FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Usual Suspects-- You mean everybody HASN'T seen it?

zanzou
Today is the last day of frosh week at my university. Through the five days of meeting people, the topic of "The Usual Suspects" keeps seeming to come up, partically because two of my roommates haven't seen it-- one hasn't even heard of it.

And actually, a lot of people haven't seen it at all, either.

So who here has seen the movie? When did you see it? Have you not seen any of the other must-sees of movie-dom?

I haven't seen:
>Any of the Godfather movies
>Scarface
>The Shawshank Redemption

I'm sure there's more, but I just can't think of them off the top of my head.
Shike
zanzou wrote:
Today is the last day of frosh week at my university. Through the five days of meeting people, the topic of "The Usual Suspects" keeps seeming to come up, partically because two of my roommates haven't seen it-- one hasn't even heard of it.

And actually, a lot of people haven't seen it at all, either.

So who here has seen the movie? When did you see it? Have you not seen any of the other must-sees of movie-dom?

I haven't seen:
>Any of the Godfather movies
>Scarface
>The Shawshank Redemption

I'm sure there's more, but I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

Well Lets see here. I've seen (and own) the Usual Suspects. I have seen the Shawshank Redemption, but not the other two (i'm not really into those mafia movies). I think the Lord of the Rings Trilogy can be put on that list, as it has become an instant classic. But other than that, I can't think of any other "Must See's".
gh0stface
I thought Scarface was a so-so movie. Mainly because everyone kept hyping it up for me. So when I finally watched it, it kind of fell flat. It was good, but I didn't think it was anything special.

The Godfather movies, I thought were just plain slow and boring. Mainly because I read the book first and the book was 20x better. There were a lot of subplots and detailed information.

I think another must see movie for college students is Boondock Saints. It's pretty much a cult classic on college campuses.
zanzou
gh0stface wrote:
I thought Scarface was a so-so movie. Mainly because everyone kept hyping it up for me. So when I finally watched it, it kind of fell flat. It was good, but I didn't think it was anything special.

The Godfather movies, I thought were just plain slow and boring. Mainly because I read the book first and the book was 20x better. There were a lot of subplots and detailed information.

I think another must see movie for college students is Boondock Saints. It's pretty much a cult classic on college campuses.

True, hyping things up can ruin them... I hope that hasn't happenned for me.

I didn't even know that the Godfather was based off of books-- I think, if I never end up watching them, I'll look for the books. :]

I also LOVED the Boondock Saints. :D My copy is currently lent out, though. :( I'm not sure I'd call it a classic, but it is very enjoyable.

Shike wrote:

Well Lets see here. I've seen (and own) the Usual Suspects. I have seen the Shawshank Redemption, but not the other two (i'm not really into those mafia movies). I think the Lord of the Rings Trilogy can be put on that list, as it has become an instant classic. But other than that, I can't think of any other "Must See's".

I would NOT say the Rings Trilogy was a classic-- I read the books first, and couldn't get myself to watch RotK because of how much the movies pissed me off. I was (and am) a huge fan of the books; watching the movies at some points was just PAINFUL.
Traveller
Great movie! I saw it when I was in a barbershop quartet back in Skokie. Wink

Kevin Spacey gives a great performance, and the ending (please don't respond with spoilers) was phenomenal.

As far as the others are concerned:
  • Godfather - Not bad, but I would consider the first one to be the only "must see" of the three.
  • Scarface - I presume you mean the more recent, Al Pacino version. It was good, but was probably one of the most gratuitously violent movies I have ever seen, and if I were to recommend this to anyone, it would also be with quite a number of caveats.
  • The Shawshank Redemption - Now this is a gem, and definitely a "must see." Of course, just about anything (though not quite everything) with Morgan Freeman should be seen.

The difficulty about The Usual Suspects is that it's difficult to discuss it, in depth, without bring up some kind of spoiler.

As far as your roommates are concerned, I would suggest you get them and a bunch of other dormmates together for a "Who is Keyser Soze" night, get a bunch of pizzas, and all watch the movie.

Enjoy!
rein
omg it's been ages since i last saw usual suspects. I used to see it atleast once every year. It's one of my all-time favorite movies.

Shawshank redemption is a definate must-see. I haven't seen any of the godfather-ones or scarface either. Dunno why but they don't appeal to me.

Another amazing mafia-flick is Donnie Brasco. No, i didn't mistype donnie darko Wink Brasco is the story of an undercover cop (johnny depp) who gets introduced into the mafia by a respected crook (Al Pacino).

imdb: lookie here
rip8fan1
Never seen the Usual Suspects, not sure if I want to see it!!

Other 'classics' that you should see (that have not already been mentioned):

Rocky (the first one)
Animal House
The Shining
Shike
zanzou wrote:
I would NOT say the Rings Trilogy was a classic-- I read the books first, and couldn't get myself to watch RotK because of how much the movies pissed me off. I was (and am) a huge fan of the books; watching the movies at some points was just PAINFUL.

Now, you see, I feel just the opposite (which is probably why I suggested it Smile ). I find Tolkien's writing a little to academic for my "pleasure" reading. But also keep in mind, I am currently (studying on my own) the Bible, The Koran, Plato, Aristotle, Neitze, Celtic Myth and History, Japanese History, and many other Academic persuits.

But for pure "pleasure" I prefer the movies to the books, if I were to do an actual study I would lock up the movies and spend (probably) months pouring over the books.
zanzou
Shike wrote:
Now, you see, I feel just the opposite (which is probably why I suggested it :) ). I find Tolkien's writing a little to academic for my "pleasure" reading. But also keep in mind, I am currently (studying on my own) the Bible, The Koran, Plato, Aristotle, Neitze, Celtic Myth and History, Japanese History, and many other Academic persuits.

But for pure "pleasure" I prefer the movies to the books, if I were to do an actual study I would lock up the movies and spend (probably) months pouring over the books.

I think it took me a month, total, to read all 3... and I was 12 at the time I first read them.

Maybe it's because I find book reading to be a really great way to relax, I dunno.... but any time I've read the book, I've liked it more than the movie.
Shike
zanzou wrote:
I think it took me a month, total, to read all 3... and I was 12 at the time I first read them.

Maybe it's because I find book reading to be a really great way to relax, I dunno.... but any time I've read the book, I've liked it more than the movie.

I here you there. Smile But, for me specifically, the LOTR books "feel" more academic than I usually like for my relaxation reading.
fashioncrimewave
I first saw "Usual Suspects" at a free screening in college... so it must have been shortly after it was in the theater. I used to have a VHS tape but haven't replaced it with DVD (yet).
gh0stface
zanzou wrote:

I also LOVED the Boondock Saints. Very Happy My copy is currently lent out, though. Sad I'm not sure I'd call it a classic, but it is very enjoyable.

Among the college campus, I think it's fair to say Boondock Saints IS a college classic. Anywhere you go, from dorms to house parties, you're bound to see a copy of it in there DVD collection.
zanzou wrote:
Shike wrote:
Now, you see, I feel just the opposite (which is probably why I suggested it Smile ). I find Tolkien's writing a little to academic for my "pleasure" reading. But also keep in mind, I am currently (studying on my own) the Bible, The Koran, Plato, Aristotle, Neitze, Celtic Myth and History, Japanese History, and many other Academic persuits.

I agree. The books were far more intuitive then the movie. There was tons of stuff left out of the movie that can be found in the book that were pretty important. Although it's kind of understandable why they had to leave it out. As the movies were nearly 3 hours long a piece. The movies were good, they helped visualize what was going on when you read the book, but end the end, the book is 20x better. Even though sometimes you had to force your way through to read Tolkiens passages that seemed to go for pages and pages.
okullar
I saw all of them and I think all are great films. Especially Godfather partII is best of them, I think. Shawshank Redemption is very surprizing as you know, and Usual Suspects too...