FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dell Laptop Making Noise

kcw1304
I have a Dell 600m that I got 2 years ago and have never had any problems with. I recently 1- installed Ubuntu as a second OS to Windows XP and 2- took out the battery due to the recall- still waiting on my new one. When I am in Ubuntu working with photos the computer starts making this groaning/whirring noise and running really slow. I haven't tried it using Windows. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Is the new OS, lack of battery or is it just crapping out on me? Thanks!!
Jaan
It's crapping out on you.... but Dell has a great support system. You should check with Dell first. Then check with Ubuntu to see if there's any known issues. With my new Dell notebook, the instructions said that it's not recommended to run it without the battery.
Hope this helps Confused
Cheers
JBotAlan
A whirring, groaning noise could be either the hard disk drive, which would probably be a repetetive noise in some way, or a cooling fan that really should be running that isn't up to speed (from bad bearings maybe) and so the CPU is getting too hot and having errors (?) This sounds really weird; your best bet is with Dell support.

I think the BIOS might have a feature that if the CPU is too hot, it steps the speed down. I don't know for sure though.

Good luck,
JBot
kcw1304
Well, it completely died on me yesterday so I called Dell and it was my hard drive.. but they are sending me a new one for free since I had it under warrenty still. Thanks for your help!
Jaan
Glad you got it fixed mate!
ocalhoun
kcw1304 wrote:
Well, it completely died on me yesterday so I called Dell and it was my hard drive.. but they are sending me a new one for free since I had it under warrenty still. Thanks for your help!

I had the same problem with SuSE on my dell laptop. Linux dosn't support the fan-speed control that these laptops use, resulting in overheating and harddrive crash. I just wish I would have investigated that before buying a dell; now I'm stuck with windows on my laptop.
pudovkin
I believe it's something about the cooling fan. But I've never saw an Ubuntu kill a computer. ;P
jwellsy
Do you have the original OS install disk?
Hope you don't wind up having to buy another copy of windows.
JBotAlan
I am 99.9% sure that fan speeds are controlled by the BIOS, not at all by the OS. I know 100% that my laptop's BIOS handles the fan speeds, and it's a Latitude D520. It just doesn't make sense to hand over control of the fan speeds to the OS. Did Dell respond saying that it was the difference in OS, or is this someone's assumption?

JBot
Bones
There are also software applications that some newer computers use to reduce noise and heat. For instance AMD's cool n quiet which you can check out here: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487%5E10272,00.html

I agree though that it doesn't make much sense. This sort of thing should be handled by the hardware, not the software.