You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

the internet and learning

If you are a student, do you use the internet to supplement your textbook-learning?
 80%  [ 29 ]
 8%  [ 3 ]
only when taking a hybrid or distance course
 2%  [ 1 ]
only when the assignment specifically calls for it
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 36

Are there websites you regularly use as aids in your learning (eg, EDICT to learn kanji pronuncitations and meanings)? What are they and how do you find them useful?
When I really want to learn more about a subject I look for it on wikipedia. It usually has whatever information I was looking for.
The Internet's a wonderful resource! I tend to use it as a reference guide, a LOT.

For French, I use, a dictionary for some of the more popular romance languages, to look up new terms. I have a small French vocabulary, so it also helps in padding my essays with more impressive words. I also use, a verb conjugator, to help me with some of the tougher verbs. Okay okay, so I got lazy and started using Verbix to conjugate everything.

For the natural and physical sciences, I tend to look up terms online (using the define: function on Google), especially when I can't find the info in my textbook or when there isn't sufficient info in there. As far as resources for my papers go, I think most of the journal databases have moved online. Pubmed is a great search engine for bio-related journals. Thanks to that site, I've never had to physically walk into a library and look at the journal index sections., the humanities equivalent of Pubmed, is a good resource too.

There are also many simulations, tutorials, answer keys (not quite as ethical as some of the other approaches to learning, so I won't go over that here), smart people over IM programs...

(I'm tired and I can't read. I *heart* this edit function.)
The internet has made school redundant
The internet has made school redundant

This may be true for 2% of the population who are self-motivated but from my experience 98% of people would not bother to look at anything beyond their interests, based on the experiences and opportunities they have had. What schools do is broaden these experiences and give the opportunities to learn things that they don't get from home
sure it does, wikipedia ftw!
I do sometimes, when I need to. Otherwise, I dont really do so. Internet can contain false information, happened to my friend once:

We had a english project, and he had to difine some words, so he went to google and googled it. What he found was that there were lots of sites, so he took one. The information given was wrong, so his grade went down quite a lot. So you goto look out when you use the internet, never know what the information may contain Smile
Surely information on the internet are not secure to be true in any time, but if tou look on some more pages, and you are used to the topic it is easy to decide whether they might be true or not. For example in wikipedia you can care about the truthness of information yourself, unfortunately short before presidential votes I wouldn´t recomment you to look for informations about th e candidates.
Going to school is a must to explore the possibilities and dangers of the internet. You havent to go to a university, unless you want to have a degree. All information given by an university you can find in the internet mostly. If you are studiing art it is possible that there are fewer information then if you are studying computer science, so if you are studying art care about that.
I'm glad that people have responded, but I was hoping you'd all post examples or links to your favorites, as loryl did. :wink:

Personally, I use dictionaries and encyclopedias more than anything else online but generally as supplements to whatever I'm reading at the time. When I don't recognize a term, I'll highlight it and search Merriam Webster. If that doesn't satisfy me or it's a longer phrase, I'll search Wikipedia or The Free Dictionary. I can't count the number of times I've gone to Wikipedia and then spent the next several hours chasing a red herring, starting from the External Links and ending... usually when I realize I let the computer eat half of my sleeping time again.
There's more things on internet to learn about certain topic then in whole school...
The creation of a virtual learning environment through the implementation of software from Blackboard Inc. provides the foundations for building both a complex and dynamic learning community. The emerging theoretical perspectives for Internet based learning are clearly creating new boundaries and structures for the learning process, both on and off campus. The design and implementation of an Internet supported collaborative learning environment at Huddersfield University Business School requires Web based applications software to follow both an open and flexible approach, allowing the transferability and integration of diverse software products. The software product CourseInfo, from Blackboard Inc, is providing tools to meet such a challenge. The primary differentiating features of implementing a Blackboard solution, for Huddersfield University Business School are scalability and ease of integration into a campus wide environment.

To successfully prepare for digitally focused learning, educators must incorporate into the learning process new forms of expression, such as multimedia. Since emerging forms of representation such as hypermedia and virtual reality are in their early stages of development, we are just beginning to understand how they shape not only the messaging and communications process but also the receivers and interactive users. Many are still attempting to adapt from the first impact of high performance computing and communications. We now need to rapidly adjust from the challenge of working with limited information to the challenge of surviving information overload. The core skill we all must master is the ability to harness value added information, through immersing ourselves in data to identify and gather knowledge through the learning process. Understanding how to structure learning experiences to make such immersion possible is the core of new modes of education. Expanding traditional definitions of literacy and learning methods into “immersion-centered” experiences of interacting with information is fundamental to preparing students for full participation in 21st century society.
I've used a book once since I got the internet and that was to look up the meaning of several nearby place names.

I'm on a multimedia/ design school in the Netherlands, So I have to use the internet. I can't do without I have to say.

At my school we're learning subjects about webdesign, advertisement, film, audio and such, so internet is all the way.

No internet no lessons.

We even got internet lessons in the first year Confused Who needs that while you do this school? I hope everyone who signed in knows what internet is and what to do with a computer, so why lessons in it?

Other than that. My school in GREAT!!

handles wrote:
Are there websites you regularly use as aids in your learning (eg, EDICT to learn kanji pronuncitations and meanings)? What are they and how do you find them useful?

I cna ues it to find some useful data and other files
I also use the internet for homework. I use websites such as Wikipedia and Answers and most of all Google. But if the teacher says that all the info we need is in like Chapter 1 in our textbooks, then i just look at that. It's actually faster.
For reports, research information, and essays, you should use GOOGLE Smile for information.
But if they tell you it's in lets say: page 235, then you are wasting your time finding information you don't need instead of plain clear facts.
But for extra support if you want any, any reference to other places would certainly help, esp. for papers.
I use the internet quite a lot for researching things to do with School work; however, i generally find that the specific text book I was given provides more than enough information needed.
Assignments and technical papers are all copy and paste of the internet. Studying some extra stuff off the net is really worth it these days. You have open source libraries on the net. Take I read a little from the net.
There are a lot of databases I use on an allmost daily basis in my schoolwork.
Besides I can save a lot of cash by reading the books on internet instead of buying the book in store. Sure you can go to the library, buy downloading the book as a pdf saves quite a lot of time Smile
I use all sorts of online sources for learning. My library has access to lots of databases that I use to find research on topics I am interested in, and I use Google Scholar for the same purpose.

I also use schMOOze University (telnet:// to talk to people who work in related areas (ICT and education, specially English as a Second Language). I had my first computer hardware lessons online from a friend at schMOOze. I came home one day to find that one of my cats had tipped over a cup of coffee onto my keyboard. My friend archy at schMOOze talked me through taking the keyboard apart, cleaning out the coffee, and putting it back together again. All this via text based chat! I was blown away. That day I think I really began to realise how powerful the net is.

For me now, work can not be done with out internet, although I am not majored in computer things,
I study computer graphic design, so the use of internet is crucial and inevitable for me. The more I observe and search through internet the more skilfull i become. Besides internet can be a really good source of information about history of art. Well besides nowadays internet has beacome a tool and part of our everyday's life. I cannot imagine working without it. But have you also noticed that thew more time one spends on internet, the more joyfull it becomes to meet friends and do anything that has nothing in common with computer.
4anY stole my line! Wikipedia is the best reference source that I've come across, and it's only growing. Everyone is skeptical, but come on. As a test, I clicked random article - it was Casimir Pulaski, a Polish General - and I changed his birthday by 3 years. An hour or two later I looked back at it, and it was already changed back to normal.
I've always used the Internet for researching. They're very useful for me. I search stuffs in Google. I use wikipedia often too. But I always make sure that I double check the data.
Wikipedia is a really useful and flexible tool. I sometimes use it as a dictionary especially when it comes to economic language and other special expressions. And according to google my favourite phrase from 'The It crowd' 'Don't google the question Mars'. I even caught myself on googling every doubt I have. Well, internet becomes the fastest and most actual source of information ever.
Personaly i worship google, grom there you realy can go anywhere! just type in what your looking for and it'll find your destination after 2-3 minutes! Google, it's magic! Laughing
I just use search engines for everything from to and