FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Who in here trade in the stock Market?

risuarez
I was wondering who inhere trade or has any experiance trading in the stock market??? I know how does the stock market works "theorically" but I would like to know how stuff are done practically. Tell us a little bit about your experiance
Coclus
Im not tyrading on the stock market but you have to have a special education to do it. If a normal guy wants to trade, he has to asr a broker to buy or purchase
maclui
I have, not directly but in investment funds, indexed to the stock market, so is pretty much like trading directly, although you do not invest in one company but a group of companies.
risuarez
maclui wrote:
I have, not directly but in investment funds, indexed to the stock market, so is pretty much like trading directly, although you do not invest in one company but a group of companies.

Thanks for replying, did you did it for yourself or you had to hire a broker? If you did it for yourself perhaps you could tell us a little about your experience! did you won or lost? Was it difficult or mind-breaking? thanks in advance.
TrueFact
i have some experieance but not a practical one too. The idea about winning or losing as i know is studying the company you wanna buy a share from and check if the company has new plans and project and try to guess if it gonna win or lose on the new and / or current plans.

That's the idea in the very general and the easy way to explain it and this is just the way i learned it may be wrong and may be right... just don't count on it.
risuarez
I've known of some person who do all the buying, analysing and selling trough the internet! I thing there are companies which offer that service! It will be great to know what are the advantages and disadvantage of doing it online rather than personally.
IceCreamTruck
DING DING DING!

The IceCreamTruck Stock market is now open! Commense your buying!

IceCreamTruck: (coughs) Um... I'll buy 220 shares of Google Inc. (GOOGLE) for $91,231.8 plus the 7% trade charge of $6386.23. Thus 220 shares will cost: $97,618.03

Total market play cash: $2381.974 (i gave myself 100K to start with)
Total market shares:
Google Inc = 220 shares. bought at: $414.69 per share

Total net worth: $93,613.77
risuarez
IceCreamTruck wrote:
DING DING DING!

IceCreamTruck: (coughs) Um... I'll buy 220 shares of Google Inc. (GOOGLE) for $91,231.8 plus the 7% trade charge of $6386.23. Thus 220 shares will cost: $97,618.03

Total market shares:

Total net worth: $93,613.77

That is great! now...could you just explain it to us!
maclui
Mutual Funds means that you have to trade throuh a company which is called a Mutual Fund Trader, some companies allow you to trade directly by yourself through the internet, and most of them will asign you an advisor who may help you with the analysis (fundamental analysis is often the best way to make desitions in the stock market) But if you want to feel the adrenaline and do a kind of serious investment experience you should not listen to your adivisor, in my experience most of them are too shy, and too conservative. I made my money grow 22% almost 18% above the inflation and three times the best interest rate a bank can give you in my country, not bad considering no previous experience.
risuarez
maclui wrote:
Mutual Funds means that you have to trade throuh a company which is called a Mutual Fund Trader, some companies allow you to trade directly by yourself through the internet, and most of them will asign you an advisor who may help you with the analysis (fundamental analysis is often the best way to make desitions in the stock market) But if you want to feel the adrenaline and do a kind of serious investment experience you should not listen to your adivisor, in my experience most of them are too shy, and too conservative. I made my money grow 22% almost 18% above the inflation and three times the best interest rate a bank can give you in my country, not bad considering no previous experience.

Thanks bro! finally something useful! Now...could you give me an Internet link of a mutual fund trader so I can check it out?
maclui
It depends which country are you in. As for me in Mexico I was with GBM (http://www.gbm.com.mx). Most of the Mutual Fund Traders have two kinds of funds, one which is variable rent (which is tied to the stock market) and fixed rent funds which is debt. In the variable rent category there are portfolios with companies related to one especific sector (such as construction) a mix of sectors and the ones indexed totally to the sample used by the stock market to represent the whole market. I liked the last one because the stock maket in my country grew a lot the year before so you have a frame of reference, how ever with dedicated analisys you can track any sector you are interested in.
Let me tell you that it is not easy if you are a begginer to cope with upto 4% looses in one single day how ever it is so sweet when you get a good rally and take your money to the top upto 14% or even upto 2% more if you have really high tolerance to risk because when such high increments happen in a really short period of time (2 or three weeks) the index shrinks in free fall.
Detremmerie
I only trade in precious metals.

For anyone who might be interested in it, my frih site (jily.frih.net) features a real time chart and data supply for some investment tools (PM's, brent and forex)

I thought a little advertising doesn't harm Laughing
dwinton
I invest in the stock market. I am in a club at school that serves chiefly as an investing group
megalania
I too invest in the Stock Market. As I have said I am a member of the stock market club at my High School. We average about 16% per year. How good is your club?
dwinton
megalania wrote:
I too invest in the Stock Market. As I have said I am a member of the stock market club at my High School. We average about 16% per year. How good is your club?

About 24% in the last 15 months. We are only 15 months old though so that may go down. By the way, that averages out to be 24/1.25 or 19.2% per year.
IceCreamTruck
I wanted you guys to pick out some stocks to follow, but I guess I'm the only one playing my little market game. The only rule is 7% tax is charged on buying any one or group of stocks.

I bought google awhile back, and I have lost big in my little game. I gave myself 100,000 play dollars to pick a stock and I poorly choose google. What this meant is I lost money because of my 7% trading costs (real trades are also taxed this way) and I have lost big time because of google's drop in price per share.

bought GOOG at: $414.69 per share
today's value: 401.90

Oh god! I'm a loser. ;-p000>
hilander
I do trade...but it is not getting good for me,,in fact i did not win nothing,,what i can say is that, you have to have money to risk,, money you really dont need....otherways you are going to end up selling before you can cash in...You have to do a lot of research not only on the company,,but about all the things that affect the stock market..I woud say yesss,,it is mind boggling, but I like it...I dont know why,,but I really like it,,even though I did not earn real money in it....
mediocra
Hey all, this is kind of ironic, but I just applied for access to this forums so that I could start a web-based information website for personal finance and investing. I have been trading stocks for a few years, and I have pretty good success following the concepts of Buffet and Graham. Anyway, value investing - Buying a good company when it is most affordable.

I am willing to answer any questions that you have, but I would need a starting point as I could probably ramble forever without answering your questions!

So, fire away!
dwinton
Mediocra, could you suggest some stocks for my club to buy? We own some BAC, T, TROW and others. We bought 50 shares of HPQ today. In total we have made 24% in 1.5 years
mediocra
I think that it depends on your goals. When do you want to see results? (3 months, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, etc.) What risk level are you willing to take? Generally, I do value investing which is where you find a company with good management, business model, and results and buy the company when the price is low.

Let me know what type of time frame you are looking at and at what risk level and I will try and find something for you.
deleteditems
No idea!! Did a course a few years ago and I remember little or nothing!! I'm doing Business Studies now so maybe it'll come back to me. Smile
IceCreamTruck
IceCreamTruck wrote:
DING DING DING!

Total market shares:

Total net worth: $91,231.8

Super sweet! GOOG is now worth $420.64 and I have 220 fake shares valued at: $92,450.80

I still haven't covered the cost of making this imaginary stock purchase, but I am up $1,219 because of the shift in the stock price. From rags to fake riches in no time.

BTW, anyone else have any stock picks?
IceCreamTruck
Here is the link for the current price of google stock. enjoy!

GOOG (actual market watch)
TrueFact
try the swiss bank named SwissQuote www.swissquote.ch it's free to open an account and give you the ability to deal with several stock markets arround the world online.
Patsferpatrick
I don't actively engage in trading, but I do own 7 shares of kellogs cereal company, so I do know this.

Whenever you want to buy or sell stock, you call up a stock broker and he'll go over to the NYSE (New York Stock Exchange) who will buy/sell your stock for you for a fee.

That's about all I know
a good place to look would be howstuffworks.com
IceCreamTruck
HowToLooseMoneyOnTheStockMarket.com

LOL, I think you'll need a few more insider tips and tricks than "howstuffworks.com" but i will check it out soon for some fun reading.

I guess my real perspective on the stock market is this:...

You have to have money to make money, and this applies to the stock market and LIFE. If I had a lot of money I would probably start a business rather than buy stocks, futures, junk-bonds or anything of that nature. Yes, the stock market does make a nifty little machine for getting the funding to public companies for growth and expansion, but I'm not so sure I will ever get involved other than throwing a few thousand dollars at an investment company that provides indexed market investment accounts (spreads your money over a number of good purformers stocks in order to help maket investing to not be such a risk).

On an other note I still don't think I've covered the cost of investing in google in my fake little market game. I still own 220 fake shares of GOOG and I will continue watching to see the changes there, but unless google makes another move to buy a company I don't see the stock staying this high forever... Hey maybe that's my clue to get out now while the getting is good. Who knows?!?!
IceCreamTruck
Wow, no comments. I guess I said my piece and didn't make anyone mad enough to continue arguing with me. ;-p

If you were rich would you play the stock market, or would you just start a business like me?

I figure that there are about 10 good business indeas that I have and would start if I had to money to do so, and that doesn't leave me much of a budget for investing in the stock market.

I guess I would get involved if I was bored enough.
IceCreamTruck
Wow, just checking up on my imaginary purchase of 220 shares of GOOG.

Right now they are worth: $104,544

Seeing how I've made about $5,000 I would think about pulling my money out of the stock. Now I wouldn't want to do so in haist, so I would research what Google as a business is projecting for the upcomng months, and also what speculators are thinking the company stock is going to look like, and make my decision accordingly.

Wow, I made money and I only had to invest $100000 fake dollars in my market game to prove it. LOL!
command76
I don't but am interested in it....
rkgruver
Investing in the market can be done through a broker where you pay to make the trade, or it can be done through on-line brokerage companies like e-trade. There are various sites that offer suggestions, company analysis, and recommendations. Although a companies appearance and visibility in the news are important, the biggest key to successful trading is being able to look at the company's financial figures to determine their strengths and weaknesses.
IceCreamTruck
Ok, I've had enough of my fake market game. I'm selling all and running with what little profit I have made.

Right now my 220 fake shares of google are worth $103,796 and I actually want to get out while I'm ahead, so I will seel them and take the profits and run.

I hope that you guys have all enjoyed this fake little market game that I seem to be the only participant of. ;-p That also means I win! LOL
irinaonline
i am trading via www.brokerjet.com
it's an austrian online broker and behind this broker is a big bank from austria. there are huge information about every company, you can trade all and you can trade on all exchanges worldwide. the commissions are very little and all works-real time.
it's very sophisticated, but means more, that you must have already a level in stock trading and a knowledge. because there are already no advisers, brokers and so on anymore.
keep in mind, that you always work with real money and the potential for loose money very fast is very high also.
but all in all this is the product, which i can highly recommend, especially when you live in a west-european-region, especially germany or austria.
IceCreamTruck
Sounds like something worth checking out if you are actually interested in the stockmarket.

The potential for loss is something to be aware of, and actually I lost quite a bit in the first week that I owned 220 fake shares of GOOG. I started to wonder if GOOG was going to make a come-back or if I was going to have to cut my losses at the best point possible and invest in something else. As it stands I held the fake investment for a while longer and the stock started to rise.

When GOOG peaked durring my little experiment I tried to pick the best possible moment to sell my fake shares, but I was a little slow on the draw. I sold a day after they peaked last month, so I didn't get as much out of it as I possibly could have. I lost $2000 in profits, but I'm not complaining because first, that wasn't real money, and second I still had 3500 in fake profits to spend on other stocks and shares.

I haven't reinvested yet... anyone have any ideas on good stocks? who's projecting good right now? I am mildly following Google's stock because that company has peaked my personal interest. Kind of like microsoft did back in the 90's.
Zeusik
Because I have 8h hour job I can't spend too much time during a day to track what is going on the stock market. This is the reason why I have to invest in long term - minimum a few weeks.
I use advices given by Warren Buffet (the guy which make big fortune on stock market and play in horizon of years):
- I choose time to buy stocks when market don't increase indexes by year or longer, because that means that most stocks are too expensive. For example in Poland (where I invest) stockmarket is increasing for above 2 years (during this time index raise 2 times) and it would be good to buy stocks in 2004 but now have to come time to equal stock to their real price.
- Then I choose good company to invest:
- indicator price per stock/gain per stock is lower than 10 (superb if <7)
- indicator price per stock / book value per stock is lower than 1.2 (great if <1)
- no one of shareholders have more than 50 % of share
- there is no bad news about company at the last time
- if you know the products of the company and they are promising it would be extra advantage
Personally I don't believe in technical analysis of stocks - it's something like foretelling based on shapes of price graph of stock. But information about volume and prices could tell you more about right moment to buy and sell stocks.
hilander
For me,,the most important issue,,before buying stock,,is the number of times it is negotiated a day, which does not mean the volume. It is more like liquidity. Before buying anything,,you better make sure if it had, has and will have liquidity....
XC_comp
unfortunatly, liquitity is a terrible measure to make your entire investing decision on. There are so many factors other than that you have to consider.

To start with, you should decide if you want to trade based of fundamental analysis...dealing with the potential of the company. Or technical anlysis, trading based on stock movements, volume and trends. Technical analysis takes a considerable amount of trial and error as well as time and personal education as there are so many indicators to understand and interpret.

Before you start trading, it is an excellent idea to start mock trading. You can do this through an excel spreadsheet or through many free online virtual traders.

As well, if you are a new investor..or even a reasonable good one, you should be putting money into equity markets that you can afford to lose. If you take out a second mortgage on your house to invest, your risk exposure is immense.

You should determine your risk exposure. Trade within these boundaries and dont venture outside them.

A brokered account can help you understand the basics of how things work and you will recieve advice about your trade. These kinds of accounts will have higher trade fees than say an online discount broker that offers no advice.

I know someone said earlier that brokers are afraid to suggest risky stocks. This is due to the fact that they cannot reccommend a stock that is outside your level of risk. under the principle of 'know your client', a broker must look after your best interests when investing.
Note: I live in Canada that these are the rules here. They may differ in the states or elsewhere.

Hope that helps a bit.
hilander
thanks xc,,
I will evaluate my investment strategies,,thanks again,
IceCreamTruck
I tried to start a little mock-trading session on here, but was alone in the venture. I enjoyed it while it lasted, but I'm offically out of the market right now. Quit while I was ahead. ;-p

oooo, I'm going to go check GOOG right now to see where it's at.

Ouch, GOOG has shot up quite a bit. it's at $491 right now.

Anyone have any other good stocks to watch?
kiranaghor
I just attended a coaching class for stock market training. SENSEX is going up n up n up and everybody is making a lot of money here. I have registered with a broker firm - motilal oswal who provided pretty eazy software for online trading. I am not going to start with intra-day trading as it is very risky. I think delievery based trading is much safer.
The most important thing about deciding on a stock is the company fundamentals. Using 'Earnings per Share (EPS) and P/E Ratio, one can predict the future price of that particular stock (of course with all the fundametal condition in place i.e. index is going up and all that).
By investor trader I mean earn profit from those sahres which are fluctuating and use that money to buy more shares of large cap companies.
People often lose because they do not know when is the time to buy and when is the time to sell. They sell when market goes down while that is the time when prices are down and one should start accumulating.
Also people often ignore dividends. One can buy the stock when dividend is declared (and strictly before the ex date). and sell it after the Book Closure date.
This way we can minimize the speculations and be safe while making profit. Final point when stock is going down and down... and fundamentals are proving to be wrong, sell it immedietly and stop loss.
web_harman
I am a begiiner in stock trading but i have a passion for it.

Uptill now i have involved myself into intraday stock trading, some shares and mutual funds.

But i should tell you i beloing to INDIA whre there are two stock exchanges NSE and BSE. NSE( National Stock Exchange) and other BSE ( Bombay Stock Exchange).

Trading in stocks is not easy to grab but once understood you can change your life man. My passion for stock exchange developed after reading Rich Dad Poor Dad by robert t. kyosaki.

Investment is the name i would give to stocks. This means if you have money with you, invest it somewhere which would give you higher return than a savings bank account.

This was my point of view towards it.
arkebuzer
risuarez wrote:
I was wondering who inhere trade or has any experiance trading in the stock market??? I know how does the stock market works "theorically" but I would like to know how stuff are done practically. Tell us a little bit about your experiance

Ive tried both stocks and anvestment funds. Its really hard to make cash that way though, and it takes a lot of time just reading and studuying enough to make good deals.
I have studied a little about stocks and such, but I cant really say that made me a lot better at it... its all about (inside)information Wink
BUT generally it pays of better than just having the cash on the bank.
hilander
Does anyone knows a good and esasy to understand book to learn how to trade stocks ? It would be much appreciated..Thanks
mystraits
I've learn to invest in stocks these few months after i've invested in unit trust since 22/04/2005. I earn about average of 9% return for all the unit trust i bought thru out the year. The last fund i bought was a bout a month a go. So the rate of return have been pull down. For unit trust, we can expect about 6-12% of return annually.

I bouth several stocks, and after the few months now. I sell some which the price gone up. I sell them just b4 they gone up tromendously... However the share left with me. 2 up 2 down. I believe n luck cuz i didnt do much "homework".

Now the market is quite high in Malaysia. I ought to sell all my stocks but in my mind, i hope to sell them only when their price goes up.
It's hard to determine whether our decision is good or not.. Unless we knowed the result.

To learn how to invest. Just go to the local forum online. I'm sure there are someone will be willing to help. But I suggest you open an trading account first and get a book such as fundamentals of investment first.....

Online trading will offer you the discount on the brokerage. In Malaysia, online trading's brokerage is min RM 12 and ranges from 0.42-0.7% (0.42%,0.5%,0.6%and 0.7%). Thru broker is 0.7%. However, You can see many info online such as trading ideas, technical, analysist reports etc.
IceCreamTruck
I would not buy a stock that you are not actively following in the news and on the market.

Different things affect where the stock is going, and company mergers do a lot for stock movements.

I like google (GOOG) and follow that company pretty regularly in the news. I haven't had the money to invest, but I would be watching for Google to acquire a company that has a good history, and then I would buy up as much google stock as I could before the company merger takes place. Once the merger is on I would watch google's stock for signs that the stock is going up because of the merger. I would ride the wave until the stock peaks and starts going back down. I would then sell everything and wait for the current price of the stock to bottom out and I would decide if I wanted to repurchase the stock or move on to something else with my receintly acquired piles of cash.

I realize that I am not a professional trader, but I have been watching stocks long enough to have discovered some trends in the way a stock moves. The biggest movements I've seen have been either when companies merge, or when a company restructures in order to be more profitable. Mergers produce drastic jumps in price, but restructuring/reorganizing seems to precceed a long period of growth for a particular stock.

Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are fun to watch around the time of the release of their lastest greatest consols, and or around christmas time. Game sales are dominating the toy market anymore because the profit to expense ratio is astronomical. Think about it... all they have to do is put the software on another cd, package it, deliver it, and they make another 60-80 dollars.
IceCreamTruck
Current price of GOOG is: 483.00

if you read back through this thread then you will see that this is not the high for the period that I have been observing the movements of GOOG.
webmaster3
I have been thinking about signing up for one of the free accounts to see how my stock picks go, but I keep thinking that if you don't have some money behind it then you don't take it serious enough to really learn anything while your picking stocks.

so I may just try and buy a very small number of shares to start and see if I can learn something about the stock market without losing all my money.
agudosnet
No idea!! Did a course a few years ago and I remember little or nothing!! I'm doing Business Studies now so maybe it'll come back to me