FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Rediculous General Discussion rules.





Marston
WickedGravity wrote:
As of now, all posts relating to the following topics will be considered spam and locked and deleted accordingly.

1. All subjects pertaining to "My/Your Favorite"

2. Any Polls That Have Been Posted Before, Or Are Irrelevant Attempts At Spam

3. Any Questions on Gender/Location/Job/Hobbies

4. Favorite Movies/Books/Music - Post them in the appropriate forum.

5. Something or Something Posts. Basically, any post comparing something to something else, or asking which of the two is better.
Examples - CD-R or DVD-R?

6. All subjects corresponding to "What do you think of [X] ?", "What is your ....-est [X]?", "Do you like [X]?"

7. All subjects containing the word "IF" are doomed to have a lot of spam replies. With "IF" you can make up endless sorts of situations which "could" happen. Please refrain from posting IF-topics, they will only be allowed IF they have a point.

This list will be updated as needed by the appropriate staff members.
I can understand numbers 2, 3, 4 and possibly 7, but the rest of these rules (in my opinion) should be removed. I don't even understand the reasoning behind most of these rules.
Quote:
1. All subjects pertaining to "My/Your Favorite"
Why not? What possible harm could posting "My/Your Favourite" topics do? None that I can think of. I mean I suppose they could take up space, but so do the hundreds of posts about "Free Domains" in the Domains forum (there are several other similar examples).
Quote:
5. Something or Something Posts. Basically, any post comparing something to something else, or asking which of the two is better.
Examples - CD-R or DVD-R?
Why not let people compare things in GD? Again, it's not doing any harm. Where's the harm in polling people in GD whether they like rain or sun, winter or summer?
Quote:
6. All subjects corresponding to "What do you think of [X] ?", "What is your ....-est [X]?", "Do you like [X]?"
I think this is the silliest one. Why can't you ask what any of these things? Many of them would make for wonderful discussions.

Seriously, very few of the above rules make sense- maybe at some point they did, but either they've become obsolete, or they were always pretty pointless... Either way, I'd like to suggest that numbers 1, 5, and 6 be removed.
mathiaus
They are there to reduce spam. Far too often people reply with very short sentances and even one words. There have however been cases where these topics have been allowed to remain because their was good descussion, unfortunatly it often is just spam though.
tidruG
Marston wrote:
Quote:
1. All subjects pertaining to "My/Your Favorite"
Why not? What possible harm could posting "My/Your Favourite" topics do? None that I can think of. I mean I suppose they could take up space, but so do the hundreds of posts about "Free Domains" in the Domains forum (there are several other similar examples).

Example question : "Your favourite browser:"
Possible/probable replies:
  • Opera!!!
  • Firefox is the best!!!!!! Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy
  • Firefox takes too long to load, I use IE... simple and easy to use.
  • IE is for nubs :Twisted: www.getfirefox.com!!!
  • OMG!!! YOU STILL USE IE??? GET FIREFOX NOW!!

We had to stop those. You can expect pretty much similar replies for any "Your favourite ---" topic.
Quote:
Quote:
5. Something or Something Posts. Basically, any post comparing something to something else, or asking which of the two is better.
Examples - CD-R or DVD-R?
Why not let people compare things in GD? Again, it's not doing any harm. Where's the harm in polling people in GD whether they like rain or sun, winter or summer?

Because these threads receive only 1-word answers, mostly...
People only post their choice, without generally giving their reasons for choosing that or anything.
Quote:
Quote:
6. All subjects corresponding to "What do you think of [X] ?", "What is your ....-est [X]?", "Do you like [X]?"
I think this is the silliest one. Why can't you ask what any of these things? Many of them would make for wonderful discussions.

I wouldn't want to remove this topic. I'd rather make it subjective to deal with it case by case, as point number 7. The reason is...
Example question -- What do you think of foobar?
Typical spam replies:
  • It sucks!!
  • Get Winamp!
  • It's awesome!!!
  • I've been using foo bar for 6 years, it's the best
  • Winamp 2.95 is better
  • Nice software, thanks for sharing


Quote:
Seriously, very few of the above rules make sense- maybe at some point they did, but either they've become obsolete, or they were always pretty pointless... Either way, I'd like to suggest that numbers 1, 5, and 6 be removed.

I hope they make sense now.
I'm actually wondering why we have number 7 there... I'd infact have removed it, but note the Moderator who added it has stated that "they will only [/b]be allowed IF they have a point.[/b]"
datter
I find the rules and moderation around here slightly towards the annoying side, but that said I understand why things are as they are.

The business model of this place is based on people signing up for free webspace on the condition that they participate in the forum. The point there being that we (the users) will see the ads here and hopefully click some thus generating revenue for Frihost. It's a unique and novel idea, and I think it's got merit.

So, provide free webhosting and set up a forum for people to use where ads appear. Simple? No. People won't use the forum, they'll just leech the free webspace. That being the case it has to be a mandate that people MUST use the forum, thus the points per post. Problems solved right? Well, no. Now that people MUST use the forum to keep their free web account active you'll have nearly everyone posting garbage posts, not because they want to take part in the forum... but just to keep their account open.

This is about where Frihost stands as near as I can tell.

Set up free hosting. Done.
Set up a forum. Done.
Mandate that people MUST use the forum. Done.
Devise countless rules and regulations about forum usage to prevent people from spamming the place just to keep their account open. Done.

It may not make for the most user friendly forum conducive to community building, but it strikes me that it's got to be done this way, at least for the time being.

Ideally a community will develop here that people will WANT to take part in... not for the free webspace, but because it's an active and vibrant community that people generally want to contribute to. I don't think it's there yet, but hopefully this forum will grow into that eventually.

Perhaps then the heavy, heavy moderation that goes on around here might lighten up, and perhaps the countless rules and guidelines might be relaxed as well. Until then, we all must abide by the laws set forth by those who own the forum. You don't have to like it, you just have to accept it as part of the deal... and it's a pretty damned sweet deal if you ask me.

All of use should just do our best to post thoughtfully, and build the community up around here so it can grow into something better and perhaps less moderated in the future.

My 2cents.

datter
socialoutcast
Quote:
Ideally a community will develop here that people will WANT to take part in... not for the free webspace, but because it's an active and vibrant community that people generally want to contribute to. I don't think it's there yet, but hopefully this forum will grow into that eventually.

Perhaps then the heavy, heavy moderation that goes on around here might lighten up, and perhaps the countless rules and guidelines might be relaxed as well. Until then, we all must abide by the laws set forth by those who own the forum. You don't have to like it, you just have to accept it as part of the deal... and it's a pretty damned sweet deal if you ask me.


Well said, Datter. I agree that frihost should be and remain a free and poen community of users. But with the heavy moderation and strict forum rules we (the users) are so limited in the vast and creative way we can express ourselves. Some people would like to use the forums without the threat of having their posts deleted, IP addresses blocked or just banned. That's not moderation, but a dictatorship which is corrupting the spirit of the discussion forums in which is desired by frihost.

I joined Frihost and agreed to activitly participate in the forums to maintain the discussions. These forum rules listed above, are a restriction to the very nature of discussion.

Quote:
Set up free hosting. Done.
Set up a forum. Done.
Mandate that people MUST use the forum. Done.
Devise countless rules and regulations about forum usage to prevent people from spamming the place just to keep their account open. Done.


Nice summery of frihost. I too hope the current reputation of frihost is able to change in a matter that we (the users) can be free to use the forums and be free to discuss issues, ask others questions, and help one another out. You see, this is what a community is. This is what frihost should be promothing.
_________________________
"Junior Admins, with such administrative powers, comes a responcibility to its people."

-Another user's discussion
socialoutcast
Quote:
Far too often people reply with very short sentances and even one words.


Not all short sentices are spam.
Some even have marit.

Quote:
... unfortunatly it often is just spam though.


Let's not quinch the spirit of discussion because of short sentices. After all, when someone replies by saying, "that's awsome," or something like that, it shouldn't be considered spam, but rather what happen in that EXAMPLE is that a comradery has been established and community is being constructed.

_________________
-keeping the discussion alive
Bockman
socialoutcast we are NOT claiming that all short replies are pure spam.

Unfortunately, the large (and this means 90%+) of those kind of replies are pure waste of database space, users time and our time too.
I take it you can't be aware of this since most of those spam posts are removed before most of the users notice it, and that's why you think we're being unfair towards the users.
You may notice that we do let some short posts stay (that would be WHEN they have something to add to the discussion).

These rules are there simply because the majority of those posts/topics were simply spam on the forums and took us most of our time moderating (and believe me, we have a lot more to do on the forums besides moderating a "How think about TV samsung" topic (please notice that i did NOT make that topic up, it existed)

Be Well Cool
tidruG
Quote:
Ideally a community will develop here that people will WANT to take part in... not for the free webspace, but because it's an active and vibrant

community that people generally want to contribute to. I don't think it's there yet, but hopefully this forum will grow into that eventually.

I believe such a community does exist here. Only, there are those who want to take the easy way out by posting too short messages or copying and pasting from

other sites, etc etc. Then, there are others who rebel against the staff only because people like to think that any authority likes to control people. The

truth is that we want you to be as free with your posts as possible.
We just have to prevent certain things in order to:
a. Avoid getting into legal messes (thus we need the use of quote tags as well as a link to the original site)
b. Avoid boring people who like real debates (you should see some of the threads in the Religion and Philosophy forums which have spawned some really

interesting debates. I loved to just read through them... most times, I'd just read it without even replying, and still thoroughly enjoy the threads)
c. Avoid letting people have it too easy with the points. They are some people who put in hours of efforts behind their posts, formatting their text,

including images which they have to upload to either imageshack or their own sites, etc etc, and in my opinion, it's rather unfair when someone comes in with

a weak-ass short little reply and still manages to keep his account safe.

Quote:
Perhaps then the heavy, heavy moderation that goes on around here might lighten up, and perhaps the countless rules and guidelines might be relaxed as

well.

You should remember one thing... those whose posts are good are generally not bothered at all by the rules. Only those whose posts are bad or who are

genuinely thoroughly uninterested in the forums may have issues with the rules.

If you have any doubts over why a rule is in place, you can send me a PM any time. Alternately, you can open a topic here if you like. This would not only

get your doubts cleared, it would probably also help us review our rules and make necessary alterations or remove the rule, if required.
(However, please don't bring up all the rules Wink... try to first think of why a rule may be in place.)

socialoutcast wrote:
But with the heavy moderation and strict forum rules we (the users) are so limited in the vast and creative way we can express

ourselves.
Strangely, you're the first person to have ever complained about that.

Quote:
Some people would like to use the forums without the threat of having their posts deleted, IP addresses blocked or just banned.
Most people are

not under the threat of having their posts removed or deleted, unless you're pretty sure you've posted it in the wrong place, or if you're pretty sure that

you have broken a rule.
People only feel guilty because of their own actions, you know.
By the way, we don't delete or remove posts because it gives us a kick. We remove them based on rules. We also don't ban or block IPs unless the case goes

out of hand. Seeind as how you're only 31 posts old here, I'd suggest you learn how things are done here before making outrageous statements such as

Quote:
That's not moderation, but a dictatorship which is corrupting the spirit of the discussion forums in which is desired by frihost.
Yet again,

I'd like to point out that it seems to be only you (and perhaps very few other members who have personal issues with the moderators here) who seem to think

so. Even datter above you said he can understand why the rules are in place, even if they seem a little annoying.

Quote:
I joined Frihost and agreed to activitly participate in the forums to maintain the discussions. These forum rules listed above, are a restriction to

the very nature of discussion.

That's your opinion.
However, in mine (and most of the users') opinion, posts such as:
Quote:
* Opera!!!
* Firefox is the best!!!!!! Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy
* Firefox takes too long to load, I use IE... simple and easy to use.
* IE is for nubs :Twisted: www.getfirefox.com!!!
* OMG!!! YOU STILL USE IE??? GET FIREFOX NOW!!

or
Quote:
* It sucks!!
* Get Winamp!
* It's awesome!!!
* I've been using foo bar for 6 years, it's the best
* Winamp 2.95 is better
* Nice software, thanks for sharing
definitely are spam.

Quote:
..I too hope the current reputation of frihost is...

Surprising... most of the users here have a rather good impression of our forums. You could start a Frihost-bashing thread to see that. I'll admit that there are some members who may flame you simply to "kiss ass", as the expression goes, but quite a lot of the other members are already hosted comfortably and won't get anything more by kissing ass, so I take their posts seriously.

Quote:
Not all short sentices are spam.
Some even have marit.

Maybe that's why mathiaus said
Quote:
There have however been cases where these topics have been allowed to remain because their was good descussion, unfortunatly it often is just spam though.
Note that he said "often" and not "always". Also note that he said a few of those topics were left open as well.
datter
Quote:
so. Even datter above you said he can understand why the rules are in place, even if they seem a little annoying.


Thanks for acknowledging that, I don't want to be labelled as trouble maker around here... but I do like to share my opinion when I think it needs sharing.

One small suggestion to you tidruG, and a few of the other mods as well... you guys frequently talk about how you just enforce the rules, and I believe you completely however it might be more believable to new users around here if you removed things like;

Quote:
I ban people.


and

Quote:
Part of the mean team


... from your sig.

Just a suggestion, hope it's taken constructively.

datter
tidruG
datter wrote:
Quote:
so. Even datter above you said he can understand why the rules are in place, even if they seem a little annoying.


Thanks for acknowledging that, I don't want to be labelled as trouble maker around here... but I do like to share my opinion when I think it needs sharing.

One small suggestion to you tidruG, and a few of the other mods as well... you guys frequently talk about how you just enforce the rules, and I believe you completely however it might be more believable to new users around here if you removed things like;

Quote:
I ban people.


and

Quote:
Part of the mean team


... from your sig.

Just a suggestion, hope it's taken constructively.

datter

Well, actually, I do ban people. It's one of the things that Junior Admins do. Any staff member may "nominate" a member to be banned, and once a verdict is reached, one of the Admins generally does the actual banning.

And as for the mean team, well, to be honest with you, we can get pretty mean with trouble-makers, so it's not completely a joke.
It's sort of an inside joke among the staff, but it also definitely is true in some cases... we can be pretty quick to ban people if required (in rare cases) Wink
Traveller
A very wise man once said, "For the authorities do not frighten people who are doing right, but they frighten those who do wrong. So do what they say, and you will get along well." Thus, if you are not doing anything against the rules, you have nothing about which to be concerned, and only those who are breaking the rules (or intend to do so) should have any complaints.


As to the source of the quote: the Apostle Paul - Romans 13:3 (NLT).
Related topics
Sports forum
Anime Section yeah!
Re-organise forums
general technology
Football (Soccer)
General Music Discussion
!!.:Fantasy PC. Get 12 FRIH$ By Registering:.!!
Fantasy PC Community *5000 Articles*10 Members A Day*
Yet another forum description
Rules
topics that are closed for no GOOD reason
Bleach Soul Slayer A HL1 Modification
Doctor Who - General Discussion
I am confused
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.