FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Reccomended Motherboard Cheap but good?

malcolmiles
Hi I'm looking for a good and cheap motherboard that needs to support both old IDE and new SATA drives. I don't mind if its celeron or sempton
mathiaus
More details please. I'm assuming by your description you won't be using it as a gaming PC meaing you wont need PCI-E graphics.
Questions;
Ram required (If wanting to use old ram, what type?)
PCI slots needed
SATA or SATA II (Raid controller?)
USB or USB II (and how many) / Firewire?
Onboard audio/LAN (integegrated WLAN? [speed])
and most importantly, what budget do you have?
malcolmiles
I'm not looking for a gaming machine, what i'm looking to build is a new 'server' for my wifi network at home, It will need to take 2 IDE drives out of my old machine plus a big fast SATA drive for storing TV recordings on which I can then share with my notebook and my children's machines. I don't need WLAN as it iwill be connected by ethernet cable to Router

I require ATX form
Graphics and sound on board will be fine
USB2 ports at least 4
Ram I'll be looking at 1GB which I'll buy to suit motherboard

Budget about 150 GBP (300 USD) for the board and memory
psycosquirrel
Buy an AsRocks board, they are good, cheap boards. They are great for budget builds.
Ceroianz
Gigabite And Asus more compability and stability.....if u Choice for high performent........
gh0stface
Although I'm not sure what type of chipset you want(nForce, ALi, VIA) nor what type of processor you want to the motherboard to be made for, however you may want to check out EPoX motherboards. They're fairly cheap to buy and a little cheaper then ASRock. EPoX has been a fan-favorite for the overclockers communities.
psycosquirrel
EPoX is not bad, I would NOT go with one of their VIA boards. Try to get an nforce chipset...
ForceRun
Sweet deal is the Intel Duel Core rigs. For $100 Pentium D 805 (2.6Ghz) CPU can over clock to 3.2 Ghz of stock cooling and much higher with better stuff. Or the 900's if you want to pay more and not worry about overclocking. As far as MoBos go, I love LanParty and Asus. Nvidia chipset is the only way to go. For dirt cheap grap a ECS, but remember you get what you pay for. If you want a super cheap rig grab the Asus w/ ATi's onboard X300 video, 8 channel sound, Gb eithernet. for only $80. Then all you need is a cpu, and memory. Grab some DDR2 for $100+ and the 805 Intel cpus for $100 and you got a nice system for under $300 just dig up the other stuff from what you got laying around, Case, PSU, Opitcal Drive, Hard Disk and so on. It is all cheap and with a little more money like a video card and some overclocking you got a serious rig. I helped my friend put to gether this system and it rocks. My brother got basicly the same system but 2Gbs of Ram and the 7900GT video card, and his computer blows my system away. And his cost was under $700 for the whole thing including case and so on.

In alreality most MoBos preform the same. Like you will see little to none preformance gained between the cheap guys like PCChip(Who suck big time) and Asus. It is the realibilty and options like SLi and board setup that make the difference. I prefer to pay a little more for my MoBo so it does what I want and last for a long time so I don't have to worry about it.
tar-xzv
Hello,

Good but cheap? Asus. Most of them are not so cheap. You want junk, you pay $40. I was very happy with my Asus, now I have Gigabyte 8IG1000 Pro, I'm not so happy right now Rolling Eyes

I can't overclock it (not that I'm really trying), because it has cia and mib. Is this true?
psycosquirrel
ForceRun wrote:
In alreality most MoBos preform the same. Like you will see little to none preformance gained between the cheap guys like PCChip(Who suck big time) and Asus. It is the realibilty and options like SLi and board setup that make the difference. I prefer to pay a little more for my MoBo so it does what I want and last for a long time so I don't have to worry about it.

Motherboards can make huge differences in performance, especially if you plan to overclock.

For example, I currently am using an eVGA motherboard, the only mATX SLI board in existance. It cost me around $100 shipped, and it sucks major balls. My old motherboard was an AsRocks that was around $60 shipped (also mATX) was signifigantly faster in everything, not to mention I lost .4 GHz of overclock switching boards. The AsRocks board would run my Opty 146 at 2.8GHz (almost 50% overclock!), where the eVGA board has trouble running at 2.4GHz at stock volts. I upped the vcore a bit and am running stable at 2.5, but even still the AsRocks board was noticably faster. Because of this, I am parting off my rig and putting the memory, CPU, and hard drives into an SLI shuttle (shuttle mobos are very good performers).

I completely agree with the reccommendation for the P4 LGA775 system. Get an 805D and a decent AsRocks board, and you should be able to get a 50% overclock EASILY. Be sure to do a bit of research first and make sure the board you pick has good overclocking features before you buy it. If you build the system right, an 805D cored system can cost less than a Celeron (Celerons suck anyways).
ForceRun
Quote:
Motherboards can make huge differences in performance, especially if you plan to overclock.

Sorry, I guess I was not very clear. Given that several MotherBoards all have the same specs, features, and simluar BIOS setup most* (not all) will test out the same. Because if they use the same chipset setup they all will operate the same. You will not see any boost in CPU, FPS, and all that stuff. However, if they do use different chipsets (intell vs Nvidia), and different BIOS options like FSB setting limits then yes there are big difference in preformance.

First step, pick your CPU then find the motherboards that match it. Next find out what chipset you want. I personal prefer the lastest Nvidia chipset. Then find the One with the features and options your what, like onboard video and/or PCI-E slots and SLi support. There you go. Oh, if you plan the overclock, check the bios settings to make sure they support overclocking.