FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lord Peter Wimsey / Harriet Vane mysteries

Traveller
Dorothy L. Sayers was an absolutely remarkable woman. She wrote essays about education, books about theology, and even translated The Song of Roland from its original, Old French and Dante's Divine Comedy from its original, Old Italian. In addition, she was an acquaintance of "The Inklings" - an amazing group of writers/friends that also included J.R.R. Tolkein, C.S. Lewis, and G.K. Chesterton.

On top of all that, she also wrote a wonderful series of mystery stories and novels around the characters Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane - first, as separate series, but later with the two together. As one might guess from Lord Peter's name, "Wimsey," there was also an air of humour about the stories, even in some of the titles. For example, one of the novels is called Have His Carcase - a slightly over-literal translation of habeas corpus.

It's difficult for me to decide upon a personal favourite, but I would guess that it's divided among Murder Must Advertise, Gaudy Night, and Strong Poison.

Of course, every author has detractors, but a great number of mystery fans and critics still enjoy Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane, and I would certainly recommend them to anyone who enjoys good mysteries. Even the two BBC-TV series were quite good, and could be a good way to introduce someone to the world of Sayers' mysteries but, as always, one should always go to the books, and not just rely upon any screen interpretation.

Give them a try!