FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is the SciFi Channel worth watching anymore?

Is the SciFi channel a joke?
Yes, it's a joke.
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
No, it could be better, but I still like it.
44%
 44%  [ 8 ]
No, it rocks.
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 18

HoboPelican
Is there any thing worth watching on SciFi Channel anymore? I keep turning to it out of habit, but these days all I see are infomercials, movies not good enough to watch seriously and not bad enough to watch for laughs, and sweaty guys in speedos hugging each other (ECW). WTF? Is there nothing else for them to show? Yeah, Battlestar is not bad, but it's one of the few things worth watching on that channel.

So what do you think? Is the SciFi channel a joke these days or not.
xorcist
What I dont get is why ECW is on Scifi now, But the movies on Scifi seems old and boring and it looks like they play the movies alot. But like the last 2 days they were showing some good movies, and on weekends they show some good movies.
Shike
For me the Sci Fi channel is worth watching for Stargate-SG1, Stargate: Atlantis, and reruns of Firefly.
Osprey
I can't stand watching Sci-Fi channel ever since I got an HDTV. Their quality is the worst out of all our channels on Dish Network, I've heard it's just as bad on DirectTV too. I found Battlestar Galactica on Universal HD and never turned on Sci-Fi again. The video compression is really bad and the black levels are way off. If Sci-Fi were in HD I would watch it all the time.

You would think a channel dedicated to Science Fiction would be a natural choice to broadcast in HD.

BTW: Battlestar Galactica in HD looks amazing!
rightclickscott
I just wish they brought Farscape and I-Man back, those were some awsome shows.

Quote:
What I dont get is why ECW is on Scifi now...

It's because USA has the rights to all of the WWE's shows, and since Sci-Fi is part of USA, they throw ECW on Sci-Fi and called it tv, when it just doesn't belong on Sci-Fi. Then again, there aren't any good shows on anymore and it atleast brings in ratings.

Ehh, atleast it's better than the Disney Channel. Then again, that's not saying much.
Jupernia
I think Sci-fi has taken shoved there head too far up there buts. so to speck. They have a nasty habit of ending great shows too soon, and they blame it on lack-luster rateings, which for the most part is just not true. But I don't watch Sci-Fi anymore..it's not worth watching in my opinion.
jenice
Granted, I don't watch Sci-Fi nearly as much as I used to, but part of that is my lack of time these days.

I watch the channel on Fridays to see Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Gallactica, and Eureka.

Ever so often a movie will come along that catches my interest, but so many of them these days are originals that are too cheesy even for me (and this coming from a person whose family has nick-named her "the queen of cheesy scifi).
pansophia
Someone should launch a new upstart rival Sci Fi channel - then the science fiction viewing audience can vote with their feet (probably in a stampede) to watch the channel that actually loves sci fi.
HoboPelican
I still watch it for Eureka, Stargate and Battlestar, but that is pretty much the extent of my viewing. The movies are, typically, horrible, but not bad enough to enjoy. If I wanted to watch wrestling...well, I guess I would have to ask the wife to put me down. Fear Factor should be called Grossout factor. The paranormal "reality"shows just don't interest me. Yeah, I think a real Sci-Fi network would be a great thing.
ChrisCh
Foxtel are launching an Australian Sci-Fi Channel on December 1... so hopefully it won't be as lame as the US one!
SGbilder
SciFi used to be great but lost a lot when they cancelled farscape. i feel they should bring that one back and cancel stargate sg-1 cause that show has gone from decent to terrible... atlantis on the other hand still feels pretty fresh tho it has nothing on farscape. so thats my vote: bring back farscape and cancel SG-1... plus they should try getting a wider selection of movies, it can get pretty repetitive sometimes when they show the same movie four times in a week. plus it would give them a bonus if they started airing other movies and shows than the standard scifi story. could perhaps get som alternative shows? just thinking outloud... anyho have a good one everybody!
rightclickscott
Farscape was pretty awesome, but I'd be really afraid if they brought it back, because when they did bring it back to do the Peacekeeper Wars, it sucked major balls. Besides, I loved the original ending to it, because it had the real Farscape ending. Everything is all perfect and happy, and then, bam, they get blasted into a thousand pieces. Car Dargo screams like a little girl, and then it says To Be Continued. That was an awesome ending, and they should have kept it that way!
MYP415
I used to watch sci-fi occasionally but in the past few months I have basically stopped watching it because there is never anything good on
wumingsden
Hmmm ... sounds like Sci-Fi in the US and Sci-Fi in the UK are a little different - or at least them don't show wrestling on that channel in the UK.

They do however air a show called Medium (I think its called) which is actually quite excellent. It's about ... erm .... a medium believe it or not, who works with the police to solve murders.

All the Stargates are aired (personally I don't think their worth being aired but this is just my opinion) and the Back To The Future films are always on. The films at 10pm are sometimes ok, which is then followed by an Emmanuelle film -

All in all I hardly watch Sci-Fi to be honest ...

and P.S . If you want to watch scary/horror films that are actually very funny (without meaning to be) then I suggest watching the channel Zone Horror, they have some of the most ridiculous films.
RT Cunningham
The best part of the Sci-Fi channel are the real short ads "If".

I first went to Sci-Fi when Sliders was moved from Fox to Sci-Fi. That was a waste of time because Slider went downhill from there.

I tuned out of Sci-Fi for years until I was convinced to start watching Stargate SG1. I had completely forgotten about it because it started out on Showtime and I hadn't had Showtime in years.

I only watch SG1, Atlantis, Galactica, and Eureka from Sci-Fi now and I have to download the episodes to even get them. My other favorites come from broadcast networks: Smallville, Heroes, and now maybe Dexter.

And ladies and gents, that is also the extent of my TV viewing. Point me to a series that isn't crap and I might check it out.
jenice
wumingsden wrote:
Hmmm ... sounds like Sci-Fi in the US and Sci-Fi in the UK are a little different - or at least them don't show wrestling on that channel in the UK.

They do however air a show called Medium (I think its called) which is actually quite excellent. It's about ... erm .... a medium believe it or not, who works with the police to solve murders.

Interesting. Medium in the US airs on (I think) NBC. There's a few shows out there now that I think would do better on sci-fi.
HoboPelican
Actually, is there another SciFi channel in the states? I seem to remember seeing a different channel devoted to SciFi on a business trip a few years back.

@wumingsden - I wonder what sort of shows you have on your SciFi channel. Might be a preview of what is going to show up over here eventually. Wink

Some of the bigger shows on here are:
Eureka (not bad, has potential)
Battlestar Galactica
Dr. Who
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis
The 4400 (is this on hiatus?)
Ghosthunters (never watched this, it just sounds silly)
and a slew of syndicated SciFi shows from the past.
and of course, the awful ECW, a "wrestling" show.
rightclickscott
HoboPelican wrote:
Actually, is there another SciFi channel in the states? I seem to remember seeing a different channel devoted to SciFi on a business trip a few years back.

@wumingsden - I wonder what sort of shows you have on your SciFi channel. Might be a preview of what is going to show up over here eventually. Wink

Battlestar Galactica
Dr. Who
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis

Yes, there is a SciFi channel in the US. Pretty much every show you listed is on our channel. I doubt there are any major differences between the SciFi in the US and the SciFi in the UK. I just think it's ironic that the actual SciFi channel is owned by the USA network.
HoboPelican
rightclickscott wrote:

Yes, there is a SciFi channel in the US. Pretty much every show you listed is on our channel. I doubt there are any major differences between the SciFi in the US and the SciFi in the UK. I just think it's ironic that the actual SciFi channel is owned by the USA network.

Sorry, Scott. I should have made it more obvious that I was wondering about a 2nd SciFi channel in the states.. I could have sworn that I saw a different one, but for the life of me I cant remember what it was called...or if I just made it up.
wumingsden
jenice wrote:
wumingsden wrote:

Interesting. Medium in the US airs on (I think) NBC. There's a few shows out there now that I think would do better on sci-fi.

Medium is sometimes shown on channel one here (BBC1), but I believe the new episodes are aired on Sci-Fi.

HoboPelican wrote:

Battlestar Galactica
Dr. Who
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis

Wrestling isn't shown on the Sci-Fi channel here (thank god). The 4400 is shown on skyOne, Dr. Who (the new british version) is shown on BB1 and UKTV Gold (I think its called; only the repeats). I've heard of Eureka, I cannot remember which channel this is on though (if any).

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica and all of the other shows like this are also shown on Sci-Fi. I really do not like them though. A show called "FireFly", I believe is shown on Sci-Fi here, ever heard of it?

One show that I forgot to include is Mysterious Ways, which is absolutely fantastic
HoboPelican
wumingsden wrote:
Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica and all of the other shows like this are also shown on Sci-Fi. I really do not like them though. A show called "FireFly", I believe is shown on Sci-Fi here, ever heard of it?

One show that I forgot to include is Mysterious Ways, which is absolutely fantastic

Sounds like you have everything we have (except for wrestling, you lucky SOB) PLUS Mysterious Ways. Looking forward to it showing up here in a few years.

Firefly was great! Easily one of my favorite SciFi shows. I got whole series on DVD.
bluefossil
I really liked eUREKA. Battlestar Galactica, I recently got into Stargate.
Firefly was awesome. too bad I missed it while it was on. but since I have seen all the episodes including those that did not air. and saw Serenity. And Doctor Who is pretty good. I enjoy it anyway.
jenice
wumingsden wrote:
A show called "FireFly", I believe is shown on Sci-Fi here, ever heard of it?

Yes, Firefly played here. Originally we got it on Fox, but they replayed it on SciFi for a bit. I don't think they're doing re-runs of it anymore. Fantastic show though.

HoboPelican wrote:

Sorry, Scott. I should have made it more obvious that I was wondering about a 2nd SciFi channel in the states.. I could have sworn that I saw a different one, but for the life of me I cant remember what it was called...or if I just made it up.

I've heard rumors that some wanted to start another SciFi channel because of the way things were going at the one we have now, but nothing solid. At least, I've not seen anything in my digital cable programming. If there is another channel, I'd love to see it. The only thing I can think of is there's a cable station, I don't remember what, that plays a lot of Star Trek re-runs. They have re-runs of a lot of non-science fiction shows though, so I don't think it's specific to that genre.