FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Capture Stills from Video

ankur.vatsa
Hi All,
I bought a handycam. The bad thing to happen was that I had enough money to buy a handycam or a digital camera. So now there are a few points on which any suggestion is welcome:

1. Now that I have a handycam, I am wondering if I can create stills from the videos I have recorded. I have been able to connect the handycam to my laptop and copy the videos to my hard-disk.

2. Is there a software available which can do such a job for me? If the software is a free and open-sourced one that'll be great, as I've spent all my money getting the handycam.

3. Assuming that stills can be captured from videos on my hard-disk. What quality of photograph-prints can be expected?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
TomS
Almost every Videoeditprogramm can make screenshots from your videos.
I think you have one, because you got the films on harddisk.
The quality is as good as the video quality.
MPG2 eg. has less than 800x600 px.
varun_dodla
ankur.vatsa wrote:
Hi All,
I bought a handycam. The bad thing to happen was that I had enough money to buy a handycam or a digital camera. So now there are a few points on which any suggestion is welcome:

1. Now that I have a handycam, I am wondering if I can create stills from the videos I have recorded. I have been able to connect the handycam to my laptop and copy the videos to my hard-disk.

2. Is there a software available which can do such a job for me? If the software is a free and open-sourced one that'll be great, as I've spent all my money getting the handycam.

3. Assuming that stills can be captured from videos on my hard-disk. What quality of photograph-prints can be expected?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Let us answer them one by one...

1. Yes you can definitely create stills from your videos. And its very easy tooo.

2. There are free video editing softwares and even video players with screen capture facility which allow you to save frames u choose in image formats as jpeg. The best one i can suggest is Windows Movie Maker...it come free with windows XP and has the above feature to capture frames and save as images.

3. The quality as TomS had mentioned will depend on the quality of your video.

Hope this helps.
lukeropro
Yep, windows movie maker works if you don't want to download another program. It's not open source though...
mckenzie2467
I have been surfing for several days straight now, and off-and-on for months... approaching breakdown zone here... I give up... I WANT THIS, for prime example, please follow this link and look at this one image, one picture :

http://www.michelletrachtenberg.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/12365

Click on the thumbnail, and the CAP, the still jpg image capture from a video... is 4200 x 2900! Please note the quality! No, it is NOT the page that does this, they said their tools offer the mechanics of that page, thumb to thumb to BIG, the vote, the menus, etc... they do NOT CREATE the big pic... although that size would be very nice, it is not rigidly required.

I have been trying for days and days to find the program to use that will enable me to take screen caps of the movies or tv shows playing in my computer. I have downloaded over and over and over and over again, to no avail. I am looking for only the ability to take still pictures of a large, high-quality size. I need the ability to control the caps I take (take them at will) and have them very good quality of at least 1200 x 1600 approx. Please contact me A.S.A.P. if you can offer assistance. My interest is of a non-profit, non-adult personal web page fan tribute interest. I don't care if it is free or not, money is not an option anymore.

I AM NOW OFFERING A REWARD TO ANY WHO provide me with the program that will create at-will the images from the computer, movies, dvds, etc... that I want. TRY ME! I kid you not... find it, get it to me and you will be handsomely rewarded. I am NOT looking for a Unicorn here, OBVIOUSLY something esists out there that can and will do it. Funny how nobody on the planet has a clue about what it is or where it is! Make me happy, and OMG I tell you I WILL DO THE SAME!!! - mckenzie2467ATgmail.com
chartcentral
You can use VLC Media Player to snap some stills. The quality and resolution of the images will be the same as your source video. Smile