FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

HTML in posts

Bikerman
Hi guys,
I notice that there is a facility to post html but that it is (for me at least) turned off.
I understand that enabling it would potentially open the system to various attacks but html would make posting answers to many science questions much easier (personally speaking) as I prepare most of my on-line notes and other materials for my site in html and I could simply cut and paste the diagrams/content/tables etc into a message when needing something other than plain text. Since I'm mainly a science poster there are many times when diagrams/charts/tables are needed for a complete posting.
Is there any chance of this being enabled ?
It costs nothing to ask :-)

Regards
Chris
CyanEyed
Bikerman wrote:
Hi guys,
I notice that there is a facility to post html but that it is (for me at least) turned off.
I understand that enabling it would potentially open the system to various attacks but html would make posting answers to many science questions much easier (personally speaking) as I prepare most of my on-line notes and other materials for my site in html and I could simply cut and paste the diagrams/content/tables etc into a message when needing something other than plain text. Since I'm mainly a science poster there are many times when diagrams/charts/tables are needed for a complete posting.
Is there any chance of this being enabled ?
It costs nothing to ask Smile

Regards
Chris

if Bondings wants to enable he will but the downsides outweigh the benefits. also, *almost* everything that can be done in HTML can be done in BBCode.

although i do see what u mean it can make things a bit annoying when u have to convert HTML to BBcode
Bikerman
CyanEyed wrote:

if Bondings wants to enable he will but the downsides outweigh the benefits. also, *almost* everything that can be done in HTML can be done in BBCode.

although i do see what u mean it can make things a bit annoying when u have to convert HTML to BBcode

I'll check out this BBcode then and see if I can work out some shortcuts..

Chris
mathiaus
This plugin for Firefox should help you out as well. Depending on you HTML content you may be able to copy it as BBCode for easy use Smile
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1505/
Bikerman
mathiaus wrote:
This plugin for Firefox should help you out as well. Depending on you HTML content you may be able to copy it as BBCode for easy use :)
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1505/

You, sir, are a gentleman and no doubt a scholar :-)

xC
Bondings
Bikerman, there are really severe security problems with the html code and I really don't want these message boards to be hacked. There is really no possibility that I would enable html.

However if you need some specific things, there is a good chance some bbcode already exists for it or at least I can implement it.
Bikerman
Bondings wrote:
Bikerman, there are really severe security problems with the html code and I really don't want these message boards to be hacked. There is really no possibility that I would enable html.

However if you need some specific things, there is a good chance some bbcode already exists for it or at least I can implement it.

I completely understand, don't worry.
The main thing is tables - I use them a lot in my normal html site and it would be nice to put data into tabular form without buggering around with spacer characters or other workarounds...Can this be done in BBCode ? If so that is a biggie.
The other main feature I use a lot is little Javascript routines for stuff like animating diagrams, demonstrations of maths and physics models etc etc.
There is an example of this here used to show the principle of least action. I have quite a few more.
http://camres.frih.net/mathslab/intermediate/leastaction/LeastAction.html

If you can't sort it then don't worry - I carry on doing what I do now - dump them into my web space and link to them...It would be nice to be able to format them in messages but it's not a must.
Cheers
Chris
Traveller
Bikerman wrote:
The main thing is tables - I use them a lot in my normal html site and it would be nice to put data into tabular form without buggering around with spacer characters or other workarounds

Chris,

If nothing else, one possible workaround may be to set it up as you normally would, then take a snapshot of the screen and post the image. Of course, you'd have to strike some kind of balance so the images would not be so large they would overwhelm people who have slower connections.

Bondings,

Might this fit the bill, and would it work for Chris without being a security (or other) problem?
Bikerman
Traveller wrote:

If nothing else, one possible workaround may be to set it up as you normally would, then take a snapshot of the screen and post the image. Of course, you'd have to strike some kind of balance so the images would not be so large they would overwhelm people who have slower connections.

That's do-able. I've got some screen capture software somewhere in my pile of DVDs

Cheers
Chris
Traveller
Bikerman wrote:
That's do-able. I've got some screen capture software somewhere in my pile of DVDs

If you're using Windows, just press CTRL-ALT-PrintScreen, and it will be captured to the clipboard. Then you can paste it into something where you can crop out what you don't need and resize the image to something manageable.
Bikerman
Traveller wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

If you're using Windows, just press CTRL-ALT-PrintScreen, and it will be captured to the clipboard. Then you can paste it into something where you can crop out what you don't need and resize the image to something manageable.

Nah...I can do better than that...somewhere I've got some really nice screengrab software that scales, tiles, distorts - the lot...be easier than pulling it into photoshop everytime - I should be able to set up a standard template that will size it right for transfer...

C.
tidruG
THe simplest option, Chris, is to capture the image as Traveller said, and then use Paint to crop out the parts you don't need. It's really simple. Just use the Rectangular selection tool to select the table you want to show, cut it and paste it in a new Paint file. Save as JPG and upload to some image host or to your web-space.
Best of luck.
Bikerman
tidruG wrote:
THe simplest option, Chris, is to capture the image as Traveller said, and then use Paint to crop out the parts you don't need. It's really simple. Just use the Rectangular selection tool to select the table you want to show, cut it and paste it in a new Paint file. Save as JPG and upload to some image host or to your web-space.
Best of luck.

Nah, the simplest option is the one I've now setup.
Press alt-shift-f1 to capture. A box appears which can be sized. Hit enter to capture and it stores it AFTER it first checks the resolution and for anything above 640x480 it adjusts it to a standard 640x480 VGA res and then reduces the size proportionately. I'm quite chufed with it actually - knocked it up last night and it works a treat. No need to trim afterwards and no chance of an oversized image...(I use a package called SmartGrab and I knocked the post-processing up in Visual Basic and added it as a plugin...works very nicely
My problem is that I run a 21 inch monitor and a 26 inch monitor at the same time (I need them for running Cubase comfortably) and they are both set to 1600*1200 resolution so if I forget, I end up posting a huge image to the board which is fine on my screen but is way too big for the average 800x600 17 inch monitor.... This avoids me forgetting :-)

Chris/.
XeononyX
A perfect example of why html shouldn't be implemented in a serious forum or board is myspace, which is utter chaos, you can do to much damaging things with html and if html was implemented you know this board would get flooded with you tubes, music videos, etc.. its just pure horrible.

I have html turned on in my forum but the makers of phpBB made it where you can define which tags are allowed mine are are currently :
Code:
b,i,u,pre
(which is default)

if you can sweet talk bondings sticking a ,table in there is a posibility, but bbCode hacks would be far superior route for a pbpbb forum.

Bikerman wrote:

Cheers
Chris

Go with GIMP it's free and superior: http://www.gimp.org
Bikerman
Thanks to everyone for their help with this. I appreciate it chaps.

Heres a test to see if I can still write VB code....who am I kidding, I've not cranked code seriously for over 10 yrs...this took me nearly all night - a pro would have cranked it in about half an hour...
:oops:

Yep - I guess it works fine...rescaled it luverly :-)

C.
tidruG
Well, the image was sized 1280x1024... so if you were meaning to resize it to that size, then yes it worked Razz
Bikerman
Damn...slight hitch...I thought it was too good to be true...wrtiting bug free code ? Surely not. My monitors are at 1600*1200 so it looked like what I aimed for (800*6000) at my brief glance...now...where's that saource code.....

Thanks for the heads up.

C