FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Harry potter only for children ???





yimaw
Harry potter only for children ??? yes or no ??
mOrpheuS
I've read all the books in the Harry Potter series till now.
I won't consider myself a kid Laughing
so if there's a rule regarding this, there's a confirmed exception.

But I won't say I liked the books, they were ok...
I read them while on the train.
and the only reason I read all of them was that I had nothing better to do there, and I wasn't carrying any other book on me...so I had to read whatever I could manage to borrow from people around.

The movies are worse...the novels are atleast better than the movies
Wink
Raziel
Why should a book only be for children ?
I think if you like a book you can read it.
Helios
I´ll agree with Raziel´s words.

If you like the book, read it..
Do you care about the age?
dark_paladin
I never see a warning in any Harry Potter book that says adults cannot read it, so of course everyone can read it!
pll
I am a children ... I think yes ... Wink Wink

But my father read this lol.
xiaarra
Well, I read it, and it was good to read, but once I finished it, I felt it was such a fairy tale... But I did read it again and again.
Kombo
I don't have read the books, but i've seen all movies and i think they are great...
Harry Potter is for childrens yes... but for adults too. Don't you think?
vizavex
Not really only for children
If you like it
you can read it anytime

Dont think got people
restrict you from reading it Confused Smile
Eagle
I don't like harry potter but it's everybodys taste i'm more a lord of the rings fan
Bondings
yimaw wrote:
Harry potter only for children ??? yes or no ??


The image I get from Harry Potter is that it is for children. I talk about the image I get from the media. In fact I never read it, never even opened the book. So I can't give you my opinion about it.

I can only talk about the impression I get about it. The impression i get is that the book is much worse than the one of the lords of the rings. And I didn't like those books (the movies were ok, btw).

The problem with all those famous books is that the magic is gone. First of all because those books aren't the best in their genre most of the time and secondly because all of the media attention they get. And you need the magic of those created worlds in a fantasy book.

There are many, many better fantasy books than The Lord Of The Rings. I'm certain you'll notice it once you read them. The Lord Of The Rings is just a story; not bad, but nothing more than that. For me that is really not enough.

I read a lot of fantasy books and most of them are much better. To give you some examples of authors you should read.

Tad Williams, my favourite writer at the moment. You should really read his Otherland books. They are pure fantasy, but not in the past or in other world, they happen in our future, a very realistic future. The name Otherland is a reference to the simulations.
That book successfully combines science fiction and fantasy AND adding a lot of philosophical elements, that will be discussed in the coming centuries. (manipulation of the human brain, artificial life and human identity)

At the moment I am reading some books of 'Weis and Hickman'. They are maybe not as good as Williams's books, but I would certainly recommand their books.
cnnet
I don't think it a good movie
I don't know why i have this idea
but I do not like it at all
inesquecivel
I do not think, Harry Potter is for all the ages
stanaka
No.
me and my wife always see its movies.
Many adult people see it in Japan.
aicho
I don't think age is a important thing for the book.
HunterMac
22 years old, and I say that I kinda like it. Light story, but interesting plot - something that could tickle my imagination. Good thing for children, but some adults won't be dissapointed
icecafe
I think many of adult love to read it
Aut0mat1c
No way not just for kids.

I have read all the books at least 3 times each, some more than 5 times.

They may be marketed to kids mainly but there is a huge adult following as well. In the UK they even have adult and childrens versions, the only difference tho is the cover.
ae1907
not for children . for everyone . it's very good books . but their movies are very bad. I don't like that . I wait the sixth book . I wonder the book . İt will be good . I know that . Because J.k. Rowling is good author . She writes very well . It will be good . Adults should be read it .
DarkYuke
Definatley not only for children. It's surprising how much adults read and like Harry Potter. Although those illustrations at the front of the book may be a little childish, you can't judge a book by its cover. An excellent example I reckon is 'Animal Farm' (It's an allegory). Although it sounds like it's aimed for younger children, year 8 students in Australia have to read is (In my school anyway) because the whole plot is based on the Russian Revolution.
Monkeydog
The last 2 books really have been pretty dark and evil.I think no.but the movies aren't good.
yimaw
I want to have children who are the best .
AnGeLicK
doesn't matter that the intended audience are children... adults read Dr Seuss... if you like it read it...
dule
I don't thinks this book is only for kids.

Movies are made for kids (under 13 audience).

I don't know, but i don't think my younger brother could read 800 pages. He cant read 200. Rolling Eyes
Monkeydog
i was reading books that big in 4th grade but then i got lazy and stoped...anyways Half Blood Prince is so evil it really doesn't seem kidish...
tidruG
Well, I thought that the books sort of grow along with Harry... The first couple of books were like not at all dark and clean and not very scary (not that the later books were scary, but comparatively)... but JK Rowling does it well... though you have major making out and shit like that in the last book, not in one book will you find any cuss words or stuff considered outright inappropriate for children... so, basically, she's sort of grown the book up as Harry has grown up, but kept it readable for kiddies too...

I enjoyed reading the books, though I wouldn't say they were the greatest books I've read... sure, they're well written, with a nice plot and stuff, but gimme classics like "A Tale Of Two Cities" anyday...

As far as the movies were concerned, when compared with the books, they were wrose than cheap parodies of the book as would have been written by people who loathe the book.

Lord Of The Rings... the movies defintiely rocked... as for the books, I've heard that you fall asleep reading them... he just moves along so slowly that you fall asleep reading Tolkein's description of the places, and events. (I've since then, been afraid of reading the books, as I have a good impression of the story because of the movies)
Monkeydog
really the LOTR movies messed up the story :/
tho i never read the 3rd book cause my books ran away from me...
barcino
Simly, if you enjoy reading it just read it!
jsalie
I would like to know why this book is so appealing to adults. It is after all clasified as a childrens book? I'm sure the writing is really good, but what about the story us appealing to adults?
BlackSkad
The first book was a little childish when it became available, but trough the years, the following books became much darker, more intens. Rowling never intended the books to be qualified as childrens books. Because she knows that what happend in book 4 and any later books, is not appropriate for children (under 8, by her opinion). To much horrible things happen.
I you ask why adults love the books, I assume you have never read them. Go and get them, it's worth it!
tidruG
jsalie wrote:
I would like to know why this book is so appealing to adults. It is after all clasified as a childrens book? I'm sure the writing is really good, but what about the story us appealing to adults?


This is just my opinion... most adults aren't satisfied with their lives. What they want are TV lives... you know, the ones you see on TV about people doing the jobs they absoultely love, and living out their dreams, etc etc... But in general, the average adult gives up on his dreams, gets to reality, and lives a drab, monotonous life... the only great adventure being the trip to the mall on a crowded Saturday evening... So, these books are sort of a way to get away... a little but of adventure, a little bit of magic... things you won't get in "reality"
theo
i don't think so. it's just a story. if you like it, you can read it. that's no reason that "harry potter is just for kids."
For addition, i like reading harry potter very much. it's exciting.
Xavier
Well, My take on this topic is that Harry Potter is also for children, unlike other serious novels! The novels can become a favorite for anyone who has a taste for fiction & adventure!
So, i believe Harry is the Hero of many adult hearts too! Very Happy
jsalie
my wife has read every single book, and I always bug her as to why she's reading kiddies books. From all of the above input, I think it's time that I actually have a go at it.
[SP]HaloClan
i think they were originally 4 kids but then rawling got into so much dark stuff and evil stuff, the content of this book is more around an adult level, even tho i read a book that size in 2ND grade so im just saying but... ya know what i mean... if the auther wrote it anyone can read it!
jsalie
is there any chronological order in which to read them or does that not matter?
Monkeydog
yes every book is a diffrent year following harry but they are all on the same story in chronological order and stuff...so yes you really need to read them in order...
bao
I also agree All people can read Harry Potter. Rolling Eyes
digressive
I think that adults should be reading these books before letting their young children read them. Near the end of book 4 and throughout books 5 and 6, the subject matter has taken a very dark turn. Parents should be aware of the fact that these books deal with death, murder, and other harsh things. I don't think a child under the age of, oh maybe 13, should be given the last two books without the parents knowing what's going on in them. As for myself, I'm married, and my wife and I both love the books. She's read each of them 3-4 times, and I'm on my second run through right now.

As for why these books appeal to the masses... my wife and I have been working on a paper that we are thinking of submitting to some literary and sociology journals about that very question. We haven't come to many conclusions yet, but right now I'm working on the idea that the book mirrors the real world with the so called "war on terror" and the fear that the "enemy" could be walking among us with the ability to cause devestation with the flick of a switch (flick of a wand?). Now, please bear in mind that I do not necessacarily believe that to be the case, but it's what I'm researching right now.
Moty
inesquecivel wrote:
I do not think, Harry Potter is for all the ages

accept.
memsa
I must confess to not have read any of these books. My children have read all of them. My wife has read all of them. She loves them and they are a well spring of conversation amongst us all , despite my ignorance.
eluder
Methinks, the best books are those that are for everyone, both for grown-up and children. Talking of Harry Potter, I suppose that's a wonderful example of how a terrible style and haphazard ideas can make a commercially successful book. I can criticize the world made by Rowling for a long time.

If other titles can be named, here they are, the books both for children and grown-ups:

James Barry, Peter Pan
many tales by James Kr:uss (Timm Taler, The Talking Machine etc)
almost all Tove Janssen's books about the Moomintrolls
MMFAN
Didnt really read allof the poists but it certanly isnt a childrens book anymore. I agree, that the first 2 were kidish but 3 was when they started to hit more adult tones and book 6 is a good example(didnt read it but I know what happens thanks to stupiud people posting "I didnt know it was a spoiler" threads Evil or Very Mad ) But anyways, I think its becoming far from onbe
Monkeydog
I agree that it is getting more mature but it's not getting to much mature.I could understand these kind of books back in the third grade and second and not get scared or anything.Plus it's not like she's describeing the deaths as bloody and a junk like that(heck the one in the 5th book I really didn't even understand what happened)
BioHaZaRD
If you're an adult, you may find it a bit childish (as I do). I enjoy the books, nevertheless.
sprinqles
I'm turning 20 this October and I'm an HP fan. It doesn't really have a single target audience. HP is not your typical children's literature. I can't wait for the last book to come out, but I don't want it to come out really soon. It will be really heartbreaking, imagine, it will be the last book, no more looking forward to a year in Harry's life.

Sorry, I got carried away, I'm an HP fan, as you might have figured by now. Smile
dengbs
The image I get from Harry Potter is that it is for children. I talk about the image I get from the media. In fact I never read it, never even opened the book. So I can't give you my opinion about it. I can only talk about the impression I get about it. The impression i get is that the book is much worse than the one of the lords of the rings. And I didn't like those books (the movies were ok, btw). The problem with all those famous books is that the magic is gone. First of all because those books aren't the best in their genre most of the time and secondly because all of the media attention they get. And you need the magic of those created worlds in a fantasy book. There are many, many better fantasy books than The Lord Of The Rings. I'm certain you'll notice it once you read them. The Lord Of The Rings is just a story; not bad, but nothing more than that. For me that is really not enough. I read a lot of fantasy books and most of them are much better. To give you some examples of authors you should read. Tad Williams, my favourite writer at the moment. You should really read his Otherland books. They are pure fantasy, but not in the past or in other world, they happen in our future, a very realistic future. The name Otherland is a reference to the simulations. That book successfully combines science fiction and fantasy AND adding a lot of philosophical elements, that will be discussed in the coming centuries. (manipulation of the human brain, artificial life and human identity) At the moment I am reading some books of 'Weis and Hickman'. They are maybe not as good as Williams's books, but I would certainly recommand their books.

hahahahaha~`~~~~~~~~~~~~
m_furquan36
maan harry potter books rock! I read the 1st one forcefully, but then i siftwe dthrough all the following books and REALLY enjoyed it! The Harry Potter series is Ofcourse lobger then the Lord of the rings saga, which was also very interesting in its own sense! Its awsome the way J.K Rowling and Tolkien do their stuff! Laughing

I personally like to listen to the harry potter and lord of the rings soundtrack cd's when im reading the books!
Believe me it not only relaxes ur mind but makes you enjoy the books even furthur, lets just say its a (detailed) substitute for the movies! Wink
EtherealDesert
I have to agree with most of you, the Harry novels are for grown ups as well, but that doesn't really mean it's goooood for you Razz One could be inclined to compare Harry (and LOTR btw.) to junkfood. It's tasty, you fill up that inner gap, but the content is nevertheless not quite as healthy as it could have been Razz
einar
Harry Potter is pure entertainment that's for sure. You can't learn anything from the books, unless you want to become a wizard.

Children love it though, but do they have good taste ? In my opinion no. I'd rather read Roald Dahl, Astrid Lindgren or something with more depth and originality.

It's amazing though, that so much money can be made by making up such stories.

On the other hand compared with tele tubbies or Heman, Harry Potter really has some features. For one thing: real people, theme bad vs. good.

To conclude: Its nice to read for adults if they read the books for their children.
yule
Bondings wrote:
yimaw wrote:
Harry potter only for children ??? yes or no ??


The image I get from Harry Potter is that it is for children. I talk about the image I get from the media. In fact I never read it, never even opened the book. So I can't give you my opinion about it.

I can only talk about the impression I get about it. The impression i get is that the book is much worse than the one of the lords of the rings. And I didn't like those books (the movies were ok, btw).

The problem with all those famous books is that the magic is gone. First of all because those books aren't the best in their genre most of the time and secondly because all of the media attention they get. And you need the magic of those created worlds in a fantasy book.

There are many, many better fantasy books than The Lord Of The Rings. I'm certain you'll notice it once you read them. The Lord Of The Rings is just a story; not bad, but nothing more than that. For me that is really not enough.

I read a lot of fantasy books and most of them are much better. To give you some examples of authors you should read.

Tad Williams, my favourite writer at the moment. You should really read his Otherland books. They are pure fantasy, but not in the past or in other world, they happen in our future, a very realistic future. The name Otherland is a reference to the simulations.
That book successfully combines science fiction and fantasy AND adding a lot of philosophical elements, that will be discussed in the coming centuries. (manipulation of the human brain, artificial life and human identity)

At the moment I am reading some books of 'Weis and Hickman'. They are maybe not as good as Williams's books, but I would certainly recommand their books.


I have the same feeling. It should be like this.
meet in rio
1. I think that the books are definitely written for children. Yes, there is death and evil - no, that doesn't make it an adult's book, at least in my eyes. The very fact that adult covers exist shows that adults are embarrassed to be seen reading that which is universally acknowledged as a children's book.
2. I read and enjoy them. Adults are just as capable of reading children's books as children are of reading adults'.
3. I don't think they're amazingly well written, from a stylistic point of view, but they are written to an appropriate level for children, so maybe that makes then good literature all the same.
4. They are wonderfully planned. I like that.
5. They appeal to me and I'm not exactly sure why, so there must be something quite special about them.

And as always, I have failed to reach any conclusion. Wink
Mona
I think that they are children books, but theres no shame in adults reading em. I can maybe understand why some adults may be aprehensive about it, but its a good read and its worth it.
Philip
The first book was a little childish when it became available, but trough the years, the following books became much darker, more intens. Rowling never intended the books to be qualified as childrens books. Because she knows that what happend in book 4 and any later books, is not appropriate for children (under 8, by her opinion). To much horrible things happen.
I you ask why adults love the books, I assume you have never read them. Go and get them, it's worth it!
winlice
i'm 18 and also like to read it. Confused Confused Confused Confused
irish_18
I've read all of the books and it amazed me. Smile for me, its not only for kids.. Its the best book ever! ^-^
x_es_x
oh no!!!!harry potter is not just for children!!!

it's for everyone...the first one was a bit childish but the rest seemed to be more mature...but anyways it's got a great stry for everyone to enjoy..even if you're a girl a boy...teenager..middle-aged...i think that the story is for everyone after all..fantasy and magic is for everyone..
foalios
The author makes the main character a child/teenager which makes it appeal to children/teenagers automatically.
If adults like it, thats a coincidence.
shabda
I have read all Harry Potter books, but I realy cant say I like them. I read them, coz I wanted to see why are they so famous. And if you claim to be a book lover you cant not read them. For the same reason I also had to read Dan brown. Confused For me the Potter world is too infeasible. Even a fantasy world must be reasonable, which it is not. Also the magic system is too simplistic.
Mika109
I'm fourteen, so I don't know if my say counts much. I think that it's written for teens but that doesn't mean that adults can't read it and like though. My mom has read every single one and liked them almost as much as me.
JayBee
i like only the PC game, it is better then blood shooters (but it has good game engine - Unreal engine)
thnn
I dont think that Harry Potter should be classed as childrens book. It deals with many adult and teenage themes and therefore should be classed as adult fiction. I know for a fact that I am not the only person in the world who shares my opinion. I am interested to see what others think about this. Because i know that I wish that Harry Potter was restricted R13 especially in the newer movies as Harry has to deal with all sorts of adult things.
JessieF
I don't think Harry Potter is just for kids.
It doesn't depend on age, is depends on what you are usually interested in reading. If you like fantasy, go ahead and grab a Harry Potter book or some other fantasy book!
Di
Nope, its not a kids book.....well not lately anyways. Dumbledore died!!!
yes, that was sad. The earlier books were tame, but now people are dropping dead all over the place (exaggeration......)

And i think the new movie's rated M or something, but that doesnt count because its a movie!

p.s how many kids under 10 can read something as long a Harry Potter?
lensman
Harry Potter Just for kids?

Let me see...

[list]
[*]A guy chops off his hand in a dark ritual.
[*]People get killed left and right.
[*]There's the whole "Harry Potter is Gay" thing.
[*]A guy gets fried alive.
[*]There are zombies in the last novel.


    Sure, I'd love to give this to my little brother...

    Then watch him scream in FEAR!!!!
Torchflame
To be fair, read the first book again. It was very appropriate for the age levels it was classified for. It even read like a kids book.

The writing, the story, the characters, all of these things have literally grown up with the series. The farther it goes, the more grown up it gets.

I think that in itself says a lot about Rowling's worth as an author. When I first picked up Philosophers/Sorcerer's Stone I hated it. But having neices at about the right age insured that I would be exposed to Harry Potter again. By the third installment, I counted myself among the fans.

So no, not just for kids. Harry Potter is for everyone, and the best part is, it grows up with the kids reading it.
newarkan
Are you KIDDING?

Harry potter is NOT for children only !
These books are purely magic ! Them only can make you read them through at once ! I remember reading the last one in one night, being moved from the beginning to the end, as Harry feels hatred, anger, frustration, love, etc.
Really, HP only for children? Haha
wetair
To whoever spoke about tad williams: I read only one of his, but I didn't really like it. Weis is much better, I think.

I have read all of the harry potter books and I am not a child. The first couple were childish, yes, they read like books I read when I was little, but that's okay. But it gets better, that is, it gets darker. Although by the time I was fourteen - the age potter is suppose to by the forth movie - I was reading much darker stuff. By the time I was sixteen - the age, I think, he is in the prince book - the books I liked the most had much more violence in them.
Jasna
Of course the HP series isn't just a kids' series.

Techincally it's young adult... I think...

But anyway, like many young adult books, adults enjoy them as well. Take the His Dark Materials series or The Chronicles of Narnia series. They're more like "intelligent reads aimed for teens but can be enjoyed by adults as well." Besides, teen (and/or even adult) readers, who hasn't gone through a book store, passed by a favorite kids' book from back then, and at least leisurely flipped through it? It'll more than likely have put a smile on your faces.

It's the same with movies or any other form of entertainment. Rated "R" means it's aimed for adults, but that doesn't mean adults alone enjoy them. It's just that adults will most likely tend to like them better.
Masochistic Tendencies
No.
Ihatebabysitting
I love Harry Potter, and I am in college.

But even if you don't like the story line, you have to see the wonders that it has done for child literacy.

So many children are reading these books now! Harry Potter is an amazing series with amazing results.
Masochistic Tendencies
lensman wrote:
Harry Potter Just for kids?

Let me see...

[list]
[*]A guy chops off his hand in a dark ritual.
[*]People get killed left and right.
[*]There's the whole "Harry Potter is Gay" thing.
[*]A guy gets fried alive.
[*]There are zombies in the last novel.


    Sure, I'd love to give this to my little brother...

    Then watch him scream in FEAR!!!!

Lmao I think they just proved the point.
AardvarkSagus
I used to think that harry potter was just for children myself. Then Many of my intelligent friends mentioned how they had read the books themselves and had enjoyed them thoroughly. I finally decided to pick the books up at the library and try one of them out to see what all the fuss was about. I did this about the time that number VI was announced for release so I thought that if I read them at a normal pace I would intermix another book or two and be wrapping up number VI about the time that VII came out. Big mistake. I read to escape reality and enjoy another world. Whether that is the spacious landscapes of Tolkiens Middle earth or the cramped corridors of one of Tom Clancy's submarines. These books fit the bill. I enjoy books that give enough time for good character development. The fact that there will eventually be 7 books following the lives of a few classmates makes it so Characters can continually expand over the course of several books. JK Rowling did a fine job with these books. I ended up reading HP:VI about 2 weeks after release date and I have been holding my breath for VII now since then. I don't think they are the best books ever written by a long shot, but they are interesting reading. I may even go ahead and buy them sometime just for the sake of re-runs.
brilliantbeauty
NEver. While I, personally, can not be considered an adult, I do know several very intelligent adults that read HArry Potter and like it! Think of Madonna, shes a pop icon, and shes known to like it! Actually, Harry Potter has inspired many adolescents who do not normally read, to read avidly. Props to JK! Very Happy
kr3tu
I read 1st part long ago when I was kid... those day Harry Potter wasn't as popular as it is right now... I liked 1st part very much, and after I read it, mum bought me next... which was also cool... then I was waiting for the next and next parts, now i'm 16 years old and I still like those series, it reminds me old days when I got 1st part as a gift on chrismass...
hangnhu
no, everyone should be allow to read it, after all adult can have a child mind too, such wonderful imagination should be shared
supersonic
No, postivly not. Well maybe the first two but after that they are not.
hangnhu
supersonic wrote:
No, postivly not. Well maybe the first two but after that they are not.


what age exactly are we talking about, that children are not allow to watch harry potter? i fail to see anything wrong with the prisoner of azkaban, and i do know there will be some romance in the goblet of fire, however i don't think it a major theme for harry potter

if you're talking about monsters and death and big giant snakes, i think it like scary bedtime stories, only longer

still let me know the age limit
dang, are you talking about for adults of children?????? lol, your answer is too short and confusing
brilliantbeauty
hangnhu wrote:
supersonic wrote:
No, postivly not. Well maybe the first two but after that they are not.


what age exactly are we talking about, that children are not allow to watch harry potter? i fail to see anything wrong with the prisoner of azkaban, and i do know there will be some romance in the goblet of fire, however i don't think it a major theme for harry potter

if you're talking about monsters and death and big giant snakes, i think it like scary bedtime stories, only longer

still let me know the age limit
dang, are you talking about for adults of children?????? lol, your answer is too short and confusing


^They're saying that Harry Potter books are not just for children, mayb the first to are, but after that they are not. Am I correct in my assumption?
Lilystock
Well, I've read them and liked them a lot. I'm waiting for the last one with impatience.

As for the movie, well I have to say that I find them more childish...
kain
no. She actually intended them to be for adults! LOL
Raijenki
No lol, my father likes it too xD
hangnhu
Let just say it for both adult and children, adults with interest and all children

it good that the movies are childlish, afterall it children are the prime audience, adults are just tagging along taking care of the kids, and can watch if they like
Varun
offcourse it for books if people read harry Potter and like them that means they havent read anything good to compare it wtih HP....i had tried reading HP once and thought it was too kiddish and the movies are really worse...i dont understand the point in spending so much money and making some movie for kids???

If it was a Animation movie then that would have been a different story altogether....
augustoccastro
I haven't read all the books of the Harry Potter's history, but I can say that everybody, if likes of course, can read it. A book is written for all the people who likes it, indifferent of age. Of course, there are exceptions. For eg. books for childrens, written for childrens. But Harry Potter isn't a specific book for childrens. That's my opinion!!! Cool
godam64
harry potter is for all ages.
i'm not read the book, just watch the movie.
i can't bare reading hundreds pages book Confused
vlnjodie
Quote:
Tad Williams, my favourite writer at the moment. You should really read his Otherland books. They are pure fantasy, but not in the past or in other world, they happen in our future, a very realistic future. The name Otherland is a reference to the simulations.


I have read Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. I loved them! They took a long time to read because I have to read a ton for classes too, but they were worth the time.
vlnjodie
Have you ever looked at the children's classic section? I think it's funny that people are so worried about the "adult" subjects brought up in Harry Potter, but many of the classic books with heavy themes are found in the children's section. Books like Lord of the Flies or many Charles Dickens books. Some of these are heavy and not easy to read.

I read young adult/children's books all the time and still can identify with them. I think an adult will enjoy the books in a different way just because they have more life experience. As the HP generation grows up, they will re-read these books and find new themes and deeper connections with the books.
whatsername
No, i'm 18 and i've read all the books out a million times! I think they are wonderful and a great read for people of all ages.
leftofcenter
I actually don't think the later books are even intended for young children. They're really intended for the age that Harry is during the book. I was priviliged to always be just around the age that Harry is in the books. (Except I'm gaining on him now. When the 6th book came out, I was 17, he was 16. By the time book 7 comes out, I'll be nearly 20, and he'll only be 17) So I had the opportunity to grow with him, since I read the first three books when I was 12.

But yeah, my youth pastor's wife LOVED Harry Potter, and she's in her late 30's. A lot of people I've met through Harry Potter communities are in their 20s and 30s, and I even know of a lady in her 50's who loves the books. They really defy age.
benwhite
I've read several Potter books and enjoyed them if not overwhelmed. They do however transcend age. I think the main issue is that many people assoicate the audience with the age of the characters, which is where the fault lies. As long as the length and language don't prevent kids from enjoying the books, then children often enjoy high fantasy like Lord of the Rings etc. I spent the last decade reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, another lengthy 'adult' series. I've enjoyed them through the years though I was younger when they began. Conversely, when a book is written in a manner and with a story that is not clearly delivered for a Babysitter's Clud audience, they can also enjoy. Especially in fantasy and sci fi, people tend to think as they get older they should stop enjoying things that aren't grounded in our reality. Harry Potter is one of the few times where a book has acheived a universal audience.
Shewolf
The Harry Potter books are for any child to read. It does not matter wether the child is six or ninty years old.

My mom loves the world of Harry, and she is round fifty.....
DeFwh
the movie is more for children since hp gets a little long after the third book and extremely complicated
totax
Harry Potter is for all that can read!
JoRu
I believe grown ups enjoy Harry Potter as well
codegeek
I read it when I was 20, and remember enjoying it mostly. I especially liked the third book. There were just so many intricate details that were very gracefully connected in the end without leaving any loose threads. I think this is the sign of a good author. So, I don't think the Harry Potter series is only for kids.
Radar
While I haven't read them, the overall impression I get is that there is enough complexity and themes that adults can enjoy them just as much, if not more, than children.
GuidanceReader
I've only read them as an adult, and I enjoyed them as an adult. In fact I got obsessed about them, as an adult and did all the stuff on JK Rowling's website to go with it.... Embarassed
Related topics
A new movie....Harry Potter 4...
Harry Potter, Are you into it?
Harry Potter 6 - The Half-Blood Prince *(ENDING REVEALED)*
Harry Potter Prisioner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
HARRY POTTER
Want to win a copy the DELUXE editon of Harry Potter and HBP
The PENULTIMATE Harry Potter Site -- Live the Magic!
Apple Unveils Harry Potter iPod
Harry Potter!
a disccusion about harry potter and the half blood prince
Harry Potter and the ? (the 7th HP Book)
Is Harry Potter anti-Christian?
wht are the odds for rowling writing books related to harry
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Literature

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.