian Processor, but I can't use them in tournaments anymore.

I don't like the way the game is going, I'd say Armageddon was the last good set. Every set after that has gotten more and more powerful. Even if the old cards were allowed in tournaments, they wouldn't stand a chance because all of the new cards are 12/12 unblockable beasts of doom.

You can actually play those in tournaments for type 1(I would not recommend this one) or extended(If you want to try it). I agree but the big creatures are so hard to get out that very few can actually get them out. eg darksteel colosus 11 mana artifact creature 11/11 trample indestructible(not affected by destroy effects) when it is put into a graveyard from play shuffle it into your library. Creatures like this take some fun out of the game, but I find ways around that. Serra and processor are great cards. the game may have gone down hill but the sets are getting better and better while being fun to play. I make a deck every time I get enough good cards from the new sets. Also try the newest set Coldsnap it goes back to the Ice Age/Alliance block of cards to finish it off.

Game Fortress wrote:
Just the other day, one of my freinds (a Magic player) decided that he didnt want to play anymore. Rather than give his cards to someone else, he tore them up right infront of everyone. He even ate one. Pretty demented.

That is pretty sick and demented. If he wanted to get rid of them he should have sold them that way he gets rid of the cards and makes a few bucks off them. Right now I am getting rid of some of my cards so I am selling them. The total amount to buy the cards that I am selling is about $146 U.S.
mtoni
I started playing magic when I was four... I couldn't read english but it was fun :p

Those were the days that I played almost everyday, but now.....
I think I haven't played since then....

Magic ain't dead, it is still going strong
medievalman26
mtoni wrote:
I started playing magic when I was four... I couldn't read english but it was fun :p

Those were the days that I played almost everyday, but now.....
I think I haven't played since then....

Magic ain't dead, it is still going strong

Sounds like you had tons of fun back then. I agree magic is still going strong.
sir.paul.chaplin
I used to play also, had sort of crappy cards since I was to cheap to get good ones, but I did ok! My favourite card I think was midsummer revel or something which was really pretty sweet. I started with a slither deck which, once I added a few gems and figured out how to take advantage of it beat quite a few stacked black decks
medievalman26
sir.paul.chaplin wrote:
I used to play also, had sort of crappy cards since I was to cheap to get good ones, but I did ok! My favourite card I think was midsummer revel or something which was really pretty sweet. I started with a slither deck which, once I added a few gems and figured out how to take advantage of it beat quite a few stacked black decks

Cool sounds like you did pretty good I know sliver decks are pretty difficult to get going and tend to be hard to win with.
hyhy
I played offline on comp because i wont waste cash on it, and its nice game. I think ill install it again. Is there any online and free MtG game?
medievalman26
hyhy wrote:
I played offline on comp because i wont waste cash on it, and its nice game. I think ill install it again. Is there any online and free MtG game?

Not to my knowledge because with MTG online you can transfer the cards that you have to actual physical cards that I guess is the reson for the price you have to pay to play the game. There have been a couple of other MTG games for the computer although I cannot remeber any of them a the moment. Try one of those they were pretty fun to play if I remember correctly. (I am not 100%sure of that though)
hyhy
medievalman26 wrote:
hyhy wrote:

Not to my knowledge because with MTG online you can transfer the cards that you have to actual physical cards that I guess is the reson for the price you have to pay to play the game. There have been a couple of other MTG games for the computer although I cannot remeber any of them a the moment. Try one of those they were pretty fun to play if I remember correctly. (I am not 100%sure of that though)

Yea i have MtG: Spells of Ancient and MtG: Duels of Planeswalkers, they have multiplayer option but i didnt installed the required program for it yet. It says it wont install under other system than windows 95 (i have NT). I will hack it anyway. For now i enjoy single player Razz.

And yeah im not saying about the official game which is payable, there must have been other realeases (like the one i have) where you dont have to transfer your card and which are free.
bluecradle
I started on Urza's Saga, then the stinking Mercadian Masque (I'm glad Prophecy saved that block), then my ever favorite Invasion block, then the not so cool Onslaught, then the cool Mirrodin, then Kamigawa...(I think I've skip somewhere haha...)

Anyways mtg will still continue on for years (I love their new dual lands), but i'm rather busy now in college (work work work...).
medievalman26
bluecradle wrote:
I started on Urza's Saga, then the stinking Mercadian Masque (I'm glad Prophecy saved that block), then my ever favorite Invasion block, then the not so cool Onslaught, then the cool Mirrodin, then Kamigawa...(I think I've skip somewhere haha...)

Anyways mtg will still continue on for years (I love their new dual lands), but i'm rather busy now in college (work work work...).

Me too. I have almost no time to play anymore college kind of took over. Plus I am going to start woriking more so there goes the rest of my time. I still want to play though.
Dwyer17
Sorry but I think Magic is lame. I'm sorry for even mentioning it, but for some reason I just had to voice my opinion.
4ndY
hyhy wrote:

try http://www.magic-league.com/ , it's free and you can play either on apprentice or magic workstation
medievalman26
4ndY wrote:
hyhy wrote:

try http://www.magic-league.com/ , it's free and you can play either on apprentice or magic workstation

That does sound pretty sweet. I still prefer to play against a person sitting right across from me. It just seems to be much easier and in my opinion better to have an opponent you can see and hear the voice of (no video phone or webcams do not count), I will still try that online site you gave out it seems interesting to try out. Thanks for the tip
drag0n
i play on magic leauge and it's cool, the people are mostly friendly and you can play sealed, draft, play diferent formats, casual play or leauge play, testing etc.