FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Do you use curse words? Why / Why not?





tidruG
The question is simple... do you use cuss words in your daily spoken language? If you do, why do you? If you don't, why don't you? And do you consider it a big deal to swear?
Under what conditions do you consider it a big deal to swear? Under what conditions do you not consider it a big deal to swear?

Note : I've asked a whole bunch of questions. I'd better not get weak-ass replies such as "Yes, I swear." without any reasons or other opinions, or I will remove your posts and/or lock this topic.
ncwdavid
I always swear when I out with my friends and stuff but I never realy do it in front of my parents. I dont realy know why. Embarassed
Tatsumaru
I only tend to use swearwords when I'm angry, get hurt, or fail miserably at something. I usually don't use any when in normal mood though, and I try not to swear when older people are around.

Swearing sucks, it becomes a habbit so easily Sad
djwayno
i dont use these types of curse words. the reason i dont is because i dont believe in them so i think they are pointless.

But i have nothing against people who do use them, you have the right to believe in anything you want.
pll
I almost never swear in my life... I don't know why lol !
tidruG
Well, 4 replies so far, and I must say that to me, all of them are quite disappointing. I would have expected longer replies. Most of you just say that you don't or you do, under certain circumstances.
Anyway,...

Tatsumaru wrote:
Swearing sucks, it becomes a habbit so easily

Why does swearing suck?

djwayno wrote:
the reason i dont is because i dont believe in them so i think they are pointless.

Believe in them meaning?

pll wrote:
I almost never swear in my life... I don't know why

Well, you must be able to come up with a good enough reason for that! THink now... Is it because you were afraid your parents would punish you? Is it because you're afraid everyone else will think of you as a bad / ill-mannered boy?
ThornsOfSorrow
It all depends who I'm talking to. There are some people who deserve respect and shouldn't have to listen to a swear being spoken between every two words. For example, I would never swear around teachers or people I don't know, because swearing sounds unintelligent, and I always like to leave a good impression on people. I do swear around my friends sometimes because they sear quite a bit and I've almost adapted it unknowingly because I hear it so much from them.

Also, I do swear around my parents (although I would never, ever drop the "F bomb" in their presence, since they would get mad). This may seem disrespectful at first, but you have to understand that I have a very open relationship with my parents and, as I've gotten older, they've began to watch their language around me less and less, so I've done the same around them. However, I would never swear AT them (e.g. calling them ******), since they deserve more respect than that, and they would never swear at me either.

I'm not at all offending by swearing, because they're just words that have been deemed "bad", but I try to avoid it because of the intelligence factor that I mentioned earlier. I'm not saying that people who swear a lot are unintelligent, but too many swears makes it sound as if the person has a limited vocabulary and simply can't think of anything else to say.

Hopefully that's long enough to not be disappointing for you. Wink
The-Master
I don't swear at home much as I am not that disrespectful to my parents but they swear all the time. I think swearing gets your feeling across much better than normal words. For example if you said "this is rubbish" it doesnt sound as meaningful as if you just say "this is shit"

That is why writers swear in there books, so that the words have much more feeling and meaning.
R2.DETARD
i swear a lot, mainly because it is great for getting attention.
lots of the time when someone shouts, "hey david?"
I'll yell back "what ******!?" for a joke. I know, i know, I'm a bad person, but I just don't believe words should be hurtful at all.
They shouldn't be taken seriously.
Thats why I swear.
[FuN]goku
yes when im with friends, sometimes @ home and, when i get ticked off or hurt myself yes
Soulfire
Sometimes I do, although I make an honest effort to avoid it. They're so negative, and people tend to use them when they are mad. It is my opinion that by using these negative words, you only perpetuate the anger.

I don't swear around adults or children though.
jongoldsz
Most of the time I don't, and when I do I use them as a joke.
loryl
I swear. I used to not swear until about two years ago. I guess the online gaming community finally got to me. Wink

I've never thought swearing was something horrible that should be avoided. Most expletives were just normal words until someone made them swear words. To me, they're still words.
schudder
I usually don't swear all that much, simply cause I get terribly annoyed by people who throw swearwords into every other sentence. It's pointless and you take all meaning away from those words.

However, when I'm pissed off, annoyed, at waterpolo practice (especially when I just let a dumb goal happen - I'm the keeper) or generally trying to express I much I hate/dislike something, then I can swear my ass off. I feel that if you limit your swearing to occasions when you actually strengthen what you're trying to express, it has a much bigger effect then why do you course every other word.

I don't consider cursing to be something that's "bad", just don't overdo it. Words that are used a lot lose their meaning (and can get on one's nerves when done way too much).
hrtorrent
I'm trying to control myself not to swear in conversation. But when someone provocate me I can control myself. Rolling Eyes
I have situation must to speak to people that swearing in every day conversation. They put some swear in every spoken sentence, sometimes even twice or more. I don't like that kind of people, my opinion is that hey have some mental and/or social problem.
hlavco
The only times I ever swear are when I'm quoting someone else who cursed, and even then I'll sometimes censor myself.

Swearing is just useless because there are all sorts of other, better-sounding words out there to use instead. Sometimes, I think people curse just because they're not supposed to. I see no reason to do it. If people are happier with me not cursing, then I won't curse. It's not like it affects me in any way.

A lot of people really curse WAY too much, though. Sometimes they do it even between sentences. I've heard people who, instead of saying "ummm..." while trying to think of something, they say "umm... fuckinnnn'.... and then go on to finish whatever it was they were saying. It just seems kind of dumb.
Xcelerate
Whilst a lot of words are simply said as a motor response to some sort of inflicted stress, I still think the deeper meaning of the words are rather offensive. If you view the words as vocabulary with intent, it can be bad, but generally people just say them to make an emphasis or provoke a strong response. Personally, I don't, and I think it is because I have obsessive compulsive disorder. (Similar to how I have to type everything gramatically correct, order things, etc.)
darkjoker
IDK why i do it but its just part my my persona i guess.
I guess it will never change but im happy with it so. Oh well.
David_Pardy
I don't swear anymore. I used to all the time for years, mostly because of skateboarding Wink.

I stopped because as a Christian I feel that it is wrong - add to that, most people I see who use that sort of language seem to have no real control over the things they say or the capacity to say things in a manner which doesn't involve using curse words.

I've come so far, I don't even swear at other drivers when people cut me off and stuff anymore Wink. Although sometimes I do construct rather rude sentences in my mind, they never make it out the door...
Shanghai_Dragon
I don't curse because I think it is a waste of words... plus cursing makes you look worse than you really are.
rightclickscott
I swear alot, every f*cking second I get the chance. But I don't just swear for the sake of swearing like many other people do, I use swears in context. I even actually know what "f*ck you" really means. You how people say "bless you" after you sneeze, or when they feel like blessing you, well, that really means "May God bless you." So when people are saying "f*ck you," they're actually saying "May Satan f*ck you." I learned that from my High School history teacher. *The more you know!*

Anyways, back to the topic at hand, swearing is something I do constantly, especially the f word, which I've mentioned several times. It really helps with my writing, since it shows any character I have that swears as being rather upbeat, while still serious at other times, and it can even add alot of emotion. People are swearing in my comics constantly, it's just another part of speech to me. If someone told me to stop swearing, I'd probably say "May Satan f*ck you."
HoboPelican
It's totally a situational thing. For me, they are only words and have no deep meaning.

If the people I'm with don't swear, I don't either. Just out of respect for them. If I'm with group of guys who can't form a simple sentence without using the F word, I'll swear a bit. If I'm forced to deal people I have no respect for, I tend to not swear. That makes the occasional swear word much more effective in getting their attention.

It really isn't that hard for me to bounce back and forth between using foul and polite language. The point of language is communication and to do that effectively, you have to use language that your audience can relate to.
izcool
Come on people !! It's not hard to follow through with what the author asks with answering each of the questions. I really don't like that, as I tend to like to ask these sorts of questions here on FriHost and get pretty weak responses to them. Most of the time they wind up being classified as "Spam Topics" by Moderators on this forum and get locked. Although I wanted them to be better than the turned out, I tend to get disappointed.

--

Well, for me, I find that there is a time and a place to cuss up a storm. I tend not to do it at school in front of teachers since that's just asking for trouble. I know some kids do it and try to say that they said "Mother Trucker" instead of, well, you know when the teacher yells at them.

I slip it out sometimes on accident to my parents, who don't exactly flip out and punish me for doing so. Like I said, there's a time and a place to use it. I use it mostly in internet conversations and through friends of mine, and through my sister, since they have different bonding relationships than I do with other people.

tidruG wrote:
do you use cuss words in your daily spoken language? If you do, why do you? If you don't, why don't you?


I do cuss words in my daily language, mostly to myself through, through my mind or through the people who have bondings with me who I can say them to (again, online, sister, friends). I started to cuss a few years ago since it was a huge influence on me from my father. It's hard to answer on "why I do" since it just slips out. Sometimes I think that weak responses to some things just don't cut it and need the "dirty words" to do the job.

tidruG wrote:
And do you consider it a big deal to swear?


Not really. I don't really much care on if someone does it or not. It's their problem and not mine. I just chose to do it at those times and places.

tidruG wrote:
Under what conditions do you consider it a big deal to swear?


When you get a hammer or an anvil dropped on your foot, that's a perfect time to cuss out a few words. For instance, here's how I would do it.

"Aw s--- does that f---ing hurt ! D--- it !!".

tidruG wrote:
Under what conditions do you not consider it a big deal to swear?


Again, through school, parents, and with people who I haven't formulated that bonding with yet.

If you don't use it well, I don't suggest using it all. If anyone here seen the movie "The Weather Man", David Spritz uses it constantly and makes it seem like he's an idiot, since he uses the wrong words at the wrong times, and uses it too often. If I were him, I would get rid of some of the words used in his sentences and repalce them with others. I mean, I do agree with him on how he has to use it, as he gets hit like 8 times in the movie by a Hot Apple Pie, a couple of Sodas, chicken, a milk shake, a taco, etc. I would be pissed too.

- Mike.
eku53ru
I normally don't curse at school or at home; when I do, it's when I really can't help it (otherwise, it slips out). I do use many substitutes for the words, though, like freakin', shoot, darn, etc. I even use nonsensical words from time to time, or words which don't make sense as an insult. XD

I've been known to call my sister a coconut crab instead of, well, other words. Sadly, my sister's mouth won't censor itself, and my parents will do naught to stop it.
Nameless
Is swear occasionally, usually for extreme emphasis rather than for offence.

Actually, I never take offence at people swearing. People who swear *all the time* get on my nerves a bit when they're swearing just for the sake of it though. I don't think swearing should ever be a big deal *unless* it is being used to deliberatly trying to provoke, insult or offend people - but in those cases, it's not the swearing that's the problem, it's the intenion behind it.
dalordvirus
I do swear frequently.. reason? am used to it. Just cant be a true professional and b formal Razz
Rwatson1
I swear all the ****** time! mainly cause i find it fun and its somethign i find comfortable. also it is great for emphasizing humour and insults stuff like that. really the word cu*nt just makes everything humorously insulting. and the way me and my friends do it is just a joke and were all okay with it, i guess tis just how youre raised and who you hang with. my dad swears so damn much so i guess thats where i get it, and my temper too...
bluecradle
sometimes haha...but only at home or in the dorm. Twisted Evil
Yjaxygames
I swear (not all the time). It's not really hurting anyone, and it's a relieve. I do get annoyed by people who swear all night long, but I don't think it's a big deal.
tidruG
ThornsOfSorrow (I'm sorry, I don't know your name, and hence have to refer to your by your username), your post made my day... The first long post in the thread... very much how I was hoping most of the replies would be... good job Very Happy
Quote:
swearing sounds unintelligent

I suppose that's true. The society has made swear words like that. They expect us to use better, dictionary words to express ourselves rather than curse, so I guess cursing could actually have an effect on people's impression of you. I curse around my friends when I want to really impress a point I'm trying to make or when I want to lay special emphasis on something. Also, I like to shock people who like to maintain a clean, perfect sage impression of themselves... who are they trying to kid? Everyone has a wicked side. Also, I do it a bit in rebellion. People are like "Oh, he swears... he's a dirty guy" or people saying "He's such a nice person... he rarely swears, blah blah" In my opinion, balls to stereotypism. I try to be as good to others as I can, and I swear... sue me Wink

I do avoid swearing around my parents and around people who deserve respect, like elders and teachers, too. Although my mum's cool, she doesn't make a big deal when she overhears some conversations I have with my friends... also, I get angry real fast, and so I sometimes do swear in front of my mum when criticizing something, though it's always at a minimum. I can get pretty ... er... vulgar if angry, though I generally avoid embarassing people by that kind of language.

Quote:
I'm not at all offending by swearing, because they're just words that have been deemed "bad", but I try to avoid it because of the intelligence factor that I mentioned earlier. I'm not saying that people who swear a lot are unintelligent, but too many swears makes it sound as if the person has a limited vocabulary and simply can't think of anything else to say.

That's an excellent point. It's what I was trying to say above the quote.

Quote:
Hopefully that's long enough to not be disappointing for you. Wink

Read first couple of lines, Smile


The-Master wrote:
I don't swear at home much as I am not that disrespectful to my parents but they swear all the time. I think swearing gets your feeling across much better than normal words. For example if you said "this is rubbish" it doesnt sound as meaningful as if you just say "this is ****"

Well, that, to an extent. Also, I guess that swearing comes much more naturally when you're angry because you're too angry to come up with a "proper" word to describe your feelings. When angry, you're barely thinking about what to say or how to say it... you generally just blurt it out. As for saying "this is shit" rather than "this is rubbish", that's primarily just to add an extra emphasis on what you're saying.
Quote:
That is why writers swear in there books, so that the words have much more feeling and meaning.

I'd say instead that writers actually probably do that to bring a sense of reality. If the situation demands a curse, they'd probably put one in without hesitation.

loryl wrote:
Most expletives were just normal words until someone made them swear words. To me, they're still words.

Well said! Most expletives are not a big deal unless the person hearing them makes it a big deal. If my friends were to swear in front of me, I wouldn't consider it a big deal at all... I'd probably swear back at them, but I'm pretty sure that if you'd swear in front of a mister/miss goody-two-shoes, they'd be scandalized Wink

schudder wrote:
I get terribly annoyed by people who throw swearwords into every other sentence.

True. That just seems unnecessary. And mostly, people do it here who think that it's "cool" to put in a swear word in every sentence. I find that very annoying.

hlavco wrote:
I've heard people who, instead of saying "ummm..." while trying to think of something, they say "umm... ******'.... and then go on to finish whatever it was they were saying. It just seems kind of dumb.

That is an excellent example, hlavco, of what I (and probably schudder too) was trying to say!

David_Pardy wrote:
most people I see who use that sort of language seem to have no real control over the things they say or the capacity to say things in a manner which doesn't involve using curse words.

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree. I'm full conscious of the fact that I'm swearing, and I have complete control over what I'm saying. Almost all of my friends who swear have complete control over what they're saying too. I can very diplomatically tell a teacher that my sum is indeed correct and I deserve the full marks for that particular question rather than the half marks she's given me, while actually thinking something like "You dumb bitch! That's answer's as correct as it can ****** be! I want full marks, woman!"
(Note: That generally does not happen though... just using an example)

izcool, thanks for the excellent reply! It's exactly the kind of reply I'd have wanted.


eku53ru wrote:
I do use many substitutes for the words, though, like freakin', shoot, darn, etc. I even use nonsensical words from time to time, or words which don't make sense as an insult. XD

That really reminds me of Ned Flanders! Very Happy

Nameless wrote:
but in those cases, it's not the swearing that's the problem, it's the intenion behind it.

That's certainly true... however, swearing at someone certainly does amplify the provocation, doesn't it? Wink
CyanEyed
i dont normally swear AT people unless im extremely pissed of. but i do occasionally swear to emphasise a point like: what the fxxx was i thinking or dam, that question was a bxxxx to answer
Becky
I swear all the time. Its just a normal part of my language for me. I grew up hearing it all around me all the time, constantly hearing my mum swear at me/at anything else, so thats probaly one of the main reasons why i swear so much.
It annoys people Laughing
Sava
only when I'm mad ... and since I am leaving with my girlfriend now ... I'm mad all the time ... Very Happy women ....


So I guess I swear all the time ... but just for myself, she doesn't hear anything Very Happy
seanooi
i only swear when i'm really in a bad mood or if i'm trying to amplify my statement.
Like when i'm angry i'd use the typical 'fu**' word.
And when i'm trying to amplify something like 'that car's very beautiful' i'd normally say 'that car's fuc**ng beautiful'
7gts-scout
a lot of the times Rolling Eyes i mean from morning till night.... if i'm together with my frens... why?? cause i'm used and addicted with it...haha... Twisted Evil
kazikame
I swear quite a lot. I don't see why people get offended by them. They're just words for ****s sakes.
frozenhead
I intend not to really use curse words as much as I can. I don't know? Maybe I just feel goosebumps whenever I say it. Rolling Eyes
rightclickscott
Going down the lists of words I use on a normal day:

*ss
B*tch
Damn
F*ck
Sh*t

Words I need an appropriate situation for otherwise I don't use them:

C*nt
D*ke
N*glet
raaeft1
I am a journalist by profession. We are prone to use lots of swear words in our normal behaviour with others. It has become a part of my life to use swear words aplenty especially at home and with close friends and colleagues. My wife and daughter have accepted this.
However, my relatives were shocked and they gave me a lecture not to use such words. I explained to them that I was not harming anybody by using such expletives but they did not understand.
sonicj
I generally don't cuss on a regular basis. There are times when it just comes out, like if I stub my toe or if I get frustrated cause the phone rang 20 times while I was in the middle of something important.

I think socially it carries a lot of different perceptions today. In one group it would be the norm and in another it would seem crude. Personally I feel it shows a lack of being creative with words. Some have said it is a sign of a lack of intelligence, but not neccesarily. It could be more of a laziness to make use of your language creatively. This brings me to one of my favorite quotes: "That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet". Or in other words, "Sh*t smells even when you call it number 2"
biedr0na666
swear words... there seem to be people who would never use any single swear word. on the other hand, there's plenty of youngsters (and not only) whose every third word is swear.
I think both ways are incorrect.

first one is bad because if you really want to express your anger, you limit yorself. this is not good. who wants to deliberately confine his/her expression style??

too much swearing, on the other hand, MAKES you sound dumb and makes people think that you swear all the time anyway, so why worry..? what if you wanted to express some really excessive emotions then..? nobody would listen to you because you don't have any expression that is more 'swear' than swear.

i hope you get what i want to say;)

to sum up, I'm FOR using the whole language span.
but I'm FOR saving the real 'swear' words for special occasions;)
jabapyth
I (as a rule) do not swear. Its a standards thing. The way I think about it, is that swears are often used to impress (well, it starts that way, then it becomes a habit). I also ask those around me to try and monitor their use of vulgar language.
Quote:
first one is bad because if you really want to express your anger, you limit yorself. this is not good. who wants to deliberately confine his/her expression style??

Are swears really the only way you can think of to express anger? Now thats limiting.
SNES350
I first got into swearing when I was eight, from older kids telling me what the words meant. Now I keep bouncing back and forth between swearing and not, but I am aware of it every time I do, which leads to me cursing a second time then stopping for awhile.
Jupernia
I do swear, but I have to be pretty pissed off to do so. I normally change up my words and say things like crap or fudge. (yes I know, its lame) I try not to curse to much, but sometimes you can't help it.
snowboardude
i try not to swear, because it tends to make people assume things about my personality, however sometimes the occasional f-bomb escapes my mouth when i am really ticked off, tho it only happens very very VERY rarely.
Vanilla
There's some situations where the only words that fit are the worst. Like when you run out of money, or when you car brokes in a dark place, or get fired, or got bad grades, or...

Yes, I do use, everytime! And I don't really care what people will think of me.
konflikt
Fuq yea I cuss. Or "swear". It's a part of me. Every other word is a cuss word. Except at work, of course. That is just not acceptable. But fuqer, b-itch, shyt; that's pretty much all I ever say. The only cuss word I don't use is the gd word. That's because I refuse to use God's name in vain. Did it maybe twice in my life, asked for forgiveness immediately. I know, I know, if it's a cuss word, it offends Him, and I'm wrong on that part. That I know. BUT: I will not cross the line.

Hope that was enough, as I cannot elaborate further. Wink
Jayfarer
I use curse words occasionally for emphasis. When you really want to make an impact with the meaning of your words, they come in handy.
meetul
tidruG wrote:
The question is simple... do you use cuss words in your daily spoken language? If you do, why do you? If you don't, why don't you? And do you consider it a big deal to swear?
Under what conditions do you consider it a big deal to swear? Under what conditions do you not consider it a big deal to swear?

Note : I've asked a whole bunch of questions. I'd better not get weak-*** replies such as "Yes, I swear." without any reasons or other opinions, or I will remove your posts and/or lock this topic.


I dont use such words
The reason is simple because my cursing won't change anything in the cursed person.
Isn't that a good reason for not using such words?
Karl
I actually try to avoid it, because it's bad style. But I am from a country (Denmark) where most of the swearing actually is done in english (probably because of the film industry) so it is sometimes a little bit embarrasing to be in a native english country with other danes.
Zaini
Why is the need to use swear word ? There are so many beautiful & full of maningful language or word in this whole wide world.

Are we so self-concious that we want to sound smart or street legit by using swear word ? Is it a must to express ourselves ? Why can't we express ourselves, anger or otherwise, by using a much better word ?

I'll respect someone that can use a beautiful language or words to express something without resorting to foul language.
angel_of_death
i dont ever swear in front of my parents Smile

but usually i swear quite a lot. actually, there wasa time when almost every two sentences had a curse word Razz

but i got into a spot of trouble for that. so now i'm improving. i hav started to think its quite immature to swear allthe time.

i guess my girlfriend has got something to do with it too. Very Happy

god, thisspacebarjusthadtostopworking Evil or Very Mad
DopeyCriz
I think "swear" words belong to adjective parts.

As I always swear whenever my stress level reach 25%. I lived in an enviroment where people swear all the time, everywhere. (Chavs)

I bound to swear accidently in a meeting when i got suspended for, I called the headteacher a c*nt.

I have to think before what I have to say, it does help, limiting down the "slipping" of the swear words.

I don't find any swear words offending. I think it is just a word. Pointless to get angry over it.
Fuk you a$$hole! Offending? No.

I started to swear when my sisters taught me how to say "Fat C*nt" and they insisted that I say it to my mother, and I got smacked. Since then, I swear a lot, I use it as an adjective and verbs.

This have got adjective and verbs in as the terms "f**king"
"I was f**king a f**king hot gal last night"

Well, there is some people hate swear words, some love it.

I say, it pointless, i use it as an adjective or verbs.

Adios.
Helios
Yes, I swear.

I always swear when I'm talking (not always when I'm writing).

Why? Because I can.
Heh, and if someone gets insulted by what I say, then he's a sissy and I don't talk to sissy boys.

Girls are a different story Cool

(I never get insulted by any words. I'm not "emotional".)
Kaisonic
I feel that claiming certain words of the English language as "bad" or "curse" words is racism against certain words based on their nature. So in short, I have no problem with swearing, as long as I don't offend anyone by using swear words. For instance, I don't swear around my mom cause she's offended by me saying swear words. She swears all the time, but I can't, and I don't know why. But I like to swear. It's fun. Especially to random people on Xbox Live. That's really fun.
Helios
Gotta agree with Kaisonic.
I swear a lot (more than in real life) while playing online Laughing
shwetanshu
i use swearing word only wen i m really very very very angry... but io hve nerv sweared in front of my parents!!
godam64
ow sorry i'm not swearing on english language. everything is on indonesian language. i use them only to my close friends to having fun not to fight in words.
The Czar
I swear atleast once a day ... My parents swear infront of me so why not ...

BTW, They are good parents ... Just when they watch news ...
Slick
lol im forever swearing... think people that know me know im ill if i dnt lmao!

in todays society i think some people dnt even understand the sentance you say unless it has a swear word in it... almost as if they loose interest.. lol Laughing
zjosie729
Occasionally I swear to myself, but otherwise I never swear. One of my friend's friends always swears.
hellrahul
I never use these words
The Czar
Have you ever once? I don't believe you when you say that ... You've got to swear atleast once ...
Liu
It really depends who i'm around.
meet in rio
Not often. I have two quite young siblings so I wouldn't want to get them into bad habits, and it usually 'cheapens' your speech. Swear words have their place, and can be very useful, but if you use them the whole time then people just become numb to them.

At the end of the day they're only words, though, and it does irritate me that society (and that does include me) puts them up on a pedestal.
dan751
Well, Most of the time, I don't swear, because it's rude. However, if I'm really really ticked off (which it's hard to tick me off) I probably would, simply because seems to help aleviate anger. I'll sometimes swear at a video game I may be playing if I'm say, playing a war match against the computer and the computer's kicking my butt. lol. Fortunately, that doesn't happen often. But, generally, that's basically why I do and don't swear. Wink
roadruner
i use them a lot Razz
not sure why but it kind of calms me down Smile
OutlawSpirit
yea i swear... most of the time... its not constant but defiantly everyday... its just the way of speakin... there isn't really any reason 2 explain why, dunno why i do swear actually... way i see it is they are just words and they give more expression to what you are talking about most of the time
SFMeatwad
I cuss a little bit on the weekends. Mostly because I am around my family, but for some odd reason, I cuss a lot when I am at school or something like that.

I think it's mostly used to sound cool and to 'spice' up a sentence or to insult another statistic in everyday life.
ainieas
I don't use cuss words. At least I try never to use. I think my this behaviour has in roots in teachings by my parents and elders that only people from lower strata of the society swore or used cuss words. Now I have become this indivisual completely different from my friends who think three swear words in sentence of seven words is "cool". And I'm happy with who I'm.
tidruG
ainieas wrote:
I don't use cuss words. At least I try never to use. I think my this behaviour has in roots in teachings by my parents and elders that only people from lower strata of the society swore or used cuss words. Now I have become this indivisual completely different from my friends who think three swear words in sentence of seven words is "cool". And I'm happy with who I'm.

Very interesting post... one of the few posts I've found interesting in this thread of late.
Anyway, I must ask you... now that you consider yourself to be an individual, capable of thinking by yourself, without peer pressure... do you consider that only people from the lower strata of society use swear words? Why?

If you still think that only people from the lower strata of society use swear words because that's your parents' opinion, or if you consider yourself an individual because you don't use 3 swear words in a sentence of 7 words (like your other friends), because your parents think it's bad... would it not mean that you're not yet completely an individual free of the pressure from your parents? (I would have called it peer pressure, but parents aren't exactly peers)
Commando_Sondre
I don't curse since I've grown up into a Christian family, and I'm holding on to that religion.
CompactHaven
I do but only because... nvm there's no good excuse. I wish I didn't. It's trashy.
/Habit.
drag0n
society makes me curse Very Happy
S3nd K3ys
tidruG wrote:
do you use cuss words in your daily spoken language?


Oh, ****** yeah.

Quote:

If you do, why do you?


Many reasons. Emotion, clarity, purpose, ease of use etc etc
Quote:

If you don't, why don't you?


N/A

Quote:

And do you consider it a big deal to swear?


Not usually. But good swearing can make just about any conversation more ****ing exciting.
Quote:

Under what conditions do you consider it a big deal to swear?


At or around my kids, my mother in law, and just about any other adult I respect which does not normally swear.

Quote:

Under what conditions do you not consider it a big deal to swear?


The ****ing internet. (Most kids that know how to use forums, have been cussing for a long time already)
tom69
When i fail in something =p I don't realy use curse words when I hang out with my friends not sure why maybe becaus ei don't have any friends Wink
no, i think it's just something that you are learnt when you grew up.

~~politesse~~
Josso
Yes I do, sometimes more than other times. I go through phases of just swearing loads and being obscene... it doesn't bother me.
Davidgr1200
I often get the impression that people who use swear words do it to impress other people. It's very easy to overuse a particular word and then it loses all meaning. There was a time when I used the word Narrs (a made up word) as a swear word as it sounded good when I said it!
m00tmuffin
I go through weird periods where I'm more likely to swear, and then times when I don't do it at all. It doesn't really bother me though, at all, when I do it or when other people do it, but sometimes I'll stop myself whenever/if I ever feel like I'm doing it way too much or not using it in a relatively tactful way to express what I'm talking about.
Yuuyami
I do, 'cos sometimes there's no better word for what you're looking for then a good swearword.
justnewbie
i didnt swear in my daily life, neither in chinese/malay/english. most of my friends swear, normally when they're angry or disappointed with something, but we do feel funny when someone swear in the middle of peace and tranquility.

i swear when i'm playing games, typing them out (most probably the noob word) when i feel angry and furious.. of course you do when they suddenly killed you from your back. I do swear in my thoughts if my parents scold me but I kept quiet. i think it's wasting my energy and time arguing with them (even if they're wrong) cuz.. they're my parents?
Fire Boar
I don't swear, ever. There are some people I know who use ----ing swearwords every other ----ing word. It sounds so ----ing lame, like they want to ----ing spam their ----ing speech so that they can ----ing add more words to their ----ing sentences, thus appearing more ----ing intelligent (not).

If you're being talked to in an offensive way, swearing back is not the answer. I find it is much more effective to simply pretend you did not hear, or shrug if this is impossible. "Whatever you say" is good to go in situations where talking has to be done, that or "if you say so". If someone is badmouthing you, just go along with it, and have a more mature, conversation with one of your friends later.

In short, it's just not worth swearing. It's immature and there are much better things you could be doing... like posting on FriHost, for example!
arjay
Smile At the onset, I would like to think that opinions posted here maybe greatly influenced by culture, religion, environment, morals and values, aside from family upbringing. So, I would try to present my personal humble opinion in a general view.

I don’t use curse and/or swear language. Big deal or no big deal? For me, it does not matter - they just don’t exist in my daily language vocabulary. And, I guess my daily life and communication is better without them. Razz

If I hear curse/swear words, I just turn my back. They deserve my back more than my mind, much more my words and time. Silenced

By the way, one can effectively stop an intelligent discussion with cheap Exclamation rebuttals such as the use of curse/swear words. I may even say that there is a newer variant of the famous quote; ‘if you can’t beat them, don’t join but, curse them.’ Laughing

Aside from matter of expression (lighter side of using curse/swear words), I often hear people use curse/swear words when they are down and losing. I don’t know if that is a part of their defense mechanism or diversion tactic. Well, maybe their last words also before turning their backs to evade imminent ‘defeat’ - emotionally. I guess there is a better formula for that: curse/swear = s.o.s. (distress call). Laughing

Exclamation These posts I like to take note because they are worth of good impressions:
ThornsOfSorrow wrote:
... I'm not at all offending by swearing, because they're just words that have been deemed "bad", but I try to avoid it because of the intelligence factor that I mentioned earlier. I'm not saying that people who swear a lot are unintelligent, but too many swears makes it sound as if the person has a limited vocabulary and simply can't think of anything else to say.

...Yes, indeed, limited vocabulary and can't think of anything else to say. Smile
Zaini wrote:
Why is the need to use swear word ? There are so many beautiful & full of maningful language or word in this whole wide world.

Are we so self-concious that we want to sound smart or street legit by using swear word ? Is it a must to express ourselves ? Why can't we express ourselves, anger or otherwise, by using a much better word ?

I'll respect someone that can use a beautiful language or words to express something without resorting to foul language.

...Yes, beautiful and meaningful language is better and more respectable in effectively expressing ourselves to the general listener/reader. Smile
ainieas wrote:
I don't use cuss words. At least I try never to use. I think my this behaviour has in roots in teachings by my parents and elders that only people from lower strata of the society swore or used cuss words. Now I have become this indivisual completely different from my friends who think three swear words in sentence of seven words is "cool". And I'm happy with who I'm.

...Yes, and the beautiful part here is that ainieas is making a big difference; Applause and she is happy with who he/she is. When one is happy there is no pressure. Teachings by parents and elders? I experienced that myself and, now that I am a grown-up, I am starting to believe I owe them a lot for my positive attitude now. And I will be most thankful to them in my later years, when i have my own family with all members speaking clean language everyday. Will it be impossible? I don't think so. Why? They will surely have a model in their father. Dancing

However, Think I need to disagree with raaeft1 in some points when he says…
raaeft1 wrote:
I am a journalist by profession. We are prone to use lots of swear words in our normal behaviour with others. It has become a part of my life to use swear words aplenty especially at home and with close friends and colleagues. My wife and daughter have accepted this.

I respect the poster, but I have relatives and friends who are journalists and/or who belong to families of journalists AND I don’t hear them speak curse/swear language (unless they are quoting from their sources). And, we are constantly reminded that journalists are considered as ‘public’ figures, too, so they should follow some ethical standards including their choice of language. Curse/swear words do not generally fit well in journalism ethics be it on the job, duty or beyond. Neutral
Quote:
However, my relatives were shocked and they gave me a lecture not to use such words. I explained to them that I was not harming anybody by using such expletives but they did not understand.

Shocked I don't understand either. While I can’t understand why the respectable poster presumed he is not ‘harming’ anybody. Well, maybe physically, but how about the emotional side of the person? That explains the lecture from the shocked (unharmed?) relatives. I hope they are my relatives, too. The family accepting (no alternative) it is different from a family that is happy living with it. Smile

Idea Again, we may have different ways to see things. We may differ in opinions and views but these differences will never take away my high respect for worthy posters. Mine are just nothing but sincere personal opinion.

And this personal opinion includes …

Wink If you can’t avoid bursting into curse/swear words, then at least be responsible enough to see who’s around and whom you are talking to, as these kinds of words are generally offensive to the people who are not used to hearing them and who prefer to converse under a tranquil and civil atmosphere. Or else, try to face a mirror in the privacy of your room and, with all might and greatest intensity you can muster, blow all your curse/swear words to the figure infront of you. Then have peace … Smile

Finally, you can a find lot of usage of curse/swear words in un-moderated chatrooms, discussion rooms, game rooms, etc. But some refined and better versioned RPG’s and discussion boards (like Frihost's) have filters for inappropriate words. That only suggests one thing, curse/swear words have negative effects in general; and human interaction (including discussions and games) can be done better and more effective without them. Just a point to ponder; read the quality posts here at Frihost forum and you will understand me better when I say that it is always better to read posts containing clean content including the use of appropriate clean language. Much of the credits must go to the moderators for keeping the forum decent, devoid of vulgar (including curse/swear) words and other ‘abnormalities’ and ‘anomalies’ commonly found in virtual discussion world. That is not censorship. That is not taking away your freedom to speak your 'language'. That is not suppression of your right to express your mind. What these moderators have been painstakingly doing day and night is … moderating. And they have done it better here at Frihost than in any other forum sites that I have visited. Applause

Thanks for keeping it clean Frihost…
Vegetalzis
Well, i used not to speak any cursing words, why? Honestly, i was just trying to be different, like (everyone talks it, da hell should i?). Now i do, modderately, and of course, depends on who am i talking with.

Why do i say it now? Well, its kind of funny, and also, it helps me to express my self (just like when u learn new words), however, i never use when having a discussion (i mean a fight) whith someone, i just think its useless and makes things worse in this case. So, to simplify, i only use it on the "air", and use it on friends to, when i know they dont feel harassed.

About swearing ? I used to do a lot some years ago (not telling why Razz), honestly, none of them worked (lol). At that time i really believed that swearing to god (or to my self) would make me force to do something (so naive wasnt i?). Now i dont do it anymore, why? First of all, if someone will only believe me if i swear, that person doesnt trust me, so, jus go to hell, second, swearing will only work if u believe that something bad will happen if u dont do that, u have to be either very religious or very naive, and im none, so, just doesnt work.
Keran
I use swear words every day and at almost every place. For me it's normal addition to the language, nothing unusual
ainieas
tidruG wrote:
now that you consider yourself to be an individual, capable of thinking by yourself, without peer pressure... do you consider that only people from the lower strata of society use swear words? Why?



I guess that barrier between the lower and higher strata has been broken down in my eyes yet I can't bring me to do something like curse or smoke or drink. At first it might have been the teaching of my parents but in the end I realized I was an indivisual and could think for myself. Still cursing didn't hold that charm for me as my peer group. Like when I grew up I questioned the whole concept of cursing. Does anyone check to see who's around when they curse. I've seen so many elders squirm when youngsters curse and out of no reason. I guess it all had a made an impression on me. Peer pressure or not I'll stick to my principles - they might have been instilled by my parents but they define who I am.
Mannix
Depends on the situation and who I'm around. Around my mother, no. Around little kids, no. At school, on occasion. At my friends house when no one who would be greatly offended is around, hell yeah.
amusic
It is no big deal of speaking any cursing word but it is just that determine how much u respect someone. I won't use any curse word while speaking to senior.
freecitizen
When speaking with friends, of course. But obviously not with "adults," people I'm doing business with or children.

I use it for emphasis, mostly.
Alienz
I used to use curse words alot when I'm small. I know it is bad cursing around that is why I changed.
drdestiny
i do sometimes, but only when im really really angry. The way i see it, if you swear a lot, then it loses its meaning. However, i do swear every once in a while when other words cant really express the shock/outrage/anger/sadness
JJGY
After three years of putting up with middle school I hardly swear anymore. It's just so incredibly tacky how much kids go around using laungauge like that for no reason other than to look cool.
ankur.vatsa
I used to curse a lot while talking to anyone but lately, say since an year or so, I have decided to change my habit and I am glad that all those who would use curse words do not use them with me.

I have also been much more disciplined and people accept me better as how I am now. To those all who use them, I suggest change for a month and with the changes that you will see around you - you will regret why you ever cursed.

I also read Sachin Tendulkar's interview in which he said that he never loses his temper because he never saw his father loose his. I want my kids not to be short tempered like me and for that I have to change a lot. I hope I will be able to make a better person of them.
Ruckus
I swear occasionally, but it's only at times when I am really ticked off at a certain person. And when I do, no one is around to hear it, so I wouldn't get in trouble.
zjosie729
I don't because I think it's dirty and just.. well.. not me. I do have a friend who swears in almost every other sentence.
Josso
Yes I do, usually too much... especially recently.
Blaster
I will admit that I cuss some times. But its not like I say a cuss word in every sentence I speak. I say it when I fell that it is proper to say so. I don't say it to be cool or anything like that. I can't stand the people like that. I will use it when like I'm playing sports and I make a bad pass or something i'll be like shit. But other then that I really dont' curse that much. Its just not something that seams "cool" to me.
EastCoastArmy
I curse an almost excessive amount its just too addicting. I am not as bad as most people though when I cuss it makes sense I am not just throwing it out for no reason I use it to show my thoughts. I will at no point be cought using racial slurrs that may be another time and another place but cursing and that usually go hand in hand I personally find racial slurrs completely wrong and should never be used.
gtherockgod
I do swear a lot, a lot of times completely unnecessarily. I don't really know why, it's like its just become a big part of my vocabulary. I never really swore at all until grade 9...so I guess I've just had to make up for lost time Razz I don't really think too much of it, they're just words after all. I do however, watch my language around some people- my parents (they wouldn't care, but it's just kinda weird using profane language around my parents), little kids, etc.

At least I'm not as vulgar about it as most of my friends.

Lately I've gotten into the habit of throwing random cusses together for HI-LARIOUS effect Smile "Mother crap ass dammit!"
judelover
tidruG wrote:
The question is simple... do you use cuss words in your daily spoken language? If you do, why do you? If you don't, why don't you?


Never when i am talking to respecatable people, or when i am at the office at work, or in such cases as i am talkingto waiters, airstewards, or those i contact "socially".
but when drinking with bosom friends, I do sometimes. I use such words when i'm sure i will not offend (any people that is likely to hear).
onemoment
always!!! unless in front of the grandparents, or people in authority. that could be a bad move.
Panthrowzay
I only swear in context, if i say Fckup it means something basd happend that involves gentlia. if i say s|-|!t it means this is comparable to feces!

then there are words that I make up that are curses literally
my fav is acursion

A Curse on

works nicely only english teachers get it, and they give me propts because its not offensive (yet)
palavra
no because
i think it shows weakness
KoiboySG1
i never curse. i only say chips Instead of sh*t.
arkebuzer
tidruG wrote:
The question is simple... do you use cuss words in your daily spoken language? If you do, why do you? If you don't, why don't you? And do you consider it a big deal to swear?
Under what conditions do you consider it a big deal to swear? Under what conditions do you not consider it a big deal to swear?

Note : I've asked a whole bunch of questions. I'd better not get weak-ass replies such as "Yes, I swear." without any reasons or other opinions, or I will remove your posts and/or lock this topic.


I guess I swear/curse some in my daily talk. I´m not sure if I think it´s good or bad, since it kind of amplifies your expression.
There are some occasions when it´s not ok though, for example if you are representing a company or so you will not seem very professional if you swear. But most of the time it´s ok, as long as it´s not too much.
jon9314
i do . mainly because of my enviroment(started a construction job).i don't in front of my parents or children and try not to in front of my wife. i think it is a big deal and need to stop or cut back
dpdwc12
I don't like to curse because I'm a nice person. However, I say "Oh crap" when I mess up in my videogames. When I was 8, I said the f word and my mom yelled at me not to say it again. I haven't said it again eversince, and I don't plan on saying it again. javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')
busaboss
I don't use such words in my daily living. First of all, I believe it is not ethical to say bad words. Secondly, my parents would get mad at me if they ever found out that I am using bad words and also God will not let me do that because it is a sin. It is just me and I don't know about other people's perspective. Very Happy
Cosmoslayer
Yes, I curse a lot especially when I'm mad! Evil or Very Mad
GuidanceReader
I used to swear all the time and then I became a teacher so stopped doing it, to help prevent slip ups. After I stopped teaching the swearing came back, but then I had children. It didn't stop until my kids started parroting me... Having my 1 year old running to the toilet exclaiming "S***, S***, S***" was amusing though... just the other day I was unpacking some cupboards and I dropped an item. No biggy, but my daughter (who is 3) informs me "You're supposed to say F*** sake. Mummy". Laughing

I don't think it is a big deal to swear, but I do think there are appropriate and inappropriate times. If you are around children or people who you know will find it offensive (i.e. elderly) then you shouldn't swear. I also think that it should be used in the correct context, not just as every second word to try and sound impressive (as my brother does).

When I was a kid, my parents said I was only allowed to use a swear word if I knew its true definition and used it in it's correct context.
Hello_World
I swear all the time, around people I like. It is a quick and easy way to express that you are feeling comfortable and that you feel you are around friends.

I don't swear much at places like work, because I am not aiming to be casual, casual is for social occasions. And almost never to customers.

I don't swear much when I write because it rarely adds to my point, although sometimes I do.

I don't swear around my Grandmother because she finds it disrespectful, as do most older people. I don't swear around older people. I don't swear to offend people.

I almost never swear AT anyone, I try not to get that angry at people, and if I do, there is no need to carry on in that manner. (Except the case below.)

Sometimes I get offended though if someone who is not elderly tells me they are offended at my language. They usually get the response, "****** off."

I have never, ever, EVER found ANY correlation between people who swear/don't swear and 'niceness' nor 'ethicality'.

And the swear words I use are NEVER related to race. THAT I would find offensive.

Swearing is certainly not a big deal, it is pretty much nothing at all. Some of the most offensive things are not swear words at all. I can't understand how people get offended, what do they do, live in a cave and never emerge? How do they get through their lives getting offended all the time? Sounds annoying to be them. And maybe that offends someone, but look! No swearing yet (slightly) offensive. Surprise.
menino
I swear only when something shocking happens to me, like when I hit my toe or leg on a hard or sharp surface, or something terrible has happened to my friends.
Usually I accomodate my swearing by using alternative words like "fudge", or "geez", or "sheesh".
Still, my friends think I'm a nice guy.
BigGeek
Yes I use cuss words, I agree with the line from the old movie "To Kill a Mockingbird" where the lawyer said, "I use profanity because there are so few words in the English language to express myself with, I need to take advantage of all of them" Cool

Sure cussing might be unacceptable in many environments and a person needs to know when they can cuss and when they cannot, and have enough control over their vocabulary to abstain from cussing when in a situation that prohibits it. But, when the situation dictates, cuss away. Shocked

I have been accused of cussing like a sailor, which I take the opportunity to let the person know that I served in the US Marine Corp, and I do not cuss like a sailor, I cuss like a Marine.....Semper Fi Very Happy

If you've ever been around military personnel you have probably noticed they cuss quite a bit, except they all seem to have control over the use of profanity, and can refrain in an instant when needed. It seems to be an acceptable practice especially among the officers in any branch of service Shocked
psychorollercoaster
I swear wen m angry, frustrated or just generally in bad mood. But only when i am among friends or by myself. I dont think i use those words in front of elderly ppl or parents...plainly out of respect
Vanilla
tidruG wrote:
The question is simple... do you use cuss words in your daily spoken language? If you do, why do you? If you don't, why don't you? And do you consider it a big deal to swear?
Under what conditions do you consider it a big deal to swear? Under what conditions do you not consider it a big deal to swear?

Note : I've asked a whole bunch of questions. I'd better not get weak-ass replies such as "Yes, I swear." without any reasons or other opinions, or I will remove your posts and/or lock this topic.


I tend to curse A LOT. It's already a part of who I am. I don't know if it's the all-male environment or just my nature, but I'm trying hard to control myself because my teacher corrected me when I said "s***". He told me that kind of language was not adequate to a professional and told me that I should say "feces" instead. I was like "Bi***, please! If I say something like that, the guys are going to treat me as a sissy little girl!" but I didn't say a thing. Razz I don't care much about cursing. To be fair, the only place where I'm worried about cursing is here. They're just words, and they're an important part of my colorful vocabulary.

Near my teachers, I try not to curse too, but sometimes the words just slip. Sometimes I just curse in English (when I'm near to oversensitive people that don't understand English). Or I just try to curse only in my head. It's hard, but I'm trying to keep my mouth shut in some situations.

Just picture a cow running in your direction. The first thing that I would scream is GET THE F*** OUT OF HERE!" instead of "Would you please get away? I think this cow is trying to hit you.".
kocoblue
I never swear around people i do not know (<1 year). It make a very bad image of yourself. as for friends i swear and curse very much all the time.

to be honest i like bitch insults rather than cursing, thou this has gotten me into problem where people think im gay
TheGremlyn
I supposed it depends on the group I'm with. When I can go through spells of not swearing and then I will swear under my breath a lot... often because I'm in a boss fight for a game. If the group of friends I hang out with doesn't swear then I don't swear. I remember times when it would have been so long that when I did swear I'd be all shocked and apologetic. Other times when the friends I would hang out with swear a lot I would be right there cursing like no other... I would never swear in front of my parents unless I was REALLY pissed about something... But I would never swear at them like if the words were directed at them, rather than just about something else and I just said them. I would also never swear at work. Even under pressure I don't swear and I rarely get angry enough to yell at someone.
inuyasha
I don't use them quite often in my daily life, which somehow makes yourself less polite. I'm not sure if it applies to English as well, but people would be more impolite(or just more casual, perhaps?) when they are with their close friends only and use some impolite words(Um.... That's not curse, but some words related to one's family members or sometimes private parts) in Chinese. And in this case it usually just indicates a good relationship.
However, these words are never acceptable when you are talking to your parents, teachers or strangers.

PS: As a non-native English speaker, I thought there were few curse words in English. Textbooks will never tell you such things~ Wink
deanhills
inuyasha wrote:
Textbooks will never tell you such things~ Wink
You'll find them in dictionaries however. Twisted Evil

I use the odd swear word mostly when I am alone. Nothing as satisfying as a really strong swear word when I've stubbed my toe against something. Including kicking it too if it were an inanimate object.
catscratches
deanhills wrote:
Including kicking it too if it were an inanimate object.
I think I know why you keep stubbing your toe against hard objects.


A healthy dose of swears is an important addition to any vocabulary.
kenxeiko
When I was about 13 years old or later, I always use curse words ...
Actually I use it just because my other friends use it too ...
So I'm thinking, why not ...

After pass my school, I almost never use curse words anymore ...
pauline5765
I don't. And if I had a slip of the tongue and did say a curse word, it's really really rare. The reason is really simple though.

"Don't do unto others what you don't want to do unto you."

I don't like being cursed. So I don't curse.
Bluedoll
Everyone has used swear words. Most people consider it as not a big deal when it comes out after you hit you head on the open cupboard door or if someone is drunk or enraged with anger. They have little meaning.

As far as words are concerned a curse word can have power in the right hands but little in another.

Some who have authority or are suppose to be professionals such as businessmen, lawyers or politicians do use such words. Here is an example.

“Bill, I would submit that proposal but cover your ass too.”

I’ve heard this expression used by so called bosses. Unless I am wrong, this is jailhouse talk and I don’t think I need to give a full description of what it means. Simple. Professionals are devaluing their position and themselves by using this kind of language.
deanhills
Well said Bluedoll.
jesta
It really depends on the enviroment
You probably will not catch me cursing near my parents.
Actually, even among friends there are several ways of behavior.
Insanity
I agree. It depends on the environment. There are places and times when you shouldn't cuss, and there are times when it is appropriate, maybe even expected. It's all about where you are. Also, it may be more allowable if the situation calls for it, like if you just received some shocking news or something bad just happened, or you want to register your anger at someone. I think the fact that they are prohibited for the most part gives it more weight when you want to say something strongly against someone.
spinout
Ok, to ease the pressure of the mind!! to say words are great!!!

Hm, I have even done karate leg kicks to walls - ahh feels good!!!

Stupid? yes, but feels gooooood!
Peterssidan
I don't use swear words. At least that's what I want to think. I have noticed that people has different opinions on what's a swear word. I remember a friend's mother that thought that if it was used as a swear word, it was a swear word. I don't really agree. I sometimes say frog (in Swedish) instead of using a real swear word and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Then there are words that sounds similar to real swear words but doesn't mean anything. I have been using some of these but not all people like them so I guess I should try to not use them.
darthrevan
No not really I don't unless I am really mad. I don't want to cuss because I was raised not to and I view it as a bad thing.
deanhills
I use it when I'm on my own. But probably not the really bad swear words. Sometimes when I've stubbed a toe, the F word just sounds about right. I'm not good with swear words in company. Just doesn't sound right. Probably because I've been raised that way. Although my dad did do a lot of cussing in the rare occasion when he was trying to fix plumbing. Mostly Dutch swear words though.
Trigonomicationalistic
Embarassed Yes but I am careful when I swear I dont just cuss someone out and there are a few curse words I dont use *mainly cuzz religion*. Do I want to stop swearing? Yes, but its harder then I thought Sad
deanhills
Trigonomicationalistic wrote:
Yes, but its harder then I thought Sad
Right. They do have a spontaneity of their own don't they? Before you know it, they're out and you can't get them back. Very Happy
shamm
I don't cuss because I grew up in church and the Bible says that you shouldn't cuss, unless you are meaning it in a good way.

Ephesians 4:29 says "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers."

I honestly do think it's a big deal because it is a sin, but I do hear it all the time so I don't really do anything about it even though it bugs me, I'm not going to end it. Plus, I think some people only cuss to make themselves sound "fancy." But some people on the Internet do it either because they can't think of anything else better to say or they want to be funny.
jajarvin
How many different words are there in English? 75000, 100000 are more?

It were silly if you did not use all english language richness.
That's the reason why I do not curse so often.
Bikerman
The problem with swearing is that too much is WAY too much.
Swearing is like Heroin and other industrial strength pharmaceuticals - you should avoid where possible and use when you REALLY NEED them. I'm no moralist, this is pragmatism. Imagine you develop a nice little heroin habit, then, like me, you bin a motorbike and cause serious grief to just about every part of your body....left side broken (all ribs, lung collapsed, leg minor fractures and heavy gravel rash, shoulder broken. My body was basically black and some interesting shades of infra-purple over about 50%. When they stabilised me I had a tube in my lung - inserting that is the single most painful thing EVER and I don't care WHAT women say about childbirth - this was worse. Anyhoo, I was somewhat discomforted and ready to welcome a little pain relief. So they hit me with big daddy morph and I tell you I have never been so happy that I didn't dabble with it as a student. I got the full, no tolerance, benefit, and without it I don't know how and if I could have dealt with the pain. So don't do smack - save it for when you REALLY need it and there is nothing stronger...
Same for swearing. When you hit a thumb with a hammer, you HAVE to swear - it would be inhuman not to. But swear too much and the effect is diminished. It can also have two other unpleasant consequences. Ever heard Scouse (Liverpudian) woman in conversation in some of the more basic parts of Liverpool? Swear words, normally the F*** word, is used as a punctuation mark - it is used as a comma.
Don't know about others, but BIG turn-off for me...people f'ing and blinding, literally two or three cuss words per sentence....very ugly....

Finally, you can get habituated and forget in embarrassing situations. I used to use a phrase quite a lot which was designed to shock and finish an argument before it got going (when I was a student I ran security on the discos and private bars in the SU, and half the students were PE teachers in training (the 'joggers' as we called them)...so stopping bother before it got serious was key.
The phrase was v very blunt and unambiguously told the person, in Anglo Saxon expletives, where he/she could put their head for maximum satisfaction on my part and maximum enjoyment for everyone else....
Trouble was, when came time for my Teaching Practice I had been using this phrase a lot. Apparently I was overheard by a group of 14yr olds telling their would-be-leader to stick his head up his mothers ..... well, you can probably guess enough of the rest.....
I had no memory of it at all - I would NEVER use even mild swearing in front of a class...bad bad bad. In this case I was lucky that it either got no further or was no believed by the other staff...
I'll say one thing though...that class were the best behaved of any of my older groups, by a country MILE, for the 6 weeks of teaching practice....Smile
deanhills
Haha .... GREAT post Chris. I must say a swear word when one is at the apex of anger (mostly at self), like stubbing a toe or doing something seriously stupid, does have the power of morphine. Just has the knack of taking the edge off the hurt. Another instance where it helps for me is to mutter a really rich swear word when I've been irritated by people who do really dumb things like blocking doorways or bumping into me when they're on their cell phones without being aware of anyone else. Does make me feel a bit better. Only thing I don't like is to write swear words. Not sure why. They just feel much better when spoken and used as sparingly as you suggested, spontaneously and with lots of passion.
watersoul
Swear words are usually in the dictionary so they are just tools in the box for me.
I use the appropriate tools for whatever job I'm on, and likewise the appropriate choice of words for any given situation I'm in. The way I may chat banter with lads on a construction site will certainly differ to how I conduct myself in a business meeting.

I think the context of delivery and consideration of the audience receiving a word is often more important than the word itself.
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.