FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

cheapest pc to buy

Dustylunchbox
hi i'm a mac lover life off them, cant get enough. but i have recently purchased an iriver clix amazing product have recieved it in the mail yet!!!!!!
but i have read that they are completely not compatible with mac so therefore need a pc to charge it with/ load on music. i do have some around the house but they are all a tad older before the time of USB so was wondering
A: what is the cheapest pc to buy? for the purpose i need it for
B: is there such a thing as an adapter that plugs into the keyboard type port to go to usb?

cheerio
{name here}
Well:
1) The cheapest PC is probably either a Dell entry PC or a Lenovo 3000
2) I don't believe there is, but there are things that work just like a TV signal splitter for USBs, but in reverse so you can plug several devices into 1 USB port.
Jupernia
If you want a Cheap PC then Dell is your bestbet. I would suggest getting a laptop if you get a Dell however, the decktops are yucky.

As for the other question, well, they are not called adapters. If think you are refering to the PS/2 ports at the back of the computer. And, yes, they make connectors for usbs for that port. Just take your keoyborad or whatever you are trying to hook to that port to your local computer store and ask them for a connector that hooks a USB to a PS/2 port.
redice
Go ebay, maybe you'll find what you want. I brought a TREO 600 from ebay, it is cheap, so I think there maybe have some cheap MAC computer to sell.
the6thfactor
Jupernia wrote:
If you want a Cheap PC then Dell is your bestbet. I would suggest getting a laptop if you get a Dell however, the decktops are yucky.

As for the other question, well, they are not called adapters. If think you are refering to the PS/2 ports at the back of the computer. And, yes, they make connectors for usbs for that port. Just take your keoyborad or whatever you are trying to hook to that port to your local computer store and ask them for a connector that hooks a USB to a PS/2 port.

Yeah, Jupernia is right. Alot of people with older computers that want to run USB devices ask for those quite often so they can stay up to date with technology without purchasing an entire new computer. So they started making it.. should be able from anywhere like Best Buy or a number of online stores.
lukeropro
redice wrote:
Go ebay, maybe you'll find what you want. I brought a TREO 600 from ebay, it is cheap, so I think there maybe have some cheap MAC computer to sell.

He said he needed a PC, not a Mac...
ezekiel_rage
Dustylunchbox wrote:
hi i'm a mac lover life off them, cant get enough. but i have recently purchased an iriver clix amazing product have recieved it in the mail yet!!!!!!
but i have read that they are completely not compatible with mac so therefore need a pc to charge it with/ load on music. i do have some around the house but they are all a tad older before the time of USB so was wondering
A: what is the cheapest pc to buy? for the purpose i need it for
B: is there such a thing as an adapter that plugs into the keyboard type port to go to usb?

cheerio

The cheapest way to have your own PC is to build them yourself. That way you can get the part that you want that'll fit into your budget. Like get a motherboard that already have built-in Audio and Video adapters. But I would Advise you to get motherboards with a Video Adapter expansion slot, an AGP slot will do or better yet get one of those that have PCI-X 16x, That way when you want to upgarde your viedoe system you dont have to get a new board.

Another is to make sure that the moherboard your are getting supports the latest or at least the current technology.

Stuff like, DDR2 RAM, the latest socket for your chosen processor, SATA. If you board have those then its at least future proof (for at least a couple of years).

That way Upgrading will be as painless as possible.

For the other parts like, Hard drive, DVD drives, etc. You can just get the cheapest you can find for now. Since, your motherboard is expandable, it'll be easy to put in/upgrade later.

For the other misc. parts like Monitors, Case, Keayboard and Mouse, again just get the cheapest you can get.

But also be very wary of the build quality.

just because you are getting cheap products does not mean you are settling for inferion products.

For that lets replace cheap with affordable.

Bottom line is get the most affordable good-quality products you can find.

Hope this helps
bakpao6
i think acer is cheapest laptop at the moment:D
but they are abit crap:d
huehueheeuehueh
but cheap enough and u can use it for any purposes:d
bassgs_17
Build your own machine, using older parts, like a netburst architecture Celeron D. I'm sitting on a temporary machine I built for $300; it's a decent rig for that price point.
diduknowthat
You can build yourself a VERY cheap PC. For about $300 total, you can get a machine with monitor/keyboard/mouse.

Start by looking at the older sempron line, or celeron D line. Since you don't need a graphics card, just look for a matx motherboard with onboard video/sound. 512mb would be more than enough for your purposes, but it's only a few bucks more than a 256stick. The cheapest case on newegg.com is $10, so you can get that. And you can get a harddrive according to your needs.
tuncay
well if I were you, if you are only going to use it for loading files onto it, go to newegg.com, and make the worst configuration you can imagine, it'll be more than enough for you.
whoamifooling
redice wrote:

Most coms from ebay are used... therefore, you never know hwat can be hiding in them
mikethm
I think if your only intention is to use the PC for data transfer to your usb external device, it would be a waste of money to spend money on a new Windows based system just to do that if you already a pre-USB Windows based system working.

It is far cheaper to just buy an addon PCI USB card. Logically, your old system should have spare PCI slots and you can just buy a PCI addon card to add USB functionality to the old system. It should cost you merely around 10 dollars if prices where you live is similar to where I live. However your OS would need to be at least Windows 95 SE if I recall correctly.