FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

get around firewall

IceNinjaa
im at college right now and the school's network apparently has one of, if not the, strongest firewalls in the city. so much so you cant even use ps2 online or xbox live. i really want to use limewire but because of this it makes it near impossible to do so.

are there any ways, that can be undetectable to those maintaining the network as to what i am doing,to get around it?
Animal
Try speaking to your systems administrator to have it allowed... but I doubt you'll have any success - it'll be blocked for a reason!

The problem is that if you use the college network to illegally share and download files, the college are liable. If caught, they would be prosecuted. It's therefore highly unlikely that you'll be able to get it to work, and highly likely that you would be caught if you did get it to work.
{name here}
IceNinjaa wrote:
im at college right now and the school's network apparently has one of, if not the, strongest firewalls in the city. so much so you cant even use ps2 online or xbox live. i really want to use limewire but because of this it makes it near impossible to do so.

are there any ways, that can be undetectable to those maintaining the network as to what i am doing,to get around it?

If you can set the ports to something less conspicuous, like 80 and 21(standard HTTP and FTP ports), then you might be able to sneak past. But heed Animal's word: Don't be stupid and download something illegal, especially on limewire, emule, kazaa, etc.
lSaKenl
in some schools in my country happens the same thing... and i've seen that most schools or corp. has windows based firewalls, try using linux, it've worked in any school i've tryed and ppl from forums like you ^^
LethcanAernis
lSaKenl wrote:
in some schools in my country happens the same thing... and i've seen that most schools or corp. has windows based firewalls, try using linux, it've worked in any school i've tryed and ppl from forums like you ^^

Did you even read the question or did you just wanted to do a post with Linux in it?

It is a firewall! he didn' say it was a windows or Linux or anything!
Besides that doesn't matter.. Linux or windows.. it is still TCP/IP!

Tired of people who think they get credit for saying "Linux" Evil or Very Mad
icedrakon
The answer is port redirection but you might download viruses so am not recomended
Flakky
LethcanAernis wrote:
lSaKenl wrote:

Did you even read the question or did you just wanted to do a post with Linux in it?

It is a firewall! he didn' say it was a windows or Linux or anything!
Besides that doesn't matter.. Linux or windows.. it is still TCP/IP!

Tired of people who think they get credit for saying "Linux" Evil or Very Mad
You are not really on-topic by attacking Linux users, and he/she was talking about a possibility, the topic starter did not said anything about an OS so any OS is an option and he/she gave a possible answer in case it was a Windows OS running based on a firewall.

Anyway, this would be very hard since most schools link their network to one single computer which handles all the information and that computer can block the information (at least on my school). The only possibility is to place a bomb near that computer in the hope only the right parts will be blown of and not the whole school Razz
iNs@nE
Animal wrote:
Try speaking to your systems administrator to have it allowed... but I doubt you'll have any success - it'll be blocked for a reason!

The problem is that if you use the college network to illegally share and download files, the college are liable. If caught, they would be prosecuted. It's therefore highly unlikely that you'll be able to get it to work, and highly likely that you would be caught if you did get it to work.

He wanted a way past it. It would be stupid of him to post and ask for it if he could get the job done by talking to the admin..

ANd this topic should have been closed if you didnt realize. This is asking for hackz and bypass and thats against discussion of these forum rules.
BlueVD
Well, you need a socks4 or a socks5 server. But most probably the port will be blocked anyway...
So here's a free alternative:
http://your-freedom.net/
Make and account, download the program, read the help and happy dowloading.
xbcd
{name here} wrote:
IceNinjaa wrote:

If you can set the ports to something less conspicuous, like 80 and 21(standard HTTP and FTP ports), then you might be able to sneak past. But heed Animal's word: Don't be stupid and download something illegal, especially on limewire, emule, kazaa, etc.
since they have a enterprise firewall it will still not work. Since all new firewalls can sniff packets to look for p2p related traffic. Actually the linksys wrt54gl wireless router using the dd-wrt firmware can do this so this is why i know. All i can say is use bittorrent with azureus and turn on protcol encryption so the packets can't be sniffed