FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

EASY acoustic guitar songs

the6thfactor
I'm just beginning, and recently bought a black Ibanez PF5. Does anyone have any songs that would be easy for me to learn? Any genre is fine with me. Thanks guys Very Happy
Magicman
I'll be watching this thread as I've only been playing for about half a year and I'm always looking for new good songs to play. The first song I learned was Wish you Were Here by Pink Floyd. Using only the chords, or just the simple picking, the song is fairly easy to play.
anxiety1
some that i learnt, there good to sing along with as well - just basic open chords

Dont look back into the sun - The Libertines

Vision Valleys - The Vines

but then again im no guitarist, i play bass but i like a singsong on the old accoustic
mercurial
Wonderwall - Oasis
More than words - Extreme
tears in heaven? - Eric Clapton
If - dunno who

yea actually can juz go about learning almost any song wif an acoustic guitar. even rock songs can be played on acoustic nicely..tt's what the unplugged version is for..yea for starters can juz use tabs to find ur way thru the song..den maybe you'll want to try out harder by tommy emmanuel or oscar lopez
Insanity
Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) by Green Day is pretty easy. It looks hard in the beginning, but if you practice enough you should get it down easy.
ddukki
Kansas's Dust in the Wind is an excellent way to learn fingerpicking. It's a little complicated at first, but once you have it down, it'll be the easiest thing you've ever done.
SimonWSTS
First song I EVER learnt to play on guitar was "Teenage Dirtbag" by Wheatus. That in my opinion is one of the easiest songs ever to learn.

If you're a bit beyond that though i suggest "When you say nothing at all" by Ronan Keating. Another fairly easy song and good to sing along to and play on your own without any backing track.
the6thfactor
Thanks for all the input guys, I will definitely be taking a look into these Very Happy
GProject
Insanity wrote:
Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) by Green Day is pretty easy. It looks hard in the beginning, but if you practice enough you should get it down easy.

This is the exact song I was going to suggest. It's an excellent starting point, and was the first acoustic song I learnt when I started playing guitar.
The_Gamer294
Smoke on the water lol, or if you want something a little more challenging look up sweet child o mine by guns in roses, theres an electric one and an acoustic one somewhere. the chords move fast in some spots so its good for learning to switch chords fast.
VidE
Gee, I'm so old. Back in my day Louie Louie for strumming and House of the Rising Sun for finger picking. One thing I found works pretty well is to learn the I-IV-V choird progression in any of the standard guitar keys. (C, G, D, A, & E for starters).
wavecage
Get Off - Dandy Warhols
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=get+off+dandy+warhols+chords
Awful - Hole
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=awful+hole+chords

have fun Smile
esaveme
When i started to play the guitar about 5 years, i learnt oasis.

Most of the songs are so easy and the chord change is lazy in away like wonderwall and talk tonight

Other oasis songs which are easy to play are
Live Forever
Cast No Shadow
Rocking Chair
and many more

For a good easy finger picking song i would say everybody hurts by REM. For the main part of the song there are four main chords which you just pick at.
poiko123
Tears in Heaven (if played correctly) is not an easy song by any means...
But as for the rest of the songs, it depends on your definition of simple.
But I agree Good Riddance is pretty easy, Wake Me Up When September Ends (acoustic version), be like that (acoustic version). Simple Man and 45 aren't too hard to learn.
molif
u can try this number...

early november - Ever So Sweet
Satori
Come As You Are by Nirvana was the first guitar song I ever learned...it's SOOOOOOOOOO SIMPLE!! You'd have to be an idiot to not be able to play it after 10 minutes of practice...though sadly, such people exist.

Anyway, it's super simple and decently cool. There aren't even any chords for the verses...just the same little tab riff repeated over and over. In fact, I'll tab it out for you right now (it's only played on two strings..low E and A):

A --|:------------0---0-----------2-----------2-:|------------------------------------
E 0-|:0-1-2-------2---2-2-1-0---0-0---------:|------------------------------------

Easy as pie. The " |:" sign is a repeat. When you first start, you start on open E, but as the song repeats, you only play what's in between the repeat signs above.

Enjoy!
Rejoice44
Some Green Day songs are easy, and maybe The Fray..i dont know
Illionaire
Here are some of the first acoustic songs I learned when I first started playing:

Guns N' Roses/Bob Dylan - Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Barenaked Ladies - If I Had $1,000,000
The Beatles - Let It Be
CCR - Bad Moon Rising
Pink Floyd - Mother
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama

I hope these help.
BlockUp
GProject wrote:
Insanity wrote:

This is the exact song I was going to suggest. It's an excellent starting point, and was the first acoustic song I learnt when I started playing guitar.

Hey, any Green Day song is easy on a guitar. Heck, on any instrument.
Especially on a bass.
spaz-o
Any Avril Lavigne, Green Day, Slide by the Goo Goo Dolls...
First song I learnt was Predictable by Delta Goodrem. 3 chords - Em, D and C. Can't really get much easier than that.

Pretty much everything in the pop-rock genre is pretty easy to play.

Good luck with your guitaring Very Happy
BladeRunner
the6thfactor wrote:
I'm just beginning, and recently bought a black Ibanez PF5. Does anyone have any songs that would be easy for me to learn? Any genre is fine with me. Thanks guys Very Happy

Anything by Oasis. TOTALLY overrated pap IMHO
cosmain7
under the bridge- red hot chili peppers
polly, about a girl, drain You,sappy,etc - Nirvana
down in a hole -alice in chains
black - Pearl Jam
creep - Stone temple pilots
and many more...
rocker13
first song i learned was IRON MAN by BLACK SABBATH

smoke on the water is also a good beginner

Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised
liljp617
=/ People giving songs that are written specifically for electric...how do you play Iron Man and Smoke On The Water on an acoustic? That's silly lol

Anyway, a lot of Tom Petty songs are easily transferred to acoustic and they're mostly just basic open chords. I would also look into some Pink Floyd as they have a lot of songs with nice, easy acoustic playing rhythm.

But the real secret is, play what you like. If you're listening to a song and you're like "OH I HAVE TO LEARN THAT I LOVE IT," then attempt it and try to play it. There's obviously going to be some things above your level, but as you continue to practice you'll be able to master songs at the higher levels. It's just a matter of time and dedication. There are thousands of songs you can play with basic chords and open chords...I'm sure you can find some songs you love that are possible to play. No point in playing songs just because they're easy. Play songs you like and want to play and it will come way easier than trying to learn a song you don't care for.
MRaftery
cosmain7 wrote:
under the bridge- red hot chili peppers
polly, about a girl, drain You,sappy,etc - Nirvana
down in a hole -alice in chains
black - Pearl Jam
creep - Stone temple pilots
and many more...

Under the bridge an easy acoustic song?!

The oasis recommendations are good, I'd suggest buying a capo as playing G D and Em can get a bit boring and put off beginners. If you buy a capo you can play the same shapes up the neck in different keys and get nore interesting sounds.

Either way, good luck and enjoy!
speeDemon
Well, try out the acoustic versions of songs of BSB and Simple plan.

I presently am working on simple plan's "when i'm gone"

Its fairly easy to play.

U cn get acoustic versions of just about every song, so search a bit and then decide....
bissoboa
Quote:

I would suggest you to listen some of Neil Young, that is a legend and has made simple beautiful acoustic songs. If you like them try to play with the guitar by yourself. and of course, first find somewhere the chords Wink
Pantherus
Easy
Oasis Wonderwall
Jack Johnson Banana Pancakes
Damian rice Amie (My first Song 4 chords)
Arcade Fire-Intervention acoustic
Sufjan Stevens-Chicago acoustic

Medium
Jose gonzalez if you're looking for a bit harder things
CKY-Behind the screams
Hallelujah-Leonard Cohen
Wish you were here- Pink Floyd
Stairway to heaven

Hardest Imaginable Acoustic Guitar song

Al stewart Small fruit song
weselldonkeys
the6thfactor wrote:

Well, I recommend these songs, they're all easy to learn:

Angie - The Rolling Stones (One of the first songs I learned how to play on the guitar.)

Hurt - Johnny Cash (A very simple song to play)

Transylvanian Hunger - Darkthrone (If you know how to do tremolo picking)

Eight Days A Week - The Beatles (Easy just need to know the basic chords)

Black Magic - Slayer (Really easy)

Sway - Bic Runga (Simple song to play as well)
Sphaerenkern
The songs of Johnny Cash are often not that hard, for example No Expectations (yes I know it's a Cover) or I Walk The Line.
I think U2 songs aren't that hard either (Beautiful Day, New Year's Day), at least New Year's Day was one of the first songs I played.
And of course Summer of '69 if you play it plain.
schooldays
A few of the early Bob Dylan folk songs are fairly simple (ie: The Times They Are-A Changin'), with just a few simple chords. Of course then you have the very difficult fingerpicking songs (like Don't Think Twice), which are much harder.

My personal favourite song to play on guitar is Blackbird by The Beatles. After a few months of learning guitar it's quite easy to play. Here's a tab... http://lennonchords.info/mccartney/wings/blackbird.txt.
KatanaSky
here are a few that are really easy:

Leaving On A Jet Plane - John Denver
Last Kiss - Pearl Jam
Back Here - BBMak
Mrs Lycos
Nobodies Home - Abril Lavigne
Klsmithy
I reckon.
Tears in heaven by eric clapton.
the finger picking and stuff are a bit hard
But yah
menino
Hey dudes and dudettes,

Have you tried guitartutee.com ?
Its a site that shows guitarists showing you how they play different songs.

If you know of any others, please post them here. I'm trying my hardest to learn. Laughing
slashnburn99
Bob Dylan - Knocking on heavens door

This is a good one as covered by Guns n roses, Eric Clapton, Avril Lavigne (scuse spelling) - warchild charity song

so there is a song that appears to 4 different people

GC & D or/and GD Aminor (link below)

http://www.guitaretab.com/g/guns-n-roses/7592.html

basically change the pattern of knokcing on heavens door and you also have the start of Sweet child of mine too (Rhythm)

http://www.fretplay.com/tabs/g/guns_n_roses/sweet_child_o_mine-tab.shtml
smiteme
Hey you can try out Breakfast at Tiffany's, Words, and Summer of 69.
sandmanxyz
Nirvana - Polly
sandmanxyz
Also, some of the acoustic stuff from Creed, Scott Stapp and this people is pretty easy. Wink
tingkagol
Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana. (My first song. Yep, power chords)

When I Come Around by Greenday.

About a Girl by Nirvana.

Horse With No Name by America.

Good Riddance by Greenday. --> You definitely need to try this, since most people on this board seem to be suggesting it anyway. It's so easy to play, and it sounds good on acoustic, thanks to the sustained chords.
Crazy_Canuck
The first of the only two songs I ever learned on guitar was "Dust In The Wind" by Kansas (yeah, yeah ... I'm old). It was actually pretty easy.

The second one was Blackbird, by The Beatles. Also deceptively easy.

I greatly admire guitar players. It's an instrument I've never been able to figure out, but it would be a wonderful talent to have and it's so portable ... you can make music just about anywhere.

Good luck!
welshsteve
As has already been said, Oasis songs are really simple to learn. Songbird has to be just about the easiest. Two chord wonder that one, just a couple of "progression" changes to the 2 main chords. Really simple.
rechita
hey guys
i need some help form u ppl
i have a guitar and i don't knoe wht songs to play
i knoe some lyk wake me up when september ends
bovlevard broken dreams
last of the american girl

do u knoe any more i can play
i have just stated so i would want some easy somgs to play

thanks guys
luv u all
ste594
Hi,

most of the songs on this post are great...go to you tube and search my page www.youtube.com/ste594

i have a little bit of easy music on there i have learnt most of my guitar skills from a guy named aaron galagher on youtube goes by the name of GALLY on there...really really good![/url][/youtube]
gphoenix
Ode to Joy and Fur Elise..

he he he.. Very Happy
MOTORHEAD2011
The First Song I Learned Was EVERY ROSE HAS ITS THORN BY Poison!!! All It Is IS G C AND D OVER And Over again
menino
MOTORHEAD2011 wrote:
The First Song I Learned Was EVERY ROSE HAS ITS THORN BY Poison!!! All It Is IS G C AND D OVER And Over again

I've got to try and practice this. Smile thanks.