FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Visual Basic 6

jrs32
I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could find some good tutorials on VB6. I've learned a little by just messing around, and am also taking a class at school. I would just like to learn at a faster pace and the VB book I have doesn't help much.

Thanks in advance!
prongs_386
when I used this I found the best site for help was
http://www.planet-source-code.com/
It doesn't have tutorials as such but what it has is a huge database of already made applications. Once you know the basics of programming in vb such as how the components work and howto code using if statements, variables, and functions. Look at this site and look for something you are interested in making, it shows you exactly how to go about making a certain type of program.

At the time I was interested in networking and with the help of that site I was able to produce chat programs, a vnc type program and plenty more.
Panthrowzay
visual basic that net and version six are totally incompatible with each other. if you make a program in version six you can't executed and visual basic .net because of all the recent changes that they've made in .net. it is almost impossible. lord knows why they make it so hard??? but I have to retake .net just so I can use a visual basic even though I already knew six. it's really a pain. does anybody agree with me? I know many of you probably don't programming visual basic as a great program to program. most basic applications are made in this program. visual basic's is actually derived from C++. not wait until windows Vista comes out... is going to be great...
lSaKenl
Well, i'm making a tutorial with easy words and without those things that you really dont want nor need to know, you can read it, there are only the basics there, but if you want, add me to msn list, i can give you kind of a class by msn.

web
http://saken.frih.net
(the tutorial is inside the forums)

msn addy:
lsakenl@gmail.com
vashish87
Ever thought of trying Visual Studio Express? It's got .net support, plus it's completely FREE. And it's got debugging to die for.
sarapicoazul
Learning VB6 is a complete waste of time ! If you are learning to program for the first time (or not) i recommend Python programming language. Python is an easy to learn yet powerfull language, it has a very clear and readable syntax, it has excellent portability (it runs on Windows and all Unix flavours including MacOSX) and is very well documented. There is also a .NET implementation (IronPython). You can do almost everything with python including GUI programming.
If you still want to learn VB you should consider trying Visual Studio Express 2005 for the reasons mentioned above.
XeononyX
vashish87 wrote:
Ever thought of trying Visual Studio Express? It's got .net support, plus it's completely FREE. And it's got debugging to die for.

Definately the way to go. You can't go wrong learning this language it is definately the way of the Virtual Basic future.

I do however miss the Control Arrays and sometimes I have to revert back to 6.0 sometimes for Control Arrays unfortunate as it is.
lSaKenl
I cant see anything wrong with learning VB6..... it just depends on each person, for example, i dont like portability languages, such as java, c# and many, why? because people who use my programs will have to download the runtime things and some people rather to leave than wait a few more and download more things.
XeononyX
?? We're not saying VB6.0 is wrong were just saying jumping to VB express will eliminate the need to learn something in the VERY near future.

Also I'm not really sure what you mean by a language NOT having runtimes, maybe it's the way you're wording it; but assure you VB6.0 does DEFINATELY need runtime files. However since it's a microsoft product most users already have them but never assume that the user already does. There are many times I have experienced users try to grab a raw 6.0 .exe file to get kicked out by missing runtimes. Always distribute your VB software with the package and development wizard and you are good to go.

And just so you don't think I'm blowing smoke out my nose I have the VB 6.0 runtime files here (which is indeed legal to distribute):

http://xeononyx.frihost.net/downloads/Index.html
lSaKenl
yeah, well, it is the way i worded it....
i didnt mean runtime files at all........ (at all)... since with new visual basic, you need the .NET framework (that it is a bunch of thousands of runtime files) it is the same to think that you need special runtime files to run VB 2005 or so programs... with vb6, you dont need anything, maybe couple times, only one file and that's all, whatever, if you were planning on eliminate the need of learning something else in the future then..... just learn C++, it will always be there for programmers.
XeononyX
I agree but he's not asking about C++ he's asking about VB Smile
JBotAlan
As soon as I got my hands on VB6 I loved it. There's nothing out there that's easier to prototype programs for anything better than VB. I haven't used .NET because I'm under the impression that it's a bloated piece. My dad uses it for his work, but I still like VB6. I tinkered with Python, but it seemed like it would easily get really complicated when making a Windows app. C++ is way too complicated for windows apps, too. I like http://www.a1vbcode.com (I am in no way affiliated with them, I just like their code). There's a bunch of example projects there, and fully functional programs, everything is open-source. I also like http://www.sourceforge.net , they host thousands of open-source programs. You have to watch out; many of them are not in VB, and a bunch aren't even for Windows....

JBot
rayx
VB6 is an old IDE now use VB8 instead.
XeononyX
JBotAlan wrote:
I haven't used .NET because I'm under the impression that it's a bloated piece.

Express Is Pretty Nice Actually: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/

rayx wrote:
VB6 is an old IDE now use VB8 instead.

I'll wait until it drops out of beta status first.
JBotAlan
I can't seem to find a dedicated page for VB8 on Microsoft's website. Where did you find it? I'm fine with beta software (heck, that probably means it's free for awhile), but I would like to find something besides the specification on Microsoft's labyrinth of a site. Is it just me, or is Microsoft's search engine really, incredibly crappy? I search for DirectX, and after 7-8 entries of garbage (overviews on what DirectX does, specific help pages, developer entries) I actually find the Downloads link, but I don't know if it's the right version because it has a version number after it and the developer docs have a later number on them...their site's a mess.

JBot
blueray
the language choose is depends on each person and the job in which must completed. It not fixed to which one.

However, as the currently and furture roadmap, .net it might be the only choose for developing high level application, e.g crm, accounting.
because it based-on true oop style. It made reading and coding much easily than c++ and provides more function than vb6 using bcl.

of course, for lower-level and performance is top priorty, c++, pascal, assembly were the only choose.

But I dont found that any reason for now to learning vb6. The extra is you have to maintain the old project created by other people.
rayx
JBotAlan wrote:
I can't seem to find a dedicated page for VB8 on Microsoft's website. Where did you find it? I'm fine with beta software (heck, that probably means it's free for awhile), but I would like to find something besides the specification on Microsoft's labyrinth of a site. Is it just me, or is Microsoft's search engine really, incredibly crappy? I search for DirectX, and after 7-8 entries of garbage (overviews on what DirectX does, specific help pages, developer entries) I actually find the Downloads link, but I don't know if it's the right version because it has a version number after it and the developer docs have a later number on them...their site's a mess.

JBot

Try to search microsoft visual studio 2005 express it is a free downloaded version of visual studio at msdn website. http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/
jwellsy
I like the Microsoft step by step books like this one
http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=e9c71150-0874-4952-b3e8-ca67f26fb664&crumb=srch&qu=step+by+step&gpid=b53a16e8-3b28-4467-bf16-b481ad07e833

I usually get my computer books from ebay.
I hate paying $50 or more for a book.
gaudi
http://www.officecomputertraining.com/vbtutorial/tutpages/default.asp