FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

WHICH IS BETTER FOR GAMING

WHICH IS BETTER FOR GAMING
Windows
53%
 53%  [ 21 ]
Macintosh
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
linux
25%
 25%  [ 10 ]
BSD
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Sun Solaris
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
or tell me which is good
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 39

roach831
I NEED TO KNOW WHICH IS BETTER AND MORE RELIABLE AND CAN THEY PLAY VIDEO GAMES?!!
bluefish
Windows is definitely the choice of OS for games
Saber
First, you cant just say what one is better. Each has its flaws and pluses.
If you plan on playing games then go with windows.. thats the only thing its good at. And the fact that most game companies only make games for windows.

Depending on the game you can run it on OS X, but like said before, Windows for games.
{name here}
Windows is best for gaming. It sort of falls down from there.

OS X is best for graphic manipulation and education. It lags a bit in looks and can only be used on macs.

Linux is good to help you learn unix(if you want to), have a fair amount of customization, and perform menial tasks

BSD is great for forcing you to learn true UNIX qualities, but it sticks to them much more than Linux so don't count on finding binaries for most apps. It also focuses on security and stability a little more than user friendliness.

Solaris is in its way Linux(or Unix, I don't particularily know what fork it comes from), but optimised for workstations and server use.

BeOS/Haiku/Zeta is good for speed in even the most dreadful of hardware. It however lacks themes(not Zeta) and some applications.

OS/2/OsFree/eComStation is great for ridding yourself from Windows, yet keeping yourself in a familiar enough environment for you to function. It's achilles heel is most likely its lack of applications(unless you have an X server installed to use UNIX ported apps)

Each has its ups and downs, so use the ones you want to your advantage.
redice
For me, I'll choose linux. I use Debian/GNU linux. But for the common computer users, Windows maybe the best choose sine now. I'd like to see linux be the most popular desktop OS. Smile
La838
roach831 wrote:
...PLAY VIDEO GAMES?!!
Obliviously from reading your post you don't know too much about this & you probably only care about games. In that case, stay with Windows, don't confuse yourself with this OS crap. Wait til Vista comes out with DX10 and that's your cool eye candy's for you.
lukeropro
I can't believe nobody voted for Mac
Animal
Quick reminder guys... there is already a thread on best / favourite Operating Systems here - please use it to discuss Operating Systems generally. This thread is about operating systems with the best games support. Please try to keep on topic.

Thanks all Smile Have fun!
bulek
Microsoft Windows are the best for games, popular programs, etc. But if you want everything to be legal, that can cost you very much if you use Microsoft Windows. It's better to use Linux then.
ocalhoun
roach831 wrote:
PLAY VIDEO GAMES?!!

BSD is definately the best for playing video games. You should use it to play your latest games (it's completely microsoft compatable), and it's perfect for people who don't know much about OS's other than windows.

(hehehe) Twisted Evil
corey
I still believe that the best video game play can come from a console like Xbox, Playstation, or Gamecube
turbohead
Macintosh is the best in my opinion, but also it's too expensive.
So if you do not have that much money, try Linux if you interested in it.
Xeniczone
Macintosh is good for more then just Graphics and Educations that is just a stereotype like Windows Always crashes that is just a stereotype of windows. We get the stereotype from what the system is commonly used for or what is commonly does.

Macintosh would be great for gaming.

Just as much as Linux. Using software from TransGaming.com for both Linux and Macintosh.

I say windows is the worst for gaming because most game you would like online, but windows has issues with online play with viruses and spyware risks where Linux and Macintosh are not open up to these kinds of bad things.

Another thing is Macintosh hardware holds it's value better then Bios based hardware. You still see these 1999 g3 powermacs selling for 100 dollars when their couter parts the Pentium 2's are only selling for 10-20 so when you deside to sell and upgrade you will get more of your money back.
saini.tarans
From my point of view i suggest windows for playing games b'se from graphics to controls, windows is best so that's why mostly people prefer windows and poll alos in favour of windows.
bakpao6
OS and main functions
Xp -> Games
Linux -> Server
Mac -> for graphics design

so if i would like to choose, i prefer XP coz it is easy to use it:D and not complicated:D
but i use Linux for create a web server.
it is very powerful even pentium 1Very Happy
Commando_Sondre
Well, XP is an allround platform. You can play on it, you can design stuff and you can have a webserver. Tho is Linux better on servers... But, if you want på play games, XP is the best. On Linux you have to use Wine og Cedega.
surdy
Linux is more reliable and better in terms of performance.
It rulez, but it does has lesser games than Windows

anyways i'm not a game buff

for me LINUX rulez Laughing
babumuchhala
Windows is Good for most of us!!!

Windows XP has good reliabilty, plays 99.99% of the Games out there, and Vista has awsome looks.

Macintosh is freaking Expensive and not much games.

Linux has a steep learning curve and still not so user-frinedly.

So Windows is good for most of us!!!
carlospro7
someday Linux will rule the world
cheeta
MAC is better... but hard to find softwares for MACs....

about windows...

Windows is just an OS... as we all know OS is just present in our system to run the software what we need... but here with Windows OS run computer 65 - 75 % of Normal computer resources is needed just to run the windows it self

right now few Linux run desktops are also looked to me slow... but i have my smile with MAC systems... its really amezing to see how a MAC OS just pulls of beuty Grfx effects with so little system resourcse consumtion...
Animal
carlospro7 wrote:
someday Linux will rule the world

cheeta wrote:
MAC is better... but hard to find softwares for MACs....

about windows...

Windows is just an OS... as we all know OS is just present in our system to run the software what we need... but here with Windows OS run computer 65 - 75 % of Normal computer resources is needed just to run the windows it self

right now few Linux run desktops are also looked to me slow... but i have my smile with MAC systems... its really amezing to see how a MAC OS just pulls of beuty Grfx effects with so little system resourcse consumtion...

And these posts have what to do with gaming?

Animal wrote:
Quick reminder guys... there is already a thread on best / favourite Operating Systems here - please use it to discuss Operating Systems generally. This thread is about operating systems with the best games support. Please try to keep on topic.

Thanks all Smile Have fun!

Please try to keep on-topic.
Kd527
I have used Windows, Linux, and Mac, and have researched a lot and Mac is definately my prefered OS. It's so user friendly too and Apple is a nice company.
Animal
Kd527 wrote:
I have used Windows, Linux, and Mac, and have researched a lot and Mac is definately my prefered OS. It's so user friendly too and Apple is a nice company.

Please actually read what the topic is about before posting! Your post has nothing to do with gaming. Rolling Eyes

Please keep on topic - if we have more off-topic replies in this thread, we will close it.
Xeniczone
Quote:
OS and main functions
Xp -> Games
Linux -> Server
Mac -> for graphics design

I can't beleave you posted this after I explained.

THIS IS BS.

XP is not the only OS the can do game. Linux can sure as hell do a crap load more then Host websites or files. Macintosh can sure as hell do more then graphics design. THIS IS ALL STEREOTYPES DON'T LISTEN.

Linux has a program from TransGaming.com that will let you play windows games very fast. It doesn't use emulation really and it runs your games just about as well as it would on it's native operating system. This will also be your cheapest way to go. Build computer, Free Linux. The only problem with this is their is almost no native commercial games for it. The only one I can think of is Unreal Tornement.

Windows will also do games, but If you like to play games online then is this really the choose you want to go with because now you have to have anti-virus software slowing your connection down and the full version (if you don't have an older version) cost 400 dollars alone. Thats too freaken expensive for an Operating System.

Macintosh. This will do a number on game that are already made for the OS such as Doom 3, Halo ect. Also holding some powerful hardware with the Mac Pro have 4 Xeons that can run upto 3ghz. The only problem with this is almost all the native games for it are First Person Shooters, but just like Linux they have a program that is currently being developed from transgaming to do the same as the Linux version run Windows Games on Macintosh.

Please, I don't want to sound mean or hateful but Learn what your talking about when you post. Expecally if you never used another operating system. I Use all 3.
undoweb
Windows is in the first place and maintosh is in the second place. Well in windows there are a lot of games and the processors work best. On Apple games work well becouse the video controller and on linux, well is not like on apple becouse on apple they make games specialy for the apple macine and on linux is ( like a buggy os ). That is my opinion so.... no ofence windows and macs are the best!
Arno v. Lumig
Linux doesn't have many games, but I've heard Cedega does a great job on it. Macintosh also doesn't have lots of games, but more then linux. Most of the games are made for Windows, but Windows tends to be a bit crashy sometimes, and the performance is usually very low.

If you only want to game I suggest Windows XP. Don't buy Vista yet, you'd better wait until everyone else uses it Wink. I prefer to use Ubuntu linux, but I don't really game that much.
Linux is definately not buggy or unstable. It has always worked as a charm for me.
jay84h
Windows is obviously the best choice for gaming. I don't know wh Linux is even an option, it's pityful for gaming.