FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Convert m4p to MP3

LostOverThere
Hi, I use iTunes music store to buy my music, but I want to be able to convert it to MP3 so I can play it on my MP3 Player.
(Yeah, I've already told Apple how dumb they are selling it in m4p Format)

Is there anyway to convert m4p's to mp3s?
Discovery
Try out GoldWave. http://goldwave.com/ Use the free version just in case that format is not supported. Let me know if it works.[/url]
tenoranin
Yeah Goldwave is pretty much easy to work with.
I use imTOO converter, its an amazing program.. You can convert almost any kind of media into anything you want.
LostOverThere
Thanks Guys, I'm trying GoldWave out now.
achene
I used a small and free (else it was a trial) program called switch. it was easy and worked pretty well.

Achene
JBotAlan
This is a great method, but you lose (a ridiculously small and unnoticable) a small amount of quality when converting it, and this method wastes CD-Rs but they are dirt cheap anyhow:

Open iTunes. Make a playlist with the songs you want to convert in it. Open the playlist. Hit Edit > Preferences > Advanced tab > Burning tab > Make sure that "Audio CD" is checked. Press the OK button, and press Burn Disc with a blank CD-R in the drive. Wait for it to finish burning. Now, you can either use your favorite CD-ripping program (*cough*Exact Audio Copy*cough*) to rip the CD, or use iTunes to import the CD. If you're using Exact Audio Copy or anything besides iTunes, there will be no tags--CDDB and Gracenote cannot recognize burned CDs unless the order of the tracks is the same as a commercial CD. I used Musicbrainz (from http://musicbrainz.org/ , you have to sign up for free) to figure out what the tracks were and to tag them correctly. Musicbrainz analyzes the frequencies of the songs and matches them to their database, so without any metadata (title, artist, year, album name, etc.) it is possible to tag the song correctly. The tagger is pretty buggy from what I've seen so far, but it works. In iTunes, if you want to use it to import the freshly burned CD, you'll want it in mp3 format, so hit Edit > Preferences > Advanced tab > Importing tab > "Import using" box set to "MP3 Encoder". iTunes will do the job just fine, and it will tag all the songs correctly.

Good luck, and I hope that that post was a little clearer than mud...
JBot

EDIT: stupid forum software added the comma after the Musicbrainz URL to the link so the link was bad. Fixed by adding a space. Dumb computer.
bulek
I use Logipole Konvertore - it can convert almost all audio files. Try it, you won't be dissapointed.
lovemp3
I have used a similar tool called Protected Music Converter
Nutteloos
Personally I'm using a copy of DBPowerAmp, and it hasn't failed me to date.
takashiro
I have never heard the music file type before. Why not use .rm?
pudovkin
Protected Music Converter and DRM Converter for Mac looks great!
Does anyone knows if Foobar2000 can do the job too?
lukand
I used ALL CONVERTER from rapid share, this converter is made for all extensions and for 3gp and mp4 or mov
fifiward
personally, I use NoteBurner

it uses virtual burner to burn protected music on virtual CD-RW disc

it works very fast
Ankhanu
Your iTunes doesn't have a "Convert to mp3" feature if you (right or ctrl) click your selection?

I don't use iTunes for Windows, I use Winamp, but iTunes for my Mac has that handy feature.
charisco
Here is a great site I found that can do what you want done right online.

http://media-convert.com/convert/
Sphaerenkern
Ankhanu wrote:
Your iTunes doesn't have a "Convert to mp3" feature if you (right or ctrl) click your selection?

I don't use iTunes for Windows, I use Winamp, but iTunes for my Mac has that handy feature.

It only has this option if you decided to convert CD tracks to mp3 (in import options).
pudovkin
Sphaerenkern wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

It only has this option if you decided to convert CD tracks to mp3 (in import options).

No way Apple would allow to do that... Wink
thelastunicorn
LostOverThere wrote:
Hi, I use iTunes music store to buy my music, but I want to be able to convert it to MP3 so I can play it on my MP3 Player.

In fact, there are several tools that can convert m4p to mp3.
Such as: Noteburner, Notecable, tunebite, soundtaxi.
I have tried all of them before since I had the same problem in a few months ago
I prefer Noteburner, which uses a virtual burner, it converts so fast...
It can also convert protected audio book and wma files.
RUMyBoyfriend
I use converter TuneCab. It easily convert almost all files with high speed and quality!
poly
There are hundreds of free programs out there, just search google or use one mentioned here..
liljp617
=/ My songs always automatically converted to mp3 when I dragged them into iTunes.
Agent ME
liljp617 wrote:
=/ My songs always automatically converted to mp3 when I dragged them into iTunes.

I think m4p is one of the formats that the songs are in when you buy the songs from the iTunes store.

When I want to convert DRM songs to mp3, I turn off messenger programs and anything else that might make noise (internet explorer too - makes clicking noises when you load pages - firefox doesn't, but flash ads might), and I re-record the song in Audacity and export to an mp3. (Some tips with audacity - set the mp3 bit rate to 228 for good quality, and make sure you have it set to record from the computer's wave/mp3 output in stereo mode)
ddukki
This method might seem a little over-complicated, but it works for me.

I use a program (sorry, can't remember which one) feature to burn a CD image of the song onto the computer. Then, I use a mp3 ripping software to rip the song back onto the computer as an mp3 file.

Of course, you have to redo the meta-data, but hey, it's the simplest way I could figure out, without actually burning something or paying for another mp3 converter that usually doesn't have a good encryption.
Tasio
The best AUIDO/VIDEO format converter is SUPER from Erightsoft. It's simple and it's free. It have all the codecs you need to convert any type of audio or video. You can download it from http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
asim
hi buddy,

you can use this link to convert any format to any vice versa..... and it is gr8.... and convert to mobile, ipod anything just have a try
http://www.effectmatrix.com/total-video-converter/
misterXY
LostOverThere wrote:
to buy my music

what is this "buy" you speak off? Just d/l SmileSurprised
Canada = Awesome Shocked
Canada = Soaring dollar & jobs Smile Shocked
Josso
Personally I would just open up Audacity and record it while it's playing, if you've got a good enough soundcard you shouldn't be able to tell that it's been ripped that way. I'm not sure that if your looking for quality you should do that but with tricky formats like m4p I always take the easy way out Laughing
anotheraddict
If you have Foobar and have the LAME encoder on your machine, you can simply right click > convert any of your music to mp3 files. I personally find LAME to be the best MP3 encoder and try to use it exclusively.

SUPER is also a very good encoder, if I'm not mistaken it also uses the LAME encoder for its MP3 conversions, so I can highly recommend it, also like previously stated it is 100% free so no reason not to try it Wink
frih
there are various softwares avalible for this,like----

Super
I am too mpeg encorder

or
you can search for ohter softwares on the internet

have a nice time!!!!!!!!!

regards
abhi
Aiuspaktyn
Best program for me is Nero Wave Editor! Very Happy
You can convert all audio formats!
hiquality
Goldwave is an easy to use editor...Still if you want to convert to MP3 you also need to download the Lame library ,extract the archive and copy the lame dll to your goldWave Folder...

You can also use the Pro version of Winamp ( registered one ) or some plugins of winamp like Transcoder...

Have a nice week!
cloris
NoteBurner Audio Converter is quite good. Convert m4p to mp3 and the convert between most of audio formats.
windbell
LostOverThere wrote:

I just like to use daniusoft digital music converter, it can easily remove the DRM from protected music (mp3, wma, wav, etc) and convert m4p to mp3 or other DRM music between different formats, also can extract audios from drm video (wmv, asf, etc). that's really nice
ddukki
I found this program a while ago and the GUI is so intuitive that it's hard not to get exactly the encoding that you want. It also does DRM if I'm remembering correctly.

Any Audio Converter
Emma
Noteburner is a good program to convert iTunes music to mp3.

www.noteburner.com

I also recommend TunePat. More easy to use

www.tunepat.com
cielo
To convert m4p to mp3 you can use the following media convertor:
http://www.tuneraft.com/
It converts both protected and unprotected audio/video files and is very easy to use.
David_Pardy
I was going to say Winamp as well, you can do it with the inbuilt Disk Writer plugin and save as WAV or MP3, possibly other formats.

You don't need to use the Pro version of Winamp, it's free and it's easy to use.

SUPER is really good when you know what you're doing, but Winamp is a lot easier to use.
Solaris
I use MelodyCan to convert m4p to MP3 . Works Perfect .
app893
from google,you can find many useful and free tools.
Kreker
I have compared different converters and I recommend MelodyCan.
It converts music and movies, and also can remove drm protection. The converter is easy to install and use.
TheRPGLPer
Free MP3/WMA/OGG Converter works really well. I use it on a daily basis. Also, the new version of iTunes can convert M4U into MP3, I thought.